Carbon post damage?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020

Carbon post damage?

Hey guys,

I managed to trade in my previous bike for tcr advanced sl 1 disc 2020. Extremely happy how it rides! They cut the seat post to my dimensions. Im just putting it together when i noticed slight damage on the post where they cut it. Is this a concern? Just as expected during cutting process? Please see pictures attached. Paint has been chipped and a bit of carbon. Please see the pictures here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?

RoadBikeReview Member
    OMG. The frame is rendered completely useless. I would take it back and demand a full refund.

-JK

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Do not fall into the lazy new guy habit of posting everything in GD. Post in the correct section, in this case:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/

And your frame is fine.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Do not fall into the lazy new guy habit of posting everything in GD. Post in the correct section, in this case:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/

And your frame is fine.
    Thanks heaps! Is this how it normally turns out? And do you think the damage will progress?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR A1 Disc View Post
    Thanks heaps! Is this how it normally turns out? And do you think the damage will progress?
    No. It was poorly done... It's called a Lombard, and is trending rather popular among members here. I would think a seal coat might be prudent for peace of mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    No. It was poorly done... It's called a Lombard, and is trending rather popular among members here. I would think a seal coat might be prudent for peace of mind.
    Structurally not an issue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's debatable. It carries vertical load and it's a sensitive area. keep an eye on it as you make future height adjustments with spacers. A small dab of nail polish or compatible resin may suffice.

I have a TCR w/ISP too. My cut is neat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And your frame is fine.
    Except for the “dork discs.” You know that was coming. Lolz.

Stop w/ the ****. Nail polish? You must be kidding. Stop trying to give advice.

No. Not an issue. Pay no attention to our new favorite troll. He thinks he knows everything but in reality he's pretty clueless. That part of the seat mast has the cap that holds the saddle over it, it doesn't need nail polish or anything else.
    #promechaniclife

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Carbon fiber is a lot tougher than people think. I remember when I bought my first carbon bike in 1992. All the steel is real crowd laughed at it. Just to egg them on, I'd tell them I could only ride it during certain times of the year because it would shatter in the cold, and melt if it got too hot. It was amazing how many people believed this.

Think of it this way -- if that was an aluminum seat post and the guy cutting it left a burr, would you worry about it?

And congrats for getting b!tch slapped by the local section posting cop in only your 5-th post.

Banned Sock Puppet
    That's debatable. It carries vertical load and it's a sensitive area. keep an eye on it as you make future height adjustments with spacers. A small dab of nail polish or compatible resin may suffice.
    What color nail polish should he use? The same color you use on your toes? Do tell, Rudge. Don't be ashamed!

As usual, you're advice is useless.

Post is fine: 3
    Rudge nail polish remedy: 0
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What color nail polish should he use? The same color you use on your toes? Do tell, Rudge. Don't be ashamed!

As usual, you're advice is useless.

Post is fine: 3
    Rudge nail polish remedy:
    Perhaps you Sir Lombard... should decide what color to paint my toe nails.
    I shall yield to your fancy.
    And I shall tickle your desire With Your Color... Without Shame.
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:39 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Carbon fiber is a lot tougher than people think. I remember when I bought my first carbon bike in 1992. All the steel is real crowd laughed at it. Just to egg them on, I'd tell them I could only ride it during certain times of the year because it would shatter in the cold, and melt if it got too hot. It was amazing how many people believed this.

Think of it this way -- if that was an aluminum seat post and the guy cutting it left a burr, would you worry about it?

And congrats for getting b!tch slapped by the local section posting cop in only your 5-th post.
    I guess it probably wouldn't worry me in case of alu. Maybe it's just because carbon looks to me so much more fragile than alu. Not correct?

Banned Sock Puppet
    I guess it probably wouldn't worry me in case of alu. Maybe it's just because carbon looks to me so much more fragile than alu. Not correct?
    If there were a crack at or in between the saddle clamp and where the frame clamps to the post, I would be concerned. Otherwise no.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Its a bunch of sheets of fabric glued together. Its not like its going to get unraveled if the clear coat gets rubbed off. The clear coat/paint is for looks. Will it react differently than aluminum if you whack it with a hammer? Yes, but in different ways. There's a big industry in repairing damaged carbon frames. With aluminum, not so much. I guess my point was, treat it like you would any other bike. If it really did melt in the heat and shatter in the cold, carbon fiber bikes would have come and gone by now.

It's vastly different than any metal. It's very strong and resistant to the stresses created by riding. It's not as strong or resistant to point impacts...don't lean your frame up against a pole. Use the rear wheel if you have to lean it against something. Don't clamp the frame in a work stand. Maybe do some reading about carbon frames.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is, as a carbon composite's strength is very directional, unlike metal, where it's much more uniform throughout the material. Directional means that it is extremely strong when pulled(in tension), but not so when pushed(in compression). Again, not the case with metal.

