Campy Asks, "Why Don't You Love Me No 'Mo?" - Page 2

View Poll Results: Will Campagnolo Survive?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... Campy will reign supreme in the future!

16 44.44%
  • No... Campy is already dead to me.

12 33.33%
  • What is this "Campy" you spake of?

8 22.22%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Campyís arrogance allowed them to sit on the sidelines for years while others surpassed their products not only in technology but in price and quality. Campy will never be the prestigious product again.
    It's niche-prestige I think.

I drool most over Red eTap these days. That is real prestige. Shimano is really boring and unattractive. However it works so well I just end up using Shimano anyways. It just works, for reasonable cost and parts availability. Plus avoids the stupidity of Campy's cassette standard. SRAM owns the MTB market, however. Shimano dragged their feet almost as badly as Campagnolo when it comes to MTB groups.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess this is a continuation of this:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...ed-367340.html

Campy is not going away anytime soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I guess this is a continuation of this:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...ed-367340.html
    Pretty much the same comments by the same posters...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    been a cyclist for over half a century, never owned a single item made by Campy.
    I feel for you man. What a loss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Plus avoids the stupidity of Campy's cassette standard.
    At least Campy's hub body doesn't look like these.

Eddy 53:11
    Fixed build
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    At least Campy's hub body doesn't look like these.
    ....Except those hub bodies are made by OEMs ignoring Shimano's spec. Shimano hubs that follow Shimanos spec uses a steel FH body. Thank gram counters for fool OEMs ignoring Shimano's spec and being dumb enough to save 5 grams--and use aluminum on a part resisting steel gear-splines.

Which is why Shimano redesigned the FH body with "microspline"--because they now are accustomed to assuming people and OEMs would continue to be idiots.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Purty

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I think there needs to be the option of "will continue to sputter on for many more years" in the poll. I've got five Campy equipped bikes. For years I rode Dura Ace (7700), then I switched over to Campy. I wouldn't say one is markedly better than the other. I bought a lot of stuff off those UK web sites for about 40% less than what it sells for in the U.S. The cassettes are $100 -- not that bad. Chains and brake pads aren't that much. And they wear a long time.

What Campy had going for it was traditional good looks. Now their cranks look like Shimano. I have a couple steel Merckx bikes with the 11-speed silver Athena. I used Chorus shifters because they are a lot better than the Athena ones. They're beautiful components. So what did Campy do? They discontinued the group in favor of some ugly Potenza group to compete with Ultegra. So far it doesn't seem to be working. I think they ought to make more niche stuff that Shimano doesn't make.

Shimano components are good, but losing Campy would be a big loss to cycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Something perhaps only a Campy owner can relate to and appreciate. Unfortunately, doesn't look like it'll take place this year for obvious reasons.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Cam..._you_at_eroica

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Is anyone here doing the Campy 12-speed test drive thingy? The bikes listed on their site that are within reasonable distance from me are all too small (not that I'd qualify for the test, but...)

https://12speed.campagnolo.com/WW/en...2speed_store_2

RoadBikeReview Member
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post

I have a Merckx frame fetish, I need pics!

I totally agree... if a roadie building a custom European frame set doesn't go Campy, who will!?!?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Is anyone here doing the Campy 12-speed test drive thingy? The bikes listed on their site that are within reasonable distance from me are all too small (not that I'd qualify for the test, but...)
    Same here -- the closest bike in my size is 900 miles away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks, PBL450... nice bike! Being a welded frame, I think Dura-Ace looks appropriate. Had it been a lugged Merckx frame, I'd make you strip those parts off and put Campy on there so as to not offend the bike gods

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    When exemplifying Japanese brand with Italian brand, shouldn't that (in bold) have been "Honda Accord to a Ferrari"?
    Ok, Accords would be just like my mom's boring, well behaved Camry. She still crashed it twice. I think it was overconfidence from not feeling the road.

Great cars and bikes tighten the feedback loop, so rider knows where he's at at all times. Nothing worse than hitting a hill and realizing you're on your last click!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Not wanting to get into a Campy vs. Shimano thread here. Everybody knows that Shimano almost always works as well as it should. Campy? Well, maybe if you're lucky....

Back in the friction-shift days, Campy was premium stuff, Shimano was flimsy, Suntour was a good deal, and Huret was just awful. but things change..About 20-some years ago, during the early Brifter period when only Campy was making hidden shifter cables, I test-rode a bike with full Chorus on it and.......it shifted like a Mack Truck! I don't see things have really improved since then.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Shifts like a Mack truck? Really?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    it shifted like a Mack Truck! I don't see things have really improved since then.
    I wonder if you have tried it since then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not wanting to get into a Campy vs. Shimano thread here. Everybody knows that Shimano almost always works as well as it should. Campy? Well, maybe if you're lucky....
    Well, you just did and your implication is simply false. I've done many of both and they all work just fine, if done correctly.

Back in the friction-shift days, Campy was premium stuff, Shimano was flimsy, Suntour was a good deal, and Huret was just awful. but things change..About 20-some years ago, during the early Brifter period when only Campy was making hidden shifter cables, I test-rode a bike with full Chorus on it and.......it shifted like a Mack Truck! I don't see things have really improved since then.
    Perhaps your characterization of a Mack Truck is part of Campy's appeal. I personally find the actions of Shimano to be too light, and prefers a more tactile and positive action of Campy. That is how Campy is, so there's nothing to "improve".

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

https://12speed.campagnolo.com/WW/en...2speed_store_2
    I'll be riding right past a participating store in a couple hours. Wilier size large with 12-speed electronic, Campy wheels and disc brakes. No tubeless tires though. I'll pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Campy Asks, "Why Don't You Love Me No 'Mo?"
    I'm pretty sure Campy is not asking this question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Shifts like a Mack truck? Really?
    Consider the source.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I remember when Dura Ace click shifting first came out. I had been riding campy because it was cool. Campy wasn't click shift so there was nothing special about it other than it was cool. The brakes were always fiddily. Always adjusting them. I put the Dura Ace on my bike. Perfection shifting click click. I have never looked back.
    Of course now it is DI 2 even more perfection, no adjusting no cables it just works and works. Don't even need Dura Ace now, Ultegra is perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    I remember when Dura Ace click shifting first came out. I had been riding campy because it was cool. Campy wasn't click shift so there was nothing special about it other than it was cool. The brakes were always fiddily. Always adjusting them. I put the Dura Ace on my bike. Perfection shifting click click. I have never looked back.
    I remember when it came out as well. The Nabisco Wheat Thins crit series came through our town and they had several bikes on trainers with SIS set up. I was immediately sold, although in those days I could only afford the 600EX series. But it still clicked and a considerable improvement over friction shifting.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm totally out of the component chase and I'd certainly give Shimano or SRAM a try if I had the notion, but I've always loved the way Campy looked and how it operates.

My early Seventies era down tube Nuovo Record shift levers had a precision and feel that made other groups feel Third World. Yeah, the Nuovo Record brakes needed the grip of a blacksmith to get any braking action but I was plenty strong from playing a Martin D28 with a twisted neck.

When brake lever shifting became the norm I preferred Campy even more. The clicks were both music to my ears and an unequivocal message that indeed the mechanism had done what I requested. I could go from the tiniest cog to the largest one in a couple swipes. The thumb shifter was a nano-second away. The pressure needed to operate the machinery felt luxurious and direct, not something that made me feel as if I were launching a paper airplane in the general direction of surly subordinates. The Campy levers may have looked bare bones, but they were very comfortable in my hands.

Admittedly, I have no idea as to the smoothness of the other companies' hubs but the axle bearings of my Campy Zondas are like butter.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast