Campy Asks, "Why Don't You Love Me No 'Mo?" - Page 5

View Poll Results: Will Campagnolo Survive?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... Campy will reign supreme in the future!

16 44.44%
  • No... Campy is already dead to me.

12 33.33%
  • What is this "Campy" you spake of?

8 22.22%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Same story here... lusted after Campy in 70's & 80's... even bought a couple of rear derailleurs just for backup...... beautiful stuff, legendary. But now, Campy is the Harley of bikes,(they're not even the Ducati!) and Shimano is the Kawasaki.... Italian machinery is so Romantic, beautifully designed, the stuff of dreams, like Ferrari and Lamborghini, but you gotta back it up with performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Thought Campy was preferable up through 9 speed. 10 speed campy and Shimano were about the same. With 11 speed Shimano is superior. Just my opinion

I started riding when sun tour was king, and all shifting was friction. When down tube shifters became indexed, I was sold. Even though I could make a shift smoother with friction, the convenience was worth the trade off.

Last year I put indexed Shimano down tube shifters on my 86 bianchi. I wanted to give it a look similar to the way it looked in 86. With short cable runs, almost no housing, and very little bends, you couldn’t ask for a faster and smoother shifting system

Sol
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    I just got recently into road cycling. Went to San Marino for a 1 day trip and since I was there I decided to check the local used sites, to see if I could find a good deal, and I did. A white Bianchi with 10s Chorus/Record groupset.

Funny thing, it was owned by a local club, and the only thing that was not Italian were the tires (they probably put a pair of cheap ones on just to sell it).

What I really miss with newer groupsets is that they just look like ****. I am sorry, but compare todays parts with the older ones. One looks like plastic, the other is a piece of jewelry you put on a bike.

So they need to start working on how to look apart. And since they are all about heritage etc, it might be a useful thing to produce a batch of parts now and then for older groupsets, to keep the heritage alive.

Quite a lot of people start road cycling with used bikes. Take good care of those and they wont look at other manufacturers when they decide to upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
    but you gotta back it up with performance.
    Campy drivetrain not performing well? Where did you hear / read that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Some modern Campy love now that we've beat-them-up pretty good...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Took the X4 out yesterday. C-Record and Syncro-II 7sp. Click, click, click. What a dream.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    check out the front shift at about 20 seconds

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I’m not sure there is a dumber idea possible for a shifting mechanism. Maybe just try to manually pull the chain up to the big ring while riding? Or maybe it helps braking efficiency? Jamming fingers into the wheel or onto the tire? LOL.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    I started riding when sun tour was king, and all shifting was friction. When down tube shifters became indexed, I was sold. Even though I could make a shift smoother with friction, the convenience was worth the trade off.

Last year I put indexed Shimano down tube shifters on my 86 bianchi. I wanted to give it a look similar to the way it looked in 86. With short cable runs, almost no housing, and very little bends, you couldn’t ask for a faster and smoother shifting system
    If you had added about half a dozen emojis I would have accused you and Fredrico being the same personae.

DT shifters are such a beautfiul, simplistic, minimalist design. But taking your hand off of the BRake to user the shIFTER function seems dangerous. Someone should design a mechanism that integrates both functions and name it appropriately. But what would we call it?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    If you had added about half a dozen emojis I would have accused you and Fredrico being the same personae.

DT shifters are such a beautfiul, simplistic, minimalist design. But taking your hand off of the BRake to user the shIFTER function seems dangerous. Someone should design a mechanism that integrates both functions and name it appropriately. But what would we call it?
    Drifter? Sister? Mister Twister?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Shake. I mean you use your hands for gods sake, what else could it possibly be called?
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. I’m not sure there is a dumber idea possible for a shifting mechanism. Maybe just try to manually pull the chain up to the big ring while riding? Or maybe it helps braking efficiency? Jamming fingers into the wheel or onto the tire? LOL.
    VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo Cambio Corsa

Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post

More dangerous than grabbing and replacing a water bottle?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have Campagnolo drivetrains on two road bikes, I have Shimano on some other bikes, and I have SRAM Red on my cross bike. Love Campa and Shimano, but my right Red shifter has ALWAYS, ALWAYS been really stiff and takes a major shove to shift. Never sorted it out, nor has my LBS. Sometimes it is smooth and light, but most of the time it is really stiff and the cable tension is very high when I'm getting towards the biggest cogs.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345