Buy new wheelset, or buy new bike? [Newbie Alert!]
    Cannot bench own weight

Buy new wheelset, or buy new bike? [Newbie Alert!]

I've been riding for only a year. Well, not even. It will be a year in July.

My current bike is a 2003 Specialized Allez Sport. It's been a great bike to me. The problem I have with it is the wheelset isn't good for my size. I'm 240 and the wheels have a big problem getting out of true and with spokes becoming dangerously loose.

After talking to some people (friends, local bike store), the consensus is that Mavic Ksyrium SSC wheels would be great for my size.

Here's where I need some advice: I don't think it would be a big deal to put $800 wheels on an $800 dollar bike, however the people I was talking to thought otherwise. The bike shop recommends just getting a new bike that comes with the SSCs (2004 Cannondale R1000 w/SSCs, ~$1800).

Obviously i'm not a racer or even a serious amateur (yet), so which would make more sense for me? $800 wheels on an $800 bike, or an $1800 bike?

Go Blue

Are you sure about the weight/wheel thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    I'm 240 and the wheels have a big problem getting out of true and with spokes becoming dangerously loose.

After talking to some people (friends, local bike store), the consensus is that Mavic Ksyrium SSC wheels would be great for my size.
    Are you sure about your weight and the Ksyriums? I have some recollection that 180 was the weight limit for them. I really like my Ksyriums, but I am 160.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Nov 2001

My current bike is a 2003 Specialized Allez Sport. It's been a great bike to me. The problem I have with it is the wheelset isn't good for my size. I'm 240 and the wheels have a big problem getting out of true and with spokes becoming dangerously loose.

Here's where I need some advice: I don't think it would be a big deal to put $800 wheels on an $800 dollar bike, however the people I was talking to thought otherwise. The bike shop recommends just getting a new bike that comes with the SSCs (2004 Cannondale R1000 w/SSCs, ~$1800).

Obviously i'm not a racer or even a serious amateur (yet), so which would make more sense for me? $800 wheels on an $800 bike, or an $1800 bike?
    Just get new wheels with a high spoke count like 36 or 32.
    You can get them built by an on-line outfit with good CP33 Mavic rims, Ultegra hubs and good heavy duty spokes and nipples..
    and you'll be fine.. I started riding 3-4 years ago at 300+lb and my (32 spoke) wheels are doing well! 100lb lose, a few thousands of miles later, and the wheels are still going strong..

NeoRetroGrouch

Neither...

IMHO, if you can even think about spending $800 on wheels, you should be looking at a really nice bike at well over $1800. If you are not ready to do that yet, then just get a pair of good 36 spoke Ultegra/Open Pro (or equivalent) for $200 and wait. $800 on wheels never makes economic sense (does $200??) unless you make your living riding. But if it's just a toy, treat it like a toy and buy what you like and can afford.

TF

"Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Are you sure about your weight and the Ksyriums? I have some recollection that 180 was the weight limit for them. I really like my Ksyriums, but I am 160.
    That's what I was told at the shop. I went in and asked about wheels that would be good for my size. The Ksyriums are what was recommended.

Assuming that they support my size, can the cassette that come on the Allez Sport be used on the Ksyriums?

Cannot bench own weight
    TurboTurtle...
    Paying $800 for wheels doesn't seem all that crazy to me. I want something that will last awhile, and won't have to upgrade when my weight goes down and my skills go up. That's the plan anyway

Censored by *********
    $800 sounds like a lot of money for a non-race wheelset. You could have a high quality set built for you for around $400 at oddsandends.com (I've never used them but others on these boards have reported good results).

The Kysriums, IMO, are average except for their looks and price. They aren't light, which for $800 I think you could reasonably expect. They'd be expensive to repair too. However, loads of people have them (which is a strike against them for me but may be a positive for others), and they are supposed to be very strong. But, again, you could have lighter, cheaper and just as strong if you choose something else.

I don't know what the weight limit, if any, is on the new Shimano Dura Ace wheels. But they are absolutely gorgeous, and about the same price.

TurboTurtle...
    Paying $800 for wheels doesn't seem all that crazy to me. I want something that will last awhile, and won't have to upgrade when my weight goes down and my skills go up. That's the plan anyway
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

Charles Darwin

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
    IMHO, if you can even think about spending $800 on wheels, you should be looking at a really nice bike at well over $1800. If you are not ready to do that yet, then just get a pair of good 36 spoke Ultegra/Open Pro (or equivalent) for $200 and wait. $800 on wheels never makes economic sense (does $200??) unless you make your living riding. But if it's just a toy, treat it like a toy and buy what you like and can afford.

TF
    I have to agree with this. Either:

1. Have a set of 36-spoke straight 14 gauge wire spoke wheels built. Excel or Colorado Cyclist can build a set custom for you way cheaper than what your LBS would charge. If you're satisified with your bike and don't want to spend a lot of money, this would be the way to go.

2. If you have new bike lust, you might want to look for a package deal. A lot of times if you price all the components, they exceed what the bike sells for -- even without the frame. Plus, you're likely to get better components on a newer bike. Ksyriums are speced on a lot of bikes these days, although for $1800, you're going to get the lower end version I suspect.

Ksyriums are good wheels. I've had a set for 3 years and they've been absolutely bullet proof. Only trued them once. I weigh 200 lbs.

