Braiding bar tape
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Braiding bar tape

Anyone here ever braid 2 rolls of Cinelli or other cork tape? Just wondering how it went and whether it offers a little more padding than a standard 1 roll wrap. Also, not sure Cinelli can take the twisting and maybe would tear.

Never Give Up!
    I personally have never braided my bar tape but seen a few pictures on-line....

Seems like a lot of work and waste of money (using two new rolls of tape vs one) only have to removed it later after it wears down/gets dirty.

I have doubled wrapped tape in the past to aid in the little more padding, but only wrapping the new tape over the old after it's served its purpose!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yes I do it on all my bikes when I put on new. Yes, more cush. I don't know about Cinelli, if you post a link, I'll look at it.
    I prefer to get flatter tape that doesn't have thinning edge with a thick center, it just seems to work better. I get 2 colors, you don't have to do it to get cush, just put a layer of cush (tape or packing cush) on top of your bars, then just wrap them normally.
    But I like the checkered look, stands out in the bike crowd, everyone knows your a biker and not a poiser.

It actually lasts a lot longer than twice installed single rolls, due to the fact that it interlocks and doesn't shift much once on. Hardly ever moves, never needs replacement.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    everyone knows your a biker
    Or they know you're into arts & crafts and probably scrap-booking.

Just kidding. I've never even heard of braiding bar tape. I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: it actually looks super cool! But I don't have the patience to do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Yes I do it on all my bikes when I put on new. Yes, more cush. I don't know about Cinelli, if you post a link, I'll look at it.
    I prefer to get flatter tape that doesn't have thinning edge with a thick center, it just seems to work better. I get 2 colors, you don't have to do it to get cush, just put a layer of cush (tape or packing cush) on top of your bars, then just wrap them normally.
    But I like the checkered look, stands out in the bike crowd, everyone knows your a biker and not a poiser.

It actually lasts a lot longer than twice installed single rolls, due to the fact that it interlocks and doesn't shift much once on. Hardly ever moves, never needs replacement.

Good Info.. Thanks!
    Can you show some of your wraps?
    Last edited by rudge66; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:32 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks, Duriel as that was the kind of info I was searching. Found 2 methods online; one was the harlequin (definitely braided) whereas the other was more side-by-side tiger stripe effect. Friends I raced with often braided their tape, but I never gave it much thought back then.

The Cinelli tape I referred to was their cork tape. They have made it more durable lately by using less cork. It has always been my preferred single wrap so I was contemplating a 2 color braid of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    The Benotto plastic tape was awesome to braid.

Other tapes can be used too.
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...cs-292351.html