Can we talk about cleat position as it relates to saddle position? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The best fit I have had started with my cleats. It was kind of funny. The fitter said...

"Stand there. No wait, come here. Hold on. Don't move." Then he drew an outline of my feet as I stood there. He said "That's where your feet are comfortable." This told him how to align the cleats - duck/pigeon, etc.

Then, we talked about hard rides, long rides, races, e.g. how important is sprinting, what muscles fail first, etc. This told him more about cleat placement - fore vs. aft.

Then, he got out the level and tape measure; and measured inseam inseam, femur length, shoulders...

It felt more like I was being fitted for a custom suit and shoes - than a bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
    Have you thought about trying speedplay pedals? They cured my knee issues instantly with their free float. No more faffing about cleat angle, your foot will find its natural angle.

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk
    I agree. I had knee pain too with those cleats that lock you down. The speedplay, along with shims/wedges and a spacer for one leg, and the float relieved my knee pain. I don't think I will use any other cleat because these are so comfortable for me.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
    '12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
    Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I agree. I had knee pain too with those cleats that lock you down. The speedplay, along with shims/wedges and a spacer for one leg, and the float relieved my knee pain. I don't think I will use any other cleat because these are so comfortable for me.
    Speedplay Zero for road, Shimano XT or XTR SPD for mountain, gravel and cross = happy knees.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Speedplay Zero for road, Shimano XT or XTR SPD for mountain, gravel and cross = happy knees.
    Yes, I have the Shimano XT on my mountain bike...my knees loves the float.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
    '12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
    Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any time you change positions from a familiar set-up to something different, you need to give your body a bit of time to adjust. How much adjustment you can tolerate and how many miles to adjust depends on your individual requirements/needs/training level.

Example 1: I ride several 58 cm bikes, 3 at 61/62cm and several at 59/60cm. The touch points are not too far off, but across 15 roadies ridden regularly with different saddles/bar widths/etc. = there are variances. Yet any of the bikes are suitable for a metric century distance.

Example 2: A Tour de France rider on Stage 20, switching from a TT aero position bike to a climbing bike, took a couple of kms before he "adjusted" to the bike. And he had trained and trained for the switch.

edit: Just read someone's 'best fitter' story. I've got 2. And I still own the bikes.
    1. One custom builder measured the bike I rode in on, then he quickly set up one of his standard geometry bikes similarly, but not exactly. At about noon, he gave me 2 full water bottles and said "We close at 5, if you are back by 4:00 there will be time to get your impressions". I was back early. We talked. i ended up buying a semi-custom = minor mod on HTA.
    2. A different custom builder [with whom I specified a fast distance bike (now called endurance)] rode with me around a one mile route with a small climb. We talked. He put me on my bike on a trainer. I rode 20min before he came back and asked me to sprint, rest, sprint, rest. Then he specified his geometry recommendations and tubing options, given my lugged requirement. I ended up buying.

There's more than one way to fit a bike. But for newbs or short time riders or medical issues or specific fit probs = a good interactive pro-fit may be immeasurably helpful.
    Last edited by SantaCruz; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:42 PM.
    Lots of bikes - vintage steel w/ friction thru modern Ti and CF w/ brifters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12