Can we just admit that Aero helmets are stupid? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Cycling Coach
    Movistar could have used some aero road helmet help the other day instead of the parachutes they were using.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    Oddly enough from my opinion it seems that in le tour this year the wheels aren't as deep as last year generally speaking.
    That's fine and may be true but they are not exactly Mavic Open Pros either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Well here's a non-aero looking aero helmet. Maybe this will satisfy the fashion police? I'm guessing the other helmet in that pic is the Air Attack.

Review: Louis Garneau Course Aero Helmet
    Last edited by deviousalex; 07-21-2013 at 08:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in Paris right now, Aero wheels are still plenty deep...

I think it's an overal package. Just like you won't get a sub 15lbs bike by changing only one component. The aero benefit is through use of combining features like wheels, frame and even position.

When I used to sell MDT aero "fairings" in the 90's it wouldn't matter if you used one and turned your head left or right negating the aero benefits.

Now-a-day companies like Specialized who have invested in their own wind tunnel FCOL are bringing us better products and not resting on their laurels.

Companies like Zipp consider air buffering and deflection.

I personally am excited to be able to build onto my aero "package" (S-WORKS Venge on Enve 6.7's) and feel the Evade will be a perfect fit and, like the pros, the right tools for the job means I will use my tried tested and true Giro Atmos on hillier days, or days where I'm not riding L'Venge.
    carbonLORD.com

Branodn
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    O god can we not have this argument? The aero advantage is totally useless to 90% of the people riding bikes. I will concede that it might help a pro.
    Appearance is subjective so I get that you and some will not like the Evades appearance as you're never going to please everyone.

I do think the 2.6 metre saving on a 200 metre sprint at 1,000 watts is irrelevant to most as few can throw down this level of power.

Assuming you're capable of cycling at 40km/h (which I am and do), this helmet will save me 10 watts over my current Prevail. Some people will have inferior helmets to the Prevail so the watts saving will be higher. If I can save any watts then it means I can go faster or save energy going at the current speed, which is a huge plus to me.

As others have said these helmets are not aimed at everyone. As soon as it is available in the UK though. When they release another helmet in the future which is more performent to this one, I'll look to get that too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
    I do think the 2.6 metre saving on a 200 metre sprint at 1,000 watts is irrelevant to most as few can throw down this level of power.
    Uhh....most Cat 4 sprinters can do that. My team mate who's a cat 4 and 155lbs held 600 watts for one minute...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm betting that if Greipel and Sagan had helmets available they'd use them in sprint stages. But since their sponsors don't make them, they can't use them.
    Just ran across this thread. Good prediction! Milan-San Remo 2014: Andre Greipel (Lotto Belisol) Had Cramps In The Finale And..., Photos | Cyclingnews.com

RoadBikeReview Member

Can we just admit that Aero helmets are stupid?

My teammate is a cat 4 and can hit 1400. 1000 is no big deal
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

waterproof*
    I'll just leave this here:

That's me, #302, winning a criterium earlier this year... wearing my Giro Air Attack (with the shield on). I can tell you unequivocally that the helmet makes me noticeably faster, at the speeds where the race is decided - such as the sprint in a criterium, or guttered in a crosswind in a road race.

I compare the effect to being roughly equivalent to the difference between a nice set of aero wheels versus regular 32 spoke box rims.

Whether it's "worth it" or not for you, is of course entirely up to you to decide.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post

That's me, #302, winning a criterium earlier this year... wearing my Giro Air Attack (with the shield on). I can tell you unequivocally that the helmet makes me noticeably faster, at the speeds where the race is decided - such as the sprint in a criterium, or guttered in a crosswind in a road race.

I compare the effect to being roughly equivalent to the difference between a nice set of aero wheels versus regular 32 spoke box rims.

Whether it's "worth it" or not for you, is of course entirely up to you to decide.
    Congratulations on the win. Why aren't you waving?
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

It seems that any one thing does not make you faster by a decent amount. It's when you start stacking them together that things can matter. If you had the wheels, the helmet, the bars, the frame all adding up to 4%, would it be worth it?

Only you can answer.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I can tell you unequivocally that the helmet makes me noticeably faster, at the speeds where the race is decided
    The problem with perception is that it isn't very scientific. You have to go by what the wind tunnel testing shows which is anywhere from a few watts up to about 10 watts of savings at 30mph.

δanned

And you were straight-armed in the drops, too.

P.S. You were #302.
    Last edited by SauronHimself; 04-03-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Hey, spambot...thanks for resurrecting a dead thread from 6 years ago! Oh, and for adding a hyperlink to the site you're shilling for....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Neophyte
    At least it's Thursday.

Curiosity overwhelming... must... press... link... not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    All the little things do add up, just saying!

RoadBikeReview Member
    It depends on how fast you ride.

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    If a helmet fits well and ventilates well, there's no sense it not be aero.
    Point well taken. I love my Giro Synthe. It is light, comfortable, quiet, will theoretically protect my mellon in a crash, and has great little ports for my glasses. It also happens to be aero...
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Most of us already look completely ridiculous in our riding clothes. This helmet is no worse.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567