Can you return a cracked helmet?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Can you return a cracked helmet?

I was in a crash over the weekend and cracked my helment. It is a Giro Eclipse-I think a 2001 or 02 model. I have heard some manufacturers will replace helmets involved in crashes. Does anyone know if Giro replaces helmets and if so, how I would go about finding out how to do it?

I looked at their web site but didn't see anything other than stories of folks who have crashed and where their helmets really helped them out.

By the way, my helmet did it job. I went over the handlebars and hit my head first. That blow was a pretty soft hit. It was when my shoulders and back hit that have caused the real damage!!

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

RoadBikeReview Member

My experience has been.....

Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Does anyone know if Giro replaces helmets and if so, how I would go about finding out how to do it?
    Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
    ....to write a detailed letter describing how the accident occurred and take letter & helmet to a Giro dealer. They will give you $20 credit towards another Giro helmet. (years ago, I did my impersonation of a yard-dart on a county road.....I slid on my head for about 15ft, then the rest of my body came in contact with the roadway....the foam in my Giro (Helios) cracked in 3 places, but I never felt a nudge or even had a headache....I did apply my $20 towards the 'new' Boreas, now I sport the Pneumo ( & the Met).....

(Giro: 800-969-4476 this was the number, may have changed since)

Never ride without it

gav
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

Yep

Yes, you can turn in a wrecked helmet.. I returned my wrecked Pneumo to the distributer in BC (Outdoor Gear Canada) and got a new one at retail cost, which was about $125cdn.. I just called them for an RA and then went by to do the swap rather then shipping the old helmet. They were super good about it too! I think that Giro would prefer you to stay in their helmets even if that meant that wouldn't have to pay retail for a new helmet.. Hope that helps..

gav

Jul 2003

Did you keep the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I was in a crash over the weekend and cracked my helment. It is a Giro Eclipse-I think a 2001 or 02 model. I have heard some manufacturers will replace helmets involved in crashes. Does anyone know if Giro replaces helmets and if so, how I would go about finding out how to do it?
    Last year I cracked my Bell X-Ray. The manual gives instructions for their crash replacement policy (since they also own Giro, maybe it's the same).

All I had to do was write a letter stating the circumstances of the accident and send it with the damaged helmet, my original receipt, and a check for $35.00 (same replacement fee for any "fusion in-mold" helmet). I called ahead and made sure they had a color I wanted and everything went pretty smoothly (except having to make do with a cheapie helmet while I waited.

You might try calling Bell Sports at 1-800-456-2355.

-Chris

RoadBikeReview Member

YOU don't have to ship the helmet....

The LBS will deliver the letter AND the helmet to Giro.....(or their local Distributor)...
    I wouldn't bother with a $20 credit if I had to pay shipping on a helmet..

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coonass
    The LBS will deliver the letter AND the helmet to Giro.....(or their local Distributor)...
    You'll probablt still get a better deal if you can find a new one on sale or a last year's model. Forget the $20 credit. I just bought a $160 Limar F-111 for $89 from Performance. If I went to Limar and applied $20 credit from a crash that would be still be $140.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Jul 2003

Am I missing something here or what?

Quote Originally Posted by coonass
    I wouldn't bother with a $20.00 credit either. Bell charges a $35.00 FEE to get a NEW REPLACEMENT HELMET. This would amount to a $100.00 CREDIT on a $135.00 helmet. Makes paying for one way shipping seem a bit insignificant, no?

-Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Here is what I found out

First thank you to everyone for the feedback. It has been very helpful!

If you're interested here is what I found out.

I called the 800 number in the thread for Giro and it is now answered as Bell. The customer rep was very helpful. I have 2 options using their warranty replacement process. The first option is to send the helmet back with a letter and a check for 70% of a new helmet. They will send me a replacement with a total turnaround of about 4 weeks. I would list my top 3 color choices for the replacement helmet.

I actually found the helment I like but it is on back order and will not be in for another 2 weeks. The overall cost would be very similar to the option above

The second option is to contact a LBS and see if they will do the warranty replacement to avoid the shipping and paperwork. I'm going that route first as I really need the replacement for one of my major rides in about 5 weeks. I have another helmet but as many of you probably experience it just isn't the same and actually starts to irritate me after several hours......

gav
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

If the Distributer is nearby

you could probably just drive there and do the exchange if they have what you want in stock..

gav