Can we just admit that Aero helmets are stupid? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    What is different about those 1% than the rest? Clearly the helmet, air, and physics are the same, so what is so special about that 1% that drag is reduced for them but not the rest (and once drag is reduced, the benefits follow naturally)?

Obviously, there is no special fairy dust just for that 1% and the advantage is there for everyone. Just as the Cat 5 rider in a skin suit will be faster for the same power or save power at the same speed just like his pro colleague.

There's plenty of data showing the benefits from these various pieces of equipment. Where's your data showing no change?
    The difference is that 1% will go fast enough for long enough to see any aero benefit from a stupid helmet. So unless you are a pro train a little harder and don't waste your money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    The difference is that 1% will go fast enough for long enough to see any aero benefit from a stupid helmet.
    Are you calling Alex a liar? He's shared plenty of data showing benefits and they've stood up. What've you got?
    So unless you are a pro train a little harder and don't waste your money.
    You realize the same logic can be used to say "If you're not a pro, don't bother to train."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
    Are you calling Alex a liar? He's shared plenty of data showing benefits and they've stood up. What've you got?

You realize the same logic can be used to say "If you're not a pro, don't bother to train."
    What ever man if you think its going to make you faster buy one. I will just keep riding more miles.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The difference is that 1% will go fast enough for long enough to see any aero benefit from a stupid helmet. So unless you are a pro train a little harder and don't waste your money.
    There is no magic speed that makes an aero advantage work. If it's more aerodynamic, it's more aerodynamic. At ANY speed. And you're definitely not the person to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't buy.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    What ever man if you think its going to make you faster buy one. I will just keep riding more miles.

WHAT EVAR!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    KASK is cycling helmet used my Team SKY...what do you think about the shape?KASK Cycling Helmets | KASK Bike Helmets | Tour Cycling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I like them, the new Kask looks pretty cool as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Why are you worried about how other folks spend their money?

RoadBikeReview Member
    first off, from a cost-benefit perspective, an aero helmet is probably the most cost effective piece of equipment you can buy in terms of watts/$. 20 watts @ 50 km/hr is more than the fastest wheel.

Second off, can we just admit that 'can we admit x piece of equipment is stupid' threads are stupid. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    Why are you worried about how other folks spend their money?
    I'm really not. The whole point of this was to be a little tongue in cheek because I think specialized makes really ugly helmets. But every one freaks out when say expensive crap wont make you faster.
    Last edited by pulser955; 06-30-2013 at 07:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tears

The helmets were made for elite professionals who could benefit from it from clear-cut scientific principle, and then mass produced to meet UCI standards as well as make money off the majority. But oh, many people are out of their minds thinking it'll help and are blindly throwing money at it. What is this new and unheard of practice?

What next, they're gonna buy high end bikes? Are Ferrari and Porsche going to make track day oriented cars available to the public where they're probably not going to see an actual track? My word, 2013 is so different!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    But every one freaks out when say expensive crap wont make you faster.
    Because you're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Floppybike View Post
    KASK is cycling helmet used my Team SKY...what do you think about the shape?KASK Cycling Helmets | KASK Bike Helmets | Tour Cycling
    Kask are nice in that they don't give a dorky look like the Giro Air.

Casco makes nice aero helmets. I really dig the rear air diffuser. That's Formula1 technology right there!!
    SPEEDtime

Compared to Kask and Casco, the Giro Air is crude (aka, skateboard helment with holes plugged up). I mean aero helmets are nothing new. But what is new is that Giro is able to take a skateboard helmet and make roadies take notice about aero. I wonder if the track guys are laughing a bit about this whole "aero road" helmets thing, thing that they've been using for a while now on the track. It's like skin suit. Guys are starting to use skin suit on the road now too, look like a mermaid or a ballerina. That's where I put my foot down! But hey, it's "aero", cheat the wind, good stuff for a local LBS ride, lol.
    Last edited by aclinjury; 06-30-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Cycling Coach
    So who doesn't ride a bike with modern gearing systems? Or is that only for the pros?

Seriously, people present a false dichotomy here. Buying a nice bit of kit doesn't preclude one from also training harder.

It's just a matter of priorities. If you just need to protect your head and are not overly concerned with performance oriented outcomes, then it matters little what kit you wear.

But if you do care about performance, and are looking for ways to improve, then you consider the options. The question then become, which options are of higher priority given the individual's constraints (time, money, ability, rest of life factors etc).

