Can anyone explain this mystery of cycling?
    Unlabeled

Can anyone explain this mystery of cycling?

I assemble a bike with a brand new drivetrain including a new SRAM PC68 chain. I cleaned the chain in citrus cleaner then detergent and water to remove the grease. After it dried, I carefull lubricated the rollers with homebrew--3:1 minerals solvent to Mobil 1. Then I wiped the chain with a rag. It was perfect. I take two rides totaling 70 miles and to my surprise a have a nasty chain ring tattoo. I then cleaned the chain with the rag pictured below. How can this happen? What is that black stuff?
    Last edited by Reynolds531; 05-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Jul 2003

Cool Is it just me...?

Quote Originally Posted by Continental
    I assemble a bike with a brand new drivetrain including a new SRAM PC68 chain. I cleaned the chain in citrus cleaner then detergent and water to remove the grease. After it dried, I carefull lubricated the rollers with homebrew--3:1 minerals solvent to Mobil 1. Then I wiped the chain with a rag. It was perfect. I take two rides totaling 70 miles and to my surprise a have a nasty chain ring tattoo. I then cleaned the chain with the rag pictured below. How can this happen? What is that black stuff?

Is it just me (or the fact that I did too many drugs in high school!), but does anyone else see the image of a cyclist (or even several cyclists) in the random stains on this rag?????

If not, call me crazy....... :>)

Aug 2001

Has to do with yin and yang.

Chains have a real high yang value being hard and metal and all that. I've got triplet grandsons who are 3 1/2. Naturally, since they're my grandsons, they have high yang values too. It doesn't take them very long to get that dirty either.

What offseason?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatSal
    Is it just me (or the fact that I did too many drugs in high school!), but does anyone else see the image of a cyclist (or even several cyclists) in the random stains on this rag?????

It's the shroud of Alpe d'Huez - the faces of the gods of cycling show themselves to only the true believers..

maybe not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

shroud

I actually thought it was somebody riding a bull. Must have seen too many of the PBR commercials while trying to watch some cycling on OLN.

Juanmoretime

Wink You're all wrong.

It's the Shroud of Turin. Ask Mel Gibson!
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

The origin of blackness

"Chain paste" is a mixture of lubricant, very finely divided metal (from the chain grinding down), and ground dust. You can get this very quickly in a dusty environment. The black is from the metal and metal oxides from the chain. You will find a similar effect from the ground aluminum from the braking surface of your rims.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lithiapark
    I actually thought it was somebody riding a bull. Must have seen too many of the PBR commercials while trying to watch some cycling on OLN.
    Yeah, it looks like someone on a horse or bull to me.

Feb 2004
    How can this happen? What is that black stuff?
    I believe most of it is dirt from the road thrown up by the front wheel.

Overequipped, underlegged

I have been staring at it for a while, and i see nothing but random stains... i think you are permanently affected...
    Any day is a good day to take care of one of your vehicles!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Dude, that's the Japanese character for long, fast downhill. nm

5char
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Using a very wet lube like you do, its a natural dirt and grime magnet.

Its a bit of a trade-off, the "wetter" the lube, or dirtier the chain. The chain and gears run better, but they will need a bit more TLC to keep them clean.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm with you man.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eddy 53:11
    Now the REAL question is do you throw that rag away or do you wash it
    seperately w/all the other rags? I find after washing several very dirty rags
    together makes a nice greasy thick black ring around my washing machine.

I think I need to start throwing more away . . . . . . ????
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

53T
    The Right Wing

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by fliprider
    Yeah, it looks like someone on a horse or bull to me.
    I saw a guy and a girl with... well I guess that can't be printed here!

RoadBikeReview Member

Sex or Dolphins...A little OT

The above discussion of whether someone sees cyclists on the towel or bull riding prompted me to post this pic. The interesting thing about it is that most adults or those with a schema for sexual behavior see a couple engaged in sexual intercourse (or about to do so). However, those without a schema for sexual behavior (e.g., young children) see only the dolphins. Can you see the dolphins?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyDoc
    The above discussion of whether someone sees cyclists on the towel or bull riding prompted me to post this pic. The interesting thing about it is that most adults or those with a schema for sexual behavior see a couple engaged in sexual intercourse (or about to do so). However, those without a schema for sexual behavior (e.g., young children) see only the dolphins. Can you see the dolphins?

sorry...can't see the dolphins. ;)
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Sep 2003
    I see a baby goat eating grass. Or maybe a bunny.

-OwMyNads
    "Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power
    And tore off up Highway 106
    Continually drunk on the wind in my mouth
    Wringing the handlebar for speed
    Wild to be wreckage forever."

Jul 2003

Yes! Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Frith
    I'm with you man.

That outline you drew of the cyclist is exactly the one I was talking about! Also, his back wheel could also be the front wheel of another bike/cyclist which extends off the left side of the towel.....

Now about the bottle with the dolphins - I'm trying very hard to see dolphins and I can't see them at all - but I clearly see the couple engaging in an intimate moment! Nice yabos.... ;>)

Feb 2004

Took me a while to see the dolphins

Look at the dark area between the man and the woman. Try starting at the man's armpits

Quote Originally Posted by PsyDoc

Jul 2003

Aha!

Quote Originally Posted by kilimanjaro
    Look at the dark area between the man and the woman. Try starting at the man's armpits

Oh, yes, NOW I see the dolphins! Pretty cool...... Will be interesting to see what my 3-year old son sees. He'll probably see Thomas the Tank Engine.

Funny that what I saw in the towel really looked like a cyclist to me. Ha! Does this mean I'm obsessed?! Doesn't matter, I already knew I was. I'm recently divorced and now rent a tiny little house - with 9 bikes sqeezed into the tiny basement..... Just can't bear to part with them! A sure sign of obsession! :>)

Apr 2000

I'm relieved to say I couldn't see dolphins...

...just the frisky humans, at least until the dolphins were pointed out, and even then it took some doing. I didn't see dolphins in the grease stains, either....

Anti-bling

I see a man on a grassy knoll

Isn't it obvious?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I see a walrus, wearing a hat, eating it's young....

--Shannon

Feb 2004
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the dolphins. maybe somebody wants to outline it for me! thanks1