Bontrager RideTime antics
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018

Bontrager RideTime antics

I returned a Bontrager RideTime because the speed indicator was displaying crazy readings. These were extreme swings; 15 mph to 30 mph to 8 mph; even doing this while standing still.

They gave me a new one (Bontrager seems to have pretty good customer support) at my LBS.

Now the new one is doing the same thing. This is only speed; distance, average speed, time and everything else is functioning properly. Since all readings come from the same sensor, it can't be sensor, its position on the wheel, nor the batteries. Otherwise all the readings would be affected.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with RideTime?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
    I returned a Bontrager RideTime because the speed indicator was displaying crazy readings. These were extreme swings; 15 mph to 30 mph to 8 mph; even doing this while standing still.

They gave me a new one (Bontrager seems to have pretty good customer support) at my LBS.

Now the new one is doing the same thing. This is only speed; distance, average speed, time and everything else is functioning properly. Since all readings come from the same sensor, it can't be sensor, its position on the wheel, nor the batteries. Otherwise all the readings would be affected.

Not specific to this unit but lots of stories about power lines affecting readings. Hard to see how other functions are working correctly while speed fluctuates wildly as anything other than a defect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post

You don't mention if the wild swings occur all the time, or only occasionally. I'm guessing only occasionally, as that would explain why average speed and trip distance seem unaffected.

I have no personal experience with RideTime, but what you describe sounds like a common problem of most simpler wireless computers. The speed and optional RPM transmitters on these simpler wireless computers can easily be overwhelmed by nearby electrical/radio noise.

As a test, try turning off or removing all other electronics from you and your bike, including headlights, cell phone, GPS, HRM, etc. Any of these devices can generate electrical/radio noise that can easily overwhelm simpler wireless bike computers. As an example, I have personally found some of my headlights causing the bike computer to mess with the bike computer speed.

Also make sure the wheel transmitter battery is fresh and the wheel transmitter is located as close to the bike computer as possible. A weak battery, or the transmitter positioned too far away from the computer can lead to a weaker speed signal which can be more easily overwhelmed by other noise.

As Kerry indicates, things like nearby power lines, security systems, trucks, traffic lights controllers can also cause interference. Around here, there a couple farms that I ride by where my simpler bike computers register 0MPH until I am well past, and there are also a couple nearby traffic intersections where the computer thinks I'm going 45-60MPH, even when I'm stopped.

A wired computer or an ANT based wireless computer should also solve your problem. With my ANT based wireless computer systems that I have used almost exclusively for the last several years, I have had no interference problems.