Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I love this. Some pretty good answers compared to the umpteeenth time that this has probably been posted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    It depends on the riding you do. If your rides are pretty flat, you will be better off getting lighter wheels that you can accelerate faster for sprinting. If you regularly ride up big mountains with 5-12% grades, you WILL notice a difference between a 20lb bike and a 15lb bike over 30-60 minutes of continuous climbing - it may be 0.5 or 1.0 mph, but when you are at your threshold for that long, with little drafting advantage, and trying to stay with another rider, that 0.5 mph is everything.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Here's a sure fire test to determine which bike is faster. This test is absolutely accurate and foolproof.

Take a bike with a CF frame, one with a steel frame, one with an alu. frame, and one with a Ti frame. All of the components can either be identical or those of your choosing.

Line all the bikes up in a perfectly straight line against your house or garage. Go inside and eat lunch, then watch TV for an hour. Come back outside and look at the bikes. The one that's ahead is the fastest.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    No, the carbon fiber bike is not faster.

But how come I bought a carbon bike and my top sprinting speed is up by 7 mph.
    So much so that people cannot believe my sprinting speed.
    Go figure.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mental perception and that psychology applied to the ride. That belief/confidence motivates that wee bit more to preform better on it. Fitting aside, if you believed that your $5K+ CF bike built with RED, Dura Ace or Super Record was a horrid contraption, your mental state would turn in equally dismal performance.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    Being a 300 pound lard-arse, I was never able to manage more than a 14mph average on my steel or aluminum bikes. When I got my Scott CR-1 though, I suddenly could fly up hills and increased my average speed to 27.3mph. In an emergency, the carbon fiber frame can be used as a floatation device. In a sunny location, it can be used as a weapon. Just aim a magnifying glass at it, amplifying the sun's energy, and watch the flesh wounds happen as it asplodes.
    ^ this
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Here's a sure fire test to determine which bike is faster. This test is absolutely accurate and foolproof.

Take a bike with a CF frame, one with a steel frame, one with an alu. frame, and one with a Ti frame. All of the components can either be identical or those of your choosing.

Line all the bikes up in a perfectly straight line against your house or garage. Go inside and eat lunch, then watch TV for an hour. Come back outside and look at the bikes. The one that's ahead is the fastest.
    This was my signature over at BF for a long time; or rather a shorter version of it - fully attributed to you, of course.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronis31337

Then I spoke with others (older folks) who said the only thing they found that made them faster were light wheels with sew-ups.
    I'm guessing they didn't go out and buy just a frame. So along with the new carbon bike probably came new and better wheels, tires, crankset ect. Also, maybe, along with getting a higer end bike usually comes a fairly decent fitting and who knows if they had that before. That could make a slower bike faster.
    I don't doubt these people are faster with their new carbon bikes but it's definitely not a simple case of it being because it's carbon.

Menace to Society
    May 2009
    Do i Phones also make phone calls??
    Originally Posted by chrdur

the fact remains that you are talking about a niche sport within a niche sport .

slyjackson
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    Being a 300 pound lard-arse, I was never able to manage more than a 14mph average on my steel or aluminum bikes. When I got my Scott CR-1 though, I suddenly could fly up hills and increased my average speed to 27.3mph. In an emergency, the carbon fiber frame can be used as a floatation device. In a sunny location, it can be used as a weapon. Just aim a magnifying glass at it, amplifying the sun's energy, and watch the flesh wounds happen as it asplodes.
    My Scott CR-1 makes me go faster too. my average speed increased and going up hills does not hurt as bad as it did when I was riding my fuji, But I feel that "Bike fit" and along with my rims has a lot to do with the performance enhancement .

However there must be something going on with these Scott CR-1 bikes that enhances performance, too many of us are experiencing the same output while riding them.

just my 2 cents worth...

waterproof*
    I've been eating a lot of cheese lately, swiss mostly but also some cheddar and provolone, and my belly fat is just melting away.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Skepticynisism
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I've been eating a lot of cheese lately, swiss mostly but also some cheddar and provolone, and my belly fat is just melting away.
    I love swiss cheese!