It is up to the composite frame designer to convert any compressive forces into tensile, which is often accomplished by altering the orientation of the fiber fabric, hence the various weave patterns typical in these frames. It is one of the few materials where its strength can be tailored as needed, which can dramatically reduce weight. These are some of the reasons why it has become the material of choice for bike frames.

But as cxwrench has pointed out, this approach can also leave the frame vulnerable to forces that it is not designed to see. But in your case, a less-than-perfect ISP cut is likely already accounted for by any worthy designer, so it should not be an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    It's vastly different than any metal. It's very strong and resistant to the stresses created by riding. It's not as strong or resistant to point impacts...don't lean your frame up against a pole. Use the rear wheel if you have to lean it against something. Don't clamp the frame in a work stand. Maybe do some reading about carbon frames.
    Thanks for your comments. I'm still confuse as you whether to polish or not, and whether to use a nail polish, or super glue? I would rather not do anything as I'm worried I'll make it look worse.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thanks for your comments. I'm still confuse as you whether to polish or not, and whether to use a nail polish, or super glue? I would rather not do anything as I'm worried I'll make it look worse.
    Trust CXWrench when he says you don't need to use nail polish or anything else on that post. CXWrench is an bike mechanic with decades of experience. His advice is excellent. Rudge on the other hand is a troll who gives bad and misleading advice in many posts.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Trust CXWrench when he says you don't need to use nail polish or anything else on that post. CXWrench is an bike mechanic with decades of experience. His advice is excellent. Rudge on the other hand is a troll who gives bad and misleading advice in many posts.
    I'll second this. There's nothing you need to do. I used to use Testors model paint to touch up my Kestrel 200 Sci back in the 90's, but that was purely for looks. Hell, I roughed up the seatpost in my Colnago C-40 with some sand paper to stop it from sliding years ago. After 20 years, it has yet to explode.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I'll second this. There's nothing you need to do. I used to use Testors model paint to touch up my Kestrel 200 Sci back in the 90's, but that was purely for looks. Hell, I roughed up the seatpost in my Colnago C-40 with some sand paper to stop it from sliding years ago. After 20 years, it has yet to explode.
    Thanks for your thoughts mate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dont want to worry the OP. The Botch cut could have been easily avoided with more care. Its done.

I can't really see in the photos the full extent of the tear off that took that chip out of the paint . But its not pretty.

So to the posters in reply , If that was your carbon steer tube, dull cut, torn, and nicked like that? What would you say?

On the Giant TCR ISP the seat tube layup is much thiner than a carbon steerer tube.
    OP : "Paint has been chipped and a bit of carbon."

"...and a bit of carbon ."
    huh? a bit of what?

Lets not make excuses, care should have been taken. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhgoX9oszJc

And Fire in the Hole- PT 6:40:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUr3SCMYLM

A clean carbon cut is critical on this seat tube as a neat cut (without a tear) on a steer tube.

Wise up CXW! I Hope You don't do carbon cuts like that!
    Last edited by rudge66; 1 Week Ago at 08:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2020
    I dont want to worry the OP. The Botch cut could have been easily avoided with more care. Its done.

I can't really see in the photos the full extent of the tear off that took that chip out of the paint . But its not pretty.

So to the posters in reply , If that was your carbon steer tube, dull cut, torn, and nicked like that? What would you say?

On the Giant TCR ISP the seat tube layup is much thiner than a carbon steerer tube.
    OP : "Paint has been chipped and a bit of carbon."

"...and a bit of carbon ."
    huh? a bit of what?

Lets not make excuses, care should have been taken. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhgoX9oszJc

And Fire in the Hole- PT 6:40:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUr3SCMYLM

A clean carbon cut is critical on this seat tube as a neat cut (without a tear) on a steer tube.

Thanks for your thoughts mate. I just took off the seat clamp and inspected the cut section again. It doesn't seem to be getting worse. There is def some minor carbon chipped however i trust our experienced members @cxwrench and @pmf that this is ok.
    In saying thisi did notice different layers of carbon on the cut section where the damage is and it seems like the inner one is detached a bit, like i can move it with the finger nail. I do think that this is most likely normal as i can see these imperfections along the inside of the tube.

I thinh some carbon has been chipped as i can feel the gap with finger nail.

Please don't attempt to lecture me.

I've forgotten more than you'll ever know about anything bicycle related.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Please don't attempt to lecture me.

I've forgotten more than you'll ever know about anything bicycle related.
    Repped!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast