Bottecchia Duello 2011?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019

Bottecchia Duello 2011?

Hello all its ice to be part of this community. So I will cut to the chase. I am from Greece and I live in Albania for the time being. Anyway I went to the car servis I usually go and I see this beautiful bottecchia just standing there. He told me it could be mine dor 200euros. However he has changed the handlebar to a Riser and shifters to shimano. What do you guys think? Is it worth it for 200euros for in city use? Or is it too good price which means is probably stolen? Thanks in advance guys

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Back in the 1970's I saw many Bottecchias, some cheap and some expensive. Who knows if this is one of the good ones? But if you like the looks and it fits you, give it a ride. Yes, it will take work and money to restore it or to make it a racing bicycle once more, but it you love it and the owner lowers the price enough, why not?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Back in the 1970's I saw many Bottecchias, some cheap and some expensive. Who knows if this is one of the good ones? But if you like the looks and it fits you, give it a ride. Yes, it will take work and money to restore it or to make it a racing bicycle once more, but it you love it and the owner lowers the price enough, why not?
    Well its not that old. Its a 2011 one and in good shape. I actually though its stolen at that price

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lestat90 View Post
    Well its not that old. Its a 2011 one and in good shape. I actually though its stolen at that price
    Here's the 2011 Bottechia catalogue, the Duello is on pages 40,41. It appears the base model (Duello RS230 )comes stock with Shimano 105. Looks good. An aluminum frame , and a mixed CF/Aluminum fork.

https://issuu.com/gusellaadv/docs/bottecchia/40

The price isn't that low; I recently traded in a 2012 Bianchi for $200, that was originally $1400. For all you know, it may have a lot of miles on it. Buying a used bike nowadays is always a safety risk since you don't know the history of it. As such, used bikes have to be priced accordingly.

You should definitely inspect the bike for any signs of damage, particularly the CF Fork. Fortunately the frame is aluminum, and the fork steerer is aluminum, so that's a plus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by M-theory View Post
    Here's the 2011 Bottechia catalogue, the Duello is on pages 40,41. It appears the base model (Duello RS230 )comes stock with Shimano 105. Looks good. An aluminum frame , and a mixed CF/Aluminum fork.

https://issuu.com/gusellaadv/docs/bottecchia/40

The price isn't that low; I recently traded in a 2012 Bianchi for $200, that was originally $1400. For all you know, it may have a lot of miles on it. Buying a used bike nowadays is always a safety risk since you don't know the history of it. As such, used bikes have to be priced accordingly.

You should definitely inspect the bike for any signs of damage, particularly the CF Fork. Fortunately the frame is aluminum, and the fork steerer is aluminum, so that's a plus.
    Thanks man i will see if I can get it to 150euros. However I will try it tomorrow because its size 51 and I am 180cm tall. So I got to see how comfortable it is

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lestat90 View Post
    Thanks man i will see if I can get it to 150euros. However I will try it tomorrow because its size 51 and I am 180cm tall. So I got to see how comfortable it is
    A 180 cm guy would best fit a frame in the 54-57 cm top tube range. A dropped top tube on a 54 cm frame would be around 51 cm. The chart shows a 54 cm top tube on their 51 cm frame. So you're "in the ballpark" to achieve a satisfactory fit.

If the frame is too small, the optimum saddle height will be too high and you'll need a long stem on the handlebars if you go back to dropped bars. Fore-aft balance, the major determinant of comfort and handling, should be 40% on the bars and 60% on the saddle.

200 euros [223 USD] is still a fair price for a 10 year old aluminum bike with 105 level stuff on it. Are the wheels true, brake surfaces not totally trashed out? Chain still drop into the freewheel sprockets, not ride over the tops? Does seller know how many miles are on it? Does seller have the original drop handlebars? Original brake lever/shifters? If so, the bike would make a nice entry level serious performance bike. Bikes of that quality would have sold in the US for $1500-2500, about the limit most first time buyers would go.

These bikes get things dialed in very close to the top of the line. They won't get dropped in a paceline with the best. It'll be all in the legs. 105 aluminum will get riders hooked on the "good stuff" and a few years later upgrade to the best! As me how I know!

If it fits, grab it, IMO. 200 euros is still a fair price for that quality level bike.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:41 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    I haven't checked all that but thanks man truly appreciate it.
    This is it
    https://imgur.com/a/qzUaDYa