Carbon seat post and velcro straps
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019

Carbon seat post and velcro straps

I have on my bike glossy carbon seat post and my saddle bag have vecro straps around that seat post.
    Can that velcro make damage on carbon or on that glossy finish?
    If yes, can you recomend some narrow saddle bag (it will be nice if I can buy it from Wiggle or Chain Reaction because I need to order few things from them).
    Right now I'm using on one bike Topeak Aero Wedge (Clip On) Small Saddle Bag and is great because is narrow (only 80 mm) but it have velcro.
    Can someone recomend saddle bag without velcro but not wider than 80 mm and if I can buy it from some of that online stores?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Yes, it can damage the finish. Get some frame protection (helicopter) tape.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    A single round of plain old black electrician's tape or anything you prefer to protect the seat post finish.

Or if you don't, all the strap will do is dull the finish a bit. In my experience, it does not ruin it. I've polished them up with regular car or guitar polish, they look as good as new. It's not a big deal either way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Some seatbags have attachment systems that mount onto the saddle rails, and don't touch the seatpost. I think Jandd makes one. There are others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    Thanks people, I will try to find some solution because I'm afraid that velcro wil make marks on glossy carbon.
    Thats teporary solution (like some electrical tape) but I will try to find some max 80-90 mm wide saddle bag that goes only around rails.
    Maybe something like Cyckit Aeroclam or some Specialized with S.W.A.T because I use Specialized Power saddle....or Lezyne Road Caddy?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    If you keep the straps tight so it doesn't move/slide it probably won't mark up the post. But it's hard with some straps to get them tight enough.

I use the M - CADDY QR and really like it. No straps at all and it sits back far enough that your thighs don't rub on it.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Clear headlight repair tape is great to use anywhere on a frame where a rub may occur. Heat tubes and shifter cables, chainstays for chain slap, seatposts and seat packs, top tubes for those little bags that sit on the top tube, etc. I even put a strip on the downtube to protect from small rocks and debris. It is almost invisable and the adhesive doesn't leak out the sides like some frame protectors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Can you carry a spare inner tube in one of these?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Can you carry a spare inner tube in one of these?
    Oh, absolutely! They make different sizes too, the large size will easily fit 2. Itís very practical. And they are a great company to deal with!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Oh, absolutely! They make different sizes too, the large size will easily fit 2. Itís very practical. And they are a great company to deal with!
    I ordered the large version as I wish to see how I get along with one.

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2019
    Nice idea but problem is in light, summer jerseys and I'm not sure is that ok for their back pockets (Castelli, Santini and Bicycle Line was breaking with only smartphone, gels and documents and I'm talking that from experience and I'm using that jerseys, specially Santini because I can't fail with sizing).
    Problem is only with their light summer models like Santini Tono and Airform or Castelli Climbers jersey.
    Solutions like bottles with tools are ok for short rides but I need that second bottle cage on long rides.
    Maybe I will try with that protective tape...or something like Lezyne road caddy...
    Aluminum is better for that things!

Did someone try this ESI Grips silicone tape:

https://www.bike24.com/p2150107.html

Maybe to put that under velcro?

Specialized SWAT is ok but I hear that bolts for their bags are too long and they can damage saddle.
    Solution is maybe to cut that bolts or put something between bolts and saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    LL
    Quote Originally Posted by Code001 View Post
    Nice idea but problem is in light, summer jerseys and I'm not sure is that ok for their back pockets (Castelli, Santini and Bicycle Line was breaking with only smartphone, gels and documents and I'm talking that from experience and I'm using that jerseys, specially Santini because I can't fail with sizing).
    Problem is only with their light summer models like Santini Tono and Airform or Castelli Climbers jersey.
    Well, I donít tend to keep sinkers in it... In Assos I donít even know itís there. In Santini you can tell you have things in your back pocket but it isnít annoying at all. Iíd say thatís typical of most of my jerseys. I use Sticky Pod year round. Now, not wanting to crash land on it? Thatís a real concern.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    LL

Well, I donít tend to keep sinkers in it... In Assos I donít even know itís there. In Santini you can tell you have things in your back pocket but it isnít annoying at all. Iíd say thatís typical of most of my jerseys. I use Sticky Pod year round. Now, not wanting to crash land on it? Thatís a real concern.
    What do you typically pack in your sticky pod and what size do you have?