Can you unwrap bar tape from the bar end?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

Can you unwrap bar tape from the bar end?

Purchased a bar end mirror for the road bike. Instructions suggest to un-wrap about 5 inches of tape from the bar end,

The tape is cork with adhesive. Having a difficult time even starting this process (small tears as trying to pull lower layer from layer wrapped on top of it). Anyone ever done this? I would like to do as is suggested, but the frustration factor has been high. Can always completely unwrap from the top (would perfer not to do if possible).

Suggestions appreciated.

Scott

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

wrapped wrong?

Unwrapping tape with adhesive always is a hassle, but it sounds to me like it was wrapped the wrong way. Usually people start on the tops (near the stem), wrap toward the bar ends and tuck the remaining tape into the bars, holding the whole mess together with the plugs. This would leave that end of the tape on top and easy to unwrap. Well, except for the adhesive. You might be able to get away with unwrapping a small amount, tears be damned, then sticking it back on. Otherwise, it might be time to get new tape. I'd suggest (surprise) the kind without adhesive. Good luck.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayday
    Usually people start on the tops (near the stem), wrap toward the bar ends and tuck the remaining tape into the bars, holding the whole mess together with the plugs..
    "except for those of us who don't"

I'd say treat yourself to some new bar-tape

Get me to In&Out
    Usually people start on the tops (near the stem), wrap toward the bar ends and tuck the remaining tape into the bars, holding the whole mess together with the plugs.
    Most people start at the bottom and wrap up. Doing it the other way causes the edges of the tape to roll while riding. As for the origional question, I don't think your tape will be spared. Usually the adhesive will cause the tape to tear while unwrapping it. And forget about unwrapping it with it tucked in. If you were to get it out enough, you could never re-wrap it and tuck it under at the same time.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

'brifter' is a lame word.

that's one of the signs

Unwrapping tape with adhesive always is a hassle, but it sounds to me like it was wrapped the wrong way. Usually people start on the tops (near the stem), wrap toward the bar ends and tuck the remaining tape into the bars, holding the whole mess together with the plugs. This would leave that end of the tape on top and easy to unwrap. Well, except for the adhesive. You might be able to get away with unwrapping a small amount, tears be damned, then sticking it back on. Otherwise, it might be time to get new tape. I'd suggest (surprise) the kind without adhesive. Good luck.
    of someone who doesn't know how to wrap bars. you start at the bottom, that way your hands don't cause the tape to roll down. jeez...so much good advice here...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2001
    I'd try using a razor blade to cut the tape off flush with the bar end. Use some vinyl electrical tape if you find that you're going to need something to keep the tape from unwinding.

Government Mule
    I have one of those mirrors and they are not real easy to get adjusted for all riding positions. I still have mine secured with black vinyl electric tape and will be very careful when I commit to put it under the bar tape, which when wrapped correctly starts at the bar end.
    I'll give you my Vincent to ride...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Mirrors..

As already mentioned, bar tape is applied from the bar end first, if you start from the top of the bar it will peel back the tape as you ride and it will wear out quickly...

As for mirrors, you should try a Bike Peddler Take-A-Look. They attach to your riding glasses or helmet, I don't know how a bar end mirror would work unless you are in a fixed position all the time. The Take-A-Look requires a little twist of the head, sort of like looking out the sideview mirror of your car. They do allow for a little adjustment period and they are subject to slight vibration, but after awhile they become second nature. Mine is about four years old, I use it everyday and I've dropped it by mistake a few times..good product..Colorado Cyclist and Rei carries them, around $15.00..

Bike Dude
    Sep 2003

Say NO to mirrors.

Kabs, you need to ditch the mirror and learn to ride and turn your head at the same time. Using mirrors can make you too dependannt on the damn things. Learn to turn your head and see whats creeping up behind you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Try heating the tape with a hair dryer and see if the adhesive will loosen up enough to get the tape off without destroying it. It's obviously easier if wrapped from stem to the end although I always start at the end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

I have one of these and it works great.... sort of..

as another post mentioned, it's difficult to get it in the correct position.... so, having been through this many times, my suggestion is to mount it on the outside of your bar tape, using electrical tape to secure it in place... then the next time you go to replace your bar tape, put it underneath... and be very careful to have it in the right spot before wrapping your bar or it will drive you crazy

I'm not like anyone else

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Thommy
    Kabs, you need to ditch the mirror and learn to ride and turn your head at the same time. Using mirrors can make you too dependannt on the damn things. Learn to turn your head and see whats creeping up behind you.
    Why turn your head to see what's behind you when a quick glance into the mirror does the same thing and you keep you eyes focused in the direction you are going...? especially if the mirror is one of those dumb things that's attached to your helmet or glasses. Guess it's not cool to prefer the American Express mentality... "Never leave home without it!" and I wasted the $20.

RoadBikeReview Member

Great Mirror

Check out the following:
    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=3&minor=4

This is a mirror that goes in the end of the bar. Trim tape and insert. Works great. Forget the turning of the head, and the related off line path that often happens. Will you take some grief from the fashion police, yep. But you'll ride with more confidence knowing what's REALLY behind you.

'brifter' is a lame word.

in my opinion...

(and i've got lots of them, ask anyone), if you "need" a mirror because you "can't" look back w/o crashing into somebody else or riding off the road, you shouldn't be riding on the road in the first place. damn, learn some basic skills...then if you "prefer" to ride w/ a mirror attached to your helmet or bars, go ahead do it, but don't be totally dependent on it.

RoadBikeReview Member

Addition to Great Mirror

I guess I should have added, I'm not out there racing. I'm riding on the roads for my health and well-being. I put in about 120 miles a week in either Ohio or Arizona depending on where I am. I find that I want to know where traffic is and I'm not talking about two-wheel traffic. I can turn my head just fine to look but when cars and trucks are buzzing by at 50+, I really like to be able to keep my eyes on what's in front of me, or cast a glance at the mirror every so often to be sure what's comin'. Might not get me in the Cycling GQ Hall of Fame, but it might keep me upright and spinning.