RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Canyon wheelset change

I was internet lusting earlier and noticed new wheelsets on Canyon Ultimates. Last year the same bike had Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon wheels in a 45mm depth. This year, the same bike has DTSwiss P1800 (I think aluminum) at a 23mm depth for the same price.

Is that just where the Canyon business model has gone or are those wheelsets more equivalent than I think?
    Last edited by lightning33; 6 Days Ago at 01:13 PM. Reason: added spec about aluminum

δanned
    The Mavics retail for $1299, whereas the DT Swiss P1800s retail for $512. It should be noted the DT Swiss wheels are about 60g lighter, but that's not even noticeably. This clearly looks like an economically motivated decision, especially since the new tariffs have caused bike prices to rise 5%. Canyon probably wanted to keep MSRP the same and maybe sneak in some more margin.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    That's a big difference in wheelsets. That is unfortunate. Such is life.

Thanks.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
    That's a big difference in wheelsets. That is unfortunate. Such is life.

Thanks.
    I'd take a DT wheelset over a Mavic any day of the week.

Just because the Mavics are more expensive doesn't make them more desirable.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I'd take a DT wheelset over a Mavic any day of the week.

Just because the Mavics are more expensive doesn't make them more desirable.
    ^^^This.^^^
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Well, I guess I don't understand wheelsets. Honest question: how is a cheaper and shallower "better"? The Mavic is deeper/more aero (right?) and carbon (which is more desirable, right?). Just asking.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Well, I guess I don't understand wheelsets. Honest question: how is a cheaper and shallower "better"? The Mavic is deeper/more aero (right?) and carbon (which is more desirable, right?). Just asking.
    The Cosmic Pros are not carbon, they're "carbon"....they're an alloy rim with a carbon fairing. They're 17mm internal which is quite narrow as rims go by any standard of the last 5+ years. Whether a deeper profile actually matters depends on what you're doing...also the conditions you're riding in, and the rim shape make make it less beneficial. Such as hard crosswinds.

And that is before we start talking about the difficulty in sourcing any Mavic repair/replacement parts, and how hard they are to get. Also...lots of people make better hubs than Mavic.

For $1200, which granted as OEM equipment you're not paying....there are lots and lots of better wheels. You can get DT Swiss 240S hubs or Onyx hubs or Whites laced to the best of alloy rims (or some carbon rims like ProWHeelbuilder's house rims, or Light Bicycle's rims from China) for that level of coin....and replacements are more easily sourced and probably will cost less.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not necessrily. Mavic quality control has deteriorated within the last decade. I have to wonder if multiple complaints have caused Canyon to change over to DT.

Define "desireable". Many alloy rims now rival the weight of carbon rims. And you may not want aero rims if you ride a lot where there are cross winds or along fast moving roads with 18 wheelers blowing past you.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    There are many different Ultimate models and many still come with Mavic cosmic.

I think you are comparing apples one year to oranges the next.