On board computer systems?

Aug 2004

Question On board computer systems?

While watching the Tour de France, I was quite intrigued with the electronics the riders were using. Periodically during the race, the commentators would mention rider's heart rate. I noticed that they weren't wearing the heart rate pickup strap around their chests. How are they able to pick up the rider's heart rate, speed etc? I also noticed that they were wearing an ear piece for communications. Obviously they are able to pick up communications from another source. What kind of gear are they using and how does it all work?

Mar 2004

I saw a strap on a few of them,

but not on most of them. I noticed one on Ekimov, and that made me realize I hadn't seen them on the others, and I was wondering the same thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    No chest strap, no heart rate monitor. Ususally you cant't see it because of a base layer or zipped to high. The communications they wear are to the DS only who communicates instructions and race info. The only new piece of electronics for use by TdF organizers was a little yellow fin that attached to the non drive side chainstay on each riders bike. This was a GPS device andgave specific info on the loation of each rider, could probably have been used for time splits but they still used traditional timing for that. Probably because if there was a mechanical that bike would then be on the roof of the team car or because in the event of a crash a domestique will sometimes give his bike to the team leader and wait for the team car to get a new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    i am pretty sure rebock makes a hrm that picks up your distal pulse in your wrist... I think for the most part the strap was just covered, or the rider didnt have a hrm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I thought I saw quite a few riders with HRM chest straps. Maybe I was seeing things...wouldn't be the first or last time that happened.

Jun 2003
    You might find this interesting

http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/index.html

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz
    No chest strap, no heart rate monitor. Ususally you cant't see it because of a base layer or zipped to high. The communications they wear are to the DS only who communicates instructions and race info. The only new piece of electronics for use by TdF organizers was a little yellow fin that attached to the non drive side chainstay on each riders bike. This was a GPS device andgave specific info on the loation of each rider, could probably have been used for time splits but they still used traditional timing for that. Probably because if there was a mechanical that bike would then be on the roof of the team car or because in the event of a crash a domestique will sometimes give his bike to the team leader and wait for the team car to get a new bike.
    Speaking of GPS. On my ride today, I was wishing I had a GSP system that would help me know where I was on my route. In addition to the map, it could give distance, speed, average speed, max speed, altitude, etc. Am I dreaming, or does this already exist?
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    yes it does... and they even make handle bar mounts for gps units. it would tell you where you were in your ride, with some added software it could give you a pretty detailed map elevation speed ect... some of them even have a virtual riding buddy who will set a pace and it shows if you are ahead or behind him.