Skepticynisism
    Come to think of it...I never met a cheese I didn't like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Completely not scientific, but I transitioned to a carbon bike (Motobecane Immortal Pro) a few months ago and the first time I rode it was like slipping on a banana peel, like in FLYING MY TAIL OFF ASPLODING down the road. Suddenly I was not only keeping up with the aero line, but now I was having a hard time NOT leaving them when I was breaking the wind.

Not sure if its the bike or just how it makes me feel (Bright yellow vs. rather faded metallic blue), or the upgraded components (Ultegra vs. old school Deore), but in the end, isn't every new bike purchase as much about emotion as it is performance?

Resident Dutchbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    This will make you belly fat melt away even faster.

http://www.boerengoudseoplegkaas.nl/uk/
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rogger
    This will make you belly fat melt away even faster.

http://www.boerengoudseoplegkaas.nl/uk/
    probably more effectively than stroopwafel
    Blows your hair back.

Menace to Society
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WaynefromOrlando
    when I was breaking the wind.
    Breaking wind in the peloton is bad etiquette
    Originally Posted by chrdur

the fact remains that you are talking about a niche sport within a niche sport .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard
    Lighter is faster - in general. It's physics. Even if the difference is miniscule. If you accept the premise that carbon is lighter...then yes, carbon bikes are faster.

Well, not really. It's the flex I was concerned about. Is the stiffer frame really add up to a faster performance -- even for non racers like myself?

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard
    Come to think of it...I never met a cheese I didn't like.
    Have you ever seen that yellow plastilina that the americans call "cheddar"
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    My 2 cents on this as an avid, non-competitive cyclist with a CF bike:
    My CF bike climbs like a goat compared to my old metal one. I notice a huge difference going uphill.
    Ride is much more comfortable. The bumps on the road smooth out beautifully. I have no idea if this can be backed up by any facts, but I feel like I waste less energy stabilizing myself and absorbing bumps in the road on this bike. I feel like I can go much further before I fatigue.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by neilg1
    My 2 cents on this as an avid, non-competitive cyclist with a CF bike:
    My CF bike climbs like a goat compared to my old metal one. I notice a huge difference going uphill.
    Ride is much more comfortable. The bumps on the road smooth out beautifully. I have no idea if this can be backed up by any facts, but I feel like I waste less energy stabilizing myself and absorbing bumps in the road on this bike. I feel like I can go much further before I fatigue.
    Everyone of us who one rode a steel or alu bike and then switched to a good quality Carbon bike has had the same experience.

The anti-carbon opinions you are reading is just people justifying their different choice.

It is ia fact, a lighter and stiffer frame will be faster, all else equal ( including the lardass rider).

If they come out with a frame made with unobtanium that is lighter and stiffer than a carbon frame that would be then faster.

end of argument
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Skepticynisism
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronis31337
    Well, not really. It's the flex I was concerned about. Is the stiffer frame really add up to a faster performance -- even for non racers like myself?
    I would say it's an especially moot point for non racers like yourself - unless I'm misinterpreting your response.

But what the hell do I know? I was merely approaching the question from the standpoint of physics. I was attempting to make the point that if you normalize for all other variables, including stiffness - and I believe you can with today's carbon technology (more or less)...then yes, carbon bikes are faster. But I'll say it again; you must first accept the premise that carbon is lighter. Which, as several have pointed out, isn't necessarily the case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover

It is ia fact, a lighter and stiffer frame will be faster, all else equal ( including the lardass rider).
    That doesn't rule out steel, Al, Ti, bamboo, etc. It's all in the tube design and geometry. I happen to have a fairly stiff steel framed bike. Pretty similar in feel to my CF framed bike. As I said before, the extra 3 pounds on the steel bike aren't noticed.

Depends on what you came from and moved to. It's more than the frame. Wheels and tires can make a significant difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is why a multitude of bikes are purchased. That search for the just right ride to performance. You'll get close whether you are 100% happy and bike lust leaves your mind is up to you.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast