Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beautiful as ever

43 58.90%
  • Ugly as hell

9 12.33%
  • I seriously don't care

16 21.92%
  • I ride shimano (and shouldn't have clicked on this thread)

5 6.85%
    blame me for missed rides

Campy fans, please weigh in.

2007 record brakes.

Twitterpated

But I play one on TV

I'm not an engineer, but I'm not wild about this design. Bearings aren't sealed and how is the BB/axel supposed to stay together under power with just those interlocking teeth. (disclaimer, i haven't read anything, I just shot my mouth off after looking at the pictures.)

Thanks,
    Tshirt

P.S. I love Campagnolo
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-shirt
    I'm not an engineer, but I'm not wild about this design. Bearings aren't sealed and how is the BB/axel supposed to stay together under power with just those interlocking teeth. (disclaimer, i haven't read anything, I just shot my mouth off after looking at the pictures.)

Thanks,
    Tshirt

P.S. I love Campagnolo
    well, i ain't no engineer either, but the bottom bracket cups are missing from that photo, so that is how I assume the bearings are sealed (at least in the photos i have seen of the new campy stuff), but what I don't get is how is it all held together, which i guess is the same thing you are asking too.

my legs hurt
    brakes, look horrible, but i dont like any road brakes, they all look like asymmetrical pieces of crap in my opinion, though campy's loom better than shimano with that fugly little lever on the brakes.
    he crankset stays together with single bot that goes between the two halves in the middle. better break out the loctite for that bolt, be kind of embarassing to have the crankset fall apart. They will have cups that seal the bearings.
    Those small gears look like helicopter gears and i'm beting they will be plenty strong to withstand any amount of torque you can put out...but they rely on the single bolt being well closed, I can imagien the nightmares associated with the bolt being just a little loose, or a smalle rock getting into the teeth, does not seem like the best design, but i'm just a software consultant, whet do I know about engineering bike parts?
    I THINK PERHAPS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. PEOPLE'S WHOLE LIVES DO PASS IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY DIE. THE PROCESS IS CALLED "LIVING."

C 1/5
    Brakes look ok to me, but I wouldn't buy them as replacements for my 0Gs.

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by T-shirt
    how is the BB/axel supposed to stay together under power with just those interlocking teeth.

they are held together by a screw and a nut in the middle. i think a m10 or m12.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The axle is joined with a single bolt. It is the same method used to join car crankshafts together. If it's strong enough for that I doubt any mortal will manage to pull it apart unless a muppet fitted it!

Still On Steel
    What's with all the black? Lately everything is black. Is it a sin, all of a sudden, for bike parts to be shiny?

I like shiny.
    Allez Rouge

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I like the brakes, I think they look really nice.

I hate the retreat from regular-ol' square taper cranks (I think I've made my view of this capitalizing on upgrade-itis pretty plain in the past), and like others, lament that you can't get any of this stuff in silver instead of black. If it's not carbon, why can't I get silver? And if I don't want carbon, I'm stuck in the lower ranges (and there are signs that aluminum is just going to get pushed down and down the range).

Of course, when all the dopes jump out there and get the new, incompatible cranks, there should be plenty of top-level square taper Campy stuff on the used market.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Moderatus Puisne
    I like shiny, too.

Hopefully Campy will continue to offer Record in both black and silver.

I'd have to see them on the bike, but those '07 Record brakes don't look as nice as the current ones to me, even if they look more modern.

Then again, I think the Athena-series single-pivots looked better than 10-speed Record does, so I'll trade a little looks for function if I have to.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm not an engineer, either

Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici
    The axle is joined with a single bolt. It is the same method used to join car crankshafts together. If it's strong enough for that I doubt any mortal will manage to pull it apart unless a muppet fitted it!
    But per some quick googling, that's something called a "Hirth coupling" and it's used for, among other things, holding together the shafts of jet turbine engines. It's designed to handle huge amounts of torque, with minimal load on the fixing bolt. Pressure between the teeth of the joint carry all the torque load, and the fixing bolt just keeps the teeth together.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    the look great

Twitterpated
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    ...holding together the shafts of jet turbine engines. It's designed to handle huge amounts of torque...
    I don't like to brag but about my physical strength but...

Well, I stand corrected, seems like they've actually got a pretty advanced system. Thanks for the info.

Thanks,
    Tshirt

RoadBikeReview Member

Down with shiny

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Rouge
    What's with all the black? Lately everything is black. Is it a sin, all of a sudden, for bike parts to be shiny?

I like shiny.
    I like black. Its stealth. I think they're hot, but they should take the white lettering off.

"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
    Brakes look like "zero gravitys' to me. Different, but kinda nice. Sort of blocky looking. Will I trade them even-up for my polished "Athena" single pivots? Hell no. Those Athenas "sing" on my bike.
    ~ just "Don" (not a bike scientist)

Cannot bench own weight
    They're not too bad if they come in silver.

Adrenalina Italiana

I like the new design.

It looks as though it will be pretty easy to install and even better you won't have to buy any new tools! Although,I'll probably end up buying the '06 carbon groupo to convert my last bike over to Campagnolo. I'll let it prove it self under racing conditions for a season before I bite.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

Not Banned

I agree

brake borrows from zero gravity. pretty nice looking in a modern derillium sort of way.
    1 bolt and I think 1000 lbs of torque. will hold far more than ours or Tom Bonnen's legs could ever create. The teeth distribute the load so each indv connection bears very little of the total load. simple, strong most likely very easy to service and maintain. My guess is Campy did tons of R&D before releasing it, instead of jumping on the other bandwagons. I'm sure they are showing up late to the outboard system because they found a superior design. my guess is they'll make boogers out of everything else
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I count 20 teeth, so now I can set my cranks any multiple of 18-degrees out of phase - WHOOP!

My back hurts
    mickey like black. mickey like campy. mickey like black campy.