Cannot bench own weight
    I'm new at this, so i'm going to investigate everything suggested in this thread. Strength and Durability are my two sticking points. I'm not so concerned about weight, price, or looks. When you're 240, you're not going to notice a few more ounces in a heavier wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepaul
    $800 sounds like a lot of money for a non-race wheelset. You could have a high quality set built for you for around $400 at oddsandends.com (I've never used them but others on these boards have reported good results).

The Kysriums, IMO, are average except for their looks and price. They aren't light, which for $800 I think you could reasonably expect. They'd be expensive to repair too. However, loads of people have them (which is a strike against them for me but may be a positive for others), and they are supposed to be very strong. But, again, you could have lighter, cheaper and just as strong if you choose something else.

I don't know what the weight limit, if any, is on the new Shimano Dura Ace wheels. But they are absolutely gorgeous, and about the same price.

scruffy nerf herder

As amazing as it may seem...

Im gonna agree with Turtle...

Go with the cxp33s or the open pros laced to ultegra... for around $200 almost anywhere. They will be a lot cheaper than the ksyriums. Im not gonna lie, the ksyriums are tough wheels with good performance, but man... at 240, that is a lot of risk and stress on an 18 spoke wheel... I dont care what the rim is.

For all around performance, I could spread that kind of cash a long way... but then again, I have 4 bikes and already have the ksyriums and open pros... but then again... I only weigh 164.

so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Censored by *********
    Why not contact an independent wheel builder like the one I mentioned or Dave at Speed Dream Wheels? You tell them what you need, they provide a solution, or lots of solutions.

http://speeddream.com/

I'm new at this, so i'm going to investigate everything suggested in this thread. Strength and Durability are my two sticking points. I'm not so concerned about weight, price, or looks. When you're 240, you're not going to notice a few more ounces in a heavier wheelset.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

Charles Darwin

hi, I'm Larry

I agree, neither

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle

TF
    Go with a set 36 spoke wheels with Open pros, Mavic CXPs or velocity rims for a lot less than $800. These rims are solid and with 36 spokes in a 3x pattern, very solid. Keep your old set for a backup.

The problem with a new bike is that unless you go for a big buck bike the standard offering wheels are not that great. Often reduced spoke count wheels with high glitz factor and very little substance factor.

Your current bike is a solid bike, nothing wrong with it. A new bike will not make you any faster.

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004

double post, my apologies (nm)

Last edited by godot; 06-01-2004 at 12:04 PM. Reason: i'm not too smart

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004

skip the k's

i'd call excel sports and explain to one of their wheel builders what you are looking for in a wheel, your weight, and how you ride. they'll build you a very solid set of wheels for a less than $300. hard to go wrong with open pros or cxps on ultegra hubs.

swapping cassettes is easy, just need a couple of inexpensive tools.

good luck

Feb 2004

Krysium Elite was my choice

Similar story, but I didn't consider he new bike, my 3 year Lemond Z is plenty for me. LBS recommended the Elite. At 270 lbs., I made them check with Mavic to confirm that there was no weight limit on the wheels or limitation on the warranty.
    This is another one of those calls where the comfort factor with a bike store may cost you some money up front, but gives you some peace of mind if something goes wrong. The Elites were $550 and I've enjoyed a month of trued wheels and less worry on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member

Same Situation Here. (I bought them)

ME:clydesdale 510 227# I bought the Ksyrium SCC SL and got the MP3 warrenty.
    total $870.00

Great set of Wheels least rolling resistance I have ever riden and great on the hill in Orange county and Riverside (the 2 clubs I ride with)

They are exspensive but I will start crit racing next season.

"IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT ODDSANDENDDOS.COM (i thank that is right) I WOULD HAVE ORDERED A SET or TWO FROM THEM FOR THE SAME PRICE".

BUT IF $$$$$ IS NOT A ISSUE !!!!!!!!

steel road, fixie, & MTB

get the new bike, sell (or donate) the old bike

get the new road bike and then sell (or donate) the old bike, but if you want new wheels call Dave's Speed Dreams http://speeddream.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well I'm sorry but those rims are not adequate for your weight. The LBS is just trying to sell you a set of expensive wheels and hope they make it through their warranty period-assuming of course the warranty will be any good with 240 pounds of weight on them when their recommended weight is 180.

I know you want a set of light rims but your not going to find anything racing light that will be reliable. You should consider Mavic OP's or Torelli Master Series or Ambrosio Exellence or the Sun Assualt, ME14A or CR18; all the mentioned rims have double eyelets for greater spoke pull through strength, with 36 spokes for reliablity.

But that's just my opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    The R1000 comes with Ksyrium Elite's, not SSC SL's, unless something has changed. The Elites are good wheels, but not any better than a good pair of 32-hole Open Pro/Ultegra's.

Cannot bench own weight
    I hate to bump a thread that is 3.5 years old, however I wanted to post an update for future searchers.

I ended up buying the R1000, and updating the wheels to SSC. I put 10,000 miles on those wheels with just one truing. I loved them so much I bought another set in 2005, and have put about 6k miles on those, and they have never been trued. I still weigh 240+ (though I have been below that since the original post).

Now that said, I think that going with the suggestions for 32 or 36 spoke wheels. I did have one free hub body explode (the pawls actually burst through the housing). The wheels look great but I really didn't notice a difference when riding my other bikes that are equipped with standard type wheels.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Glad to hear you found something acceptable.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.