Only two* ways to go faster:
    i. increase power output
    ii reduce resistance forces

And then layer on that ways to improve race craft.

So one can then sort out which improvements require:
    more time (e.g. training, learning skills, gaining experience),
    more money (e.g. aerodynamic wheels, clothing options), and
    a combination of both (e.g. testing of position, or some quality coaching).

There is nothing to say a rider couldn't or shouldn't look to do any or all of those things in concert, if what they seek is an improvement in performance. People are making value judgements based on their own perception of what's important and are presenting such things as mutually exclusive alternatives when they may well be complementary.

Rather, assess what's important to an individual and what resources (time, money etc), they have to play with, then you assess how those resources can best be utilised.

I agree that the priority ranking of various improvement options for a newbie Cat 5 will be different to the ranking for a Cat 1 looking to get a pro contract. I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. But if you are going to make a sound judgement call on what's important, at least do so on the basis of evidence, not myth.

* in timed solo events there is a third way - optimal pacing

δanned
    I actually like the look of the S-Works Evade. I tend to like the look of those oddball helmets. Hence why I own a Catlike Whisper Plus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I really like the Kask helmet. I will pick up one of those before I buy a $2000 wheelset or $3000 aero frame. This is the cheapest speed evar!!!

By the by, yall should be riding Kmart bikes because only 1% of riders will benefit from anything better. Love the RBR!!!
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Casco makes nice aero helmets. I really dig the rear air diffuser. That's Formula1 technology right there!!
    SPEEDtime
    I see some consistency in German design.

Can we just admit that Aero helmets are stupid?-speedairo_5174feac7a0ec.jpg

Can we just admit that Aero helmets are stupid?-2012-audi-r8-rear-end-1024x640.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Its like showing up at a cat5 race is a skinsuit. Its just not going to help you.
    First race I ever did (as a Cat 5) was 25.3 mph with 1,000 ft of climbing in 35 minutes. I do think a skinsuit probably would have helped ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I'm really not. The whole point of this was to be a little tongue in cheek because I think specialized makes really ugly helmets. But every one freaks out when say expensive crap wont make you faster.
    Looks are subjective, subjective preferences are not even worth discussing.
    I personally like all the new aero helmets be it the Air Attack, Evade, and Infinity.
    Spotted: Specialized Evade aero road helmet
    Spotted: Kask?s new road helmet with adjustable vents

RoadBikeReview Member
    The thing that bothers me about the Casco and the Giro Air Attack is the eye shield. We're wearing a helmet 1st for protection in the event of a crash, yet these helmets have an eye shield with a raw edge right in the cyclists face.

Even if the shield is easily removed that edge is right there in said cyclists face and eyes moving in who knows what direction in the event of a crash.

It's like helmet safety has become secondary to aero benefits.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by forge55b View Post
    aerodynamics of head = bad

aerodynamics of head with aero helmet = not as bad
    Thus, all the cool and successful pros are riding decapitated this season.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Master debator.
    Pretty sure unless it's being used for a time trial or solo breakaway an aero helmet is fairly useless. Any advantage you gain over your daily 40 mile ride is wiped away when you sit up to stretch your back or take a swig of your water bottle. I really doubt average speeds will be increasing by 2 mph across the board, but this is RBR I suppose it can happen to some members who've bought the helmet
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Pretty sure unless it's being used for a time trial or solo breakaway an aero helmet is fairly useless. Any advantage you gain over your daily 40 mile ride is wiped away when you sit up to stretch your back or take a swig of your water bottle. I really doubt average speeds will be increasing by 2 mph across the board, but this is RBR I suppose it can happen to some members who've bought the helmet
    If it wasn't so pricey I've thought of getting an Air Attack...simply because it cools quite well, and you don't need a doo-rag underneath the lid to prevent Darth-Maul sun burn.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Catlike has the market cornered with regards to ugly helmet design.

but, the Spec Evade and Prevail are definitely contenders in the aesthetically unpleasing category.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Pretty sure unless it's being used for a time trial or solo breakaway an aero helmet is fairly useless. Any advantage you gain over your daily 40 mile ride is wiped away when you sit up to stretch your back or take a swig of your water bottle.
    This logic doesn't make any sense. If drag is reduced, it's reduced alone, in the pack, or while drinking. So while drag might increase when sitting up compared to being in a better position, the aero helmet will still make that drag lower than it would have been with a standard one.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast