Buying bikes: Demo vs. New

Mar 2004

Buying bikes: Demo vs. New

Okay, it's been a while since I purhcased a bike from a LBS, but is it customary to just get the bike that's on the showroom floor? I asked for them to build me a new one from stock and they politely refused. To me that's a demo unit and should be priced accordingly, but maybe it's just me.

Thanks.

Ti me up

It's pretty customary

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Okay, it's been a while since I purhcased a bike from a LBS, but is it customary to just get the bike that's on the showroom floor? I asked for them to build me a new one from stock and they politely refused. To me that's a demo unit and should be priced accordingly, but maybe it's just me.

Thanks.
    It's pretty customary. Same as buying a car - it may have been test-driven a few times, but unless someone has been using it excessively, putting real miles on it, it's not considered a demo. Some shops do have rental fleets, or keep particular bikes just for demos, and they'll price those accordingly.

I wouldn't expect a price break on bikes on the shop floor, especially mass-market bikes, where margins are pretty thin. If you're buying a high-zoot bike, they're likely to be more accommodating. Still and all, to make a sale, most shops probably would have built you one up new if they had one available. At many shops, most/all available stock is already built and on the floor. Or they simply may not have had another one in your size. Or maybe you struck them as a difficult customer. Or maybe the guy before you was a difficult customer. Or....

Hope you find the bike you're looking for and enjoy it.
    Michael

You see lots of happy cyclists. When was the last time you saw a runner smiling?

Jan 2004

My buddy the LBS owner says "Shut up"

I'm inclined to agree with the previous post, and my buddy who owns a bike shop says he's right. A demo bike gets only a few miles on it, and components don't wear out for thousands of miles. He says he'd give a discount for any kind of damage (scratches etc), and for any special stuff (like a crank swap or bar tape) if the guy who ordered it bailed on the deal. When you buy a production-line bike, though, you generally buy off the floor. For what it's worth, I wouldn't have any qualms about doing it.