Carbon wheels or ultegra Di2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020

Carbon wheels or ultegra Di2

Hi all,
    I have the option to have a custom bike built if I want one right now and I donít go with the online option thatís available (Canyon).
    For the price Iím willing to pay, my lbs said I can go with either carbon wheels with regular mechanical Ultegra components or aluminum (I think axis sport disc) wheels with Ultegra Di2.
    I like the idea of carbon wheels for looks, speed and better power transfer. But I also like the idea of getting those really crisp shifts (and very little required maintenance) from the Ultegra Di2. Not sure what the benefits to each are outside of that, though.
    Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    IMO, I would go Di2. I would think changing rims to carbon later on would be easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    personally I'd go with carbon wheels, because wheels will actually give better performance. Di2 not so much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Hmm. Both make a lot of sense. Thanks.

I love to climb!
    That's a tough call. If you aren't a ham-fisted shifter, the carbon hoops would be a more immediate benefit. But if you have a tendency to shift under power, or at the wrong time, or have a lot of trouble keeping your gears in adjustment, or want to be able to just hold a button in to shift through a bunch of gears, the Di2 would be better.

Personally, if opt for the Di2, then save up for carbon wheels down the road.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    I think Iím gonna go the di2 route. Sounds like thereís way more benefits to di2 shifting then having carbon rims. The low maintenance and ease of shifting under power is enough for me. The carbon rims can wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Di2 for sure. As others have said, it's much easier and cheaper to upgrade wheels down the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
    Di2 for sure. As others have said, it's much easier and cheaper to upgrade wheels down the road.
    Plus, when you upgrade the wheels down the road, you will have a backup set of wheels. But if you upgrade your groupset down the road, you will just have a box of useless parts.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Plus, when you upgrade the wheels down the road, you will have a backup set of wheels. But if you upgrade your groupset down the road, you will just have a box of useless parts.
    Great point!!
    The extra set can be set up for wide tires when I ride on the smooth park trails with my son. Didnít think of that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I would go the Di2 route and save the wheels for a later date.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    For starters "Carbon Wheels" doesn't tell us anything. Carbon wheels could totally suck and be totally in inappropriate for your goals and riding conditions or they could be great.

Brand? Depth? Tubeless, tubular or clinchers? Braking in wet and stability in xwinds (if you care)?

But regardless I'd go for the groupset I wanted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't think you are using 'custom' with how most people around these parts are interpreting it. Buying an alum frame bike with a shop build is not really 'custom'.

.. my recommendation is to go alum frame/disk brakes/di2. DONE!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP may have already made the decision and it sounds like it's Di2 first. It's what I did. Went Di2 and alloy wheels. A year later bought carbon wheels. Kept the alloy for backup and have used them recently when having the carbon wheels serviced.

Wouldn't buy a bike without Di2, but, while I prefer the carbon wheels, having/using alloy isn't a big enough difference to me that I'd choose the wheels over the Di2.

As others have said it's a lot easier to replace wheels then to add Di2 at a later date.
    Last edited by Rogus; 4 Days Ago at 02:27 PM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Every serious cyclist should have a spare bike... or at least a spare set of wheels. If something is going to cause you to not be able to ride your bike, it's most likely a wheel issue.

I would choose the Di2 over carbon wheels. Especially stock carbon wheels. Stock carbon wheels are going to be the bottom tier wheels. I'd prefer to pick the type of wheels to suit me.

I've been running Di2 on all my bikes for years. Won't ever go back. While I like my carbon wheels, I could live without them.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Given the options as presented, Di2 is a no brainer for me. So many benefits over mechanical shifting.