Carrying bike in truck bed
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020

Carrying bike in truck bed

I drive an F150 pickup with a Tonneau cover, and ride a Specialized Roubaix. My workplace (when not in this COVID mode) is downtown, while my riding group meets on the other side of town. I take my bike with me to work, and then drive to the ride. I need to keep my bike under the Tonneau cover while I'm at work, or someone would steal it. For a while I just laid my bike on its side in the truck bed on a thick blanket, until I damaged my pedals. There's no bike rack on the market for use in truck beds under a Tonneau cover, so I designed one. I'm doing this on my own, not part of a corporation. Now I'm at the point of bringing it to market, IF there is a market. My question is: have you had a similar dilemna, would you be interested in a product that solved that problem, what type of bike do you ride, and what pickup truck do you drive?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBed View Post
    My question is: have you had a similar dilemna, would you be interested in a product that solved that problem
    Lot's of people drive trucks. I'm sure there's a large market for it.

But without know 'what' your product is and how it works I doubt you'll get much feedback. Will it cost $500 and take 5min to load a bike?
    Will it cost $100 and take 10 seconds to load a bike.
    People have been putting their bikes on blankets or mattress pads for many years. It's quick, easy, and cheap. What do you have to beat that?

what type of bike do you ride, and what pickup truck do you drive?
    These questions are irrelevant. If your device doesn't work for all bikes in all trucks, it's a non-starter.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thanks for your comment! You're right, I should describe it some:
    Basically, it is a rack that can easily be removed from the bike bed, and takes less than a minute to attach to your bike. As for cost, that is to be determined. The fork mounts for vertical transportation are typically $20-30, which is pretty cheap. Generally a bike rack will cost $150 to $1300.
    Without trying to get into too much detail, I'm just seeing if transporting a bike in the bed of a pickup truck under a Tonneau cover is just my problem, or a problem for others.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm just seeing if transporting a bike in the bed of a pickup truck under a Tonneau cover is just my problem, or a problem for others.
    If it's reasonably priced and easy to use, your market isn't limited to just under a Tonneau cover. It would work with an open bed or a cap. So... any pickup.

I have a few friends with trucks with bed covers. A few of them have extended cabs and stick their bikes in the back seat. One of them was just talking to me about getting a hitch rack.

I'm sure there's a market if your device is right.

Also, I know a lot of people with SUV's who put the seats down and lay their bikes. Will your device work in an SUV? That would extend your market.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Absolutely, it would work well in an SUV. Thanks for your comments!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    your market isn't limited to just under a Tonneau cover. It would work with an open bed or a cap. So... any pickup.

Right. I was going to say the same.

Also, I could guess the majority of bikes transported in pickups and either Mountain Bikes or hybrids type bikes.
    So being designed to handle different bike and brake types or not would make a big difference in how big your market is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thanks, Jay! I believe by mentioning hybrids or mountain bikes, you are mainly concerned about clearance for the handlebars?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks, Jay! I believe by mentioning hybrids or mountain bikes, you are mainly concerned about clearance for the handlebars?
    No, I wasn't thinking of handlebars. I don't know what part of the bike would be attached to your rack but about all those parts are quite different on, say, a rim brake Roubaix vs a full suspension disc brake mountain bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Gotcha. I don't think that's an issue but I will keep it in mind.

Never Give Up!
    And if using some sort of fork mount... it is compatible with though axle forks and/or quick release?

Is there a proto-type (photos) you could share with us, that could possibly open doors to more design/questions.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Hi Road&Dirt and thanks for your comment. No need for quick release or through axle connections. I am in the midst of commercializing the product now and I'm not ready to publish images or details. If this thread creates much interest then I plan to update the thread as the product progresses.

Matnlely Dregaend
    I just ride my bike to wherever I want to ride the bike. If it's too far away it means I'm not in good enough shape.

Seriously though there must be products for this already no?
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    My buddy has a 2x4 with fork mounts screwed into it. Probably cost $20 and takes two bikes, front wheels off, droppers down. Road bikes are easy, but mtb with wide bars and Fs frames and 29"wheels with 2.4 tires are an issue to fit in under his bed cover on the Tacoma.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    DrSmile, it would be nice to always just ride from home, but sometimes you like to take your bike somewhere different, to join your group, or maybe it is not practical to ride from your home. Let me know if you are aware of a product to transport a bike in the bed of a truck under a Tonneau cover. Thanks for your comment

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Hi tfinator. There is a limitation with handlebar width and overall bike size versus the size of your truck bed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hi tfinator. There is a limitation with handlebar width and overall bike size versus the size of your truck bed.
    Yes. That's what I said.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I drive, and transport my bike, in a crew cab with 5.5' bed but I use vertical fork mounts. I can see a need for a rack to hold your bike while it's under a cover, 'out of sight, out of mind' so to speak.
    Good luck.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I drive, and transport my bike, in a crew cab with 5.5' bed but I use vertical fork mounts. I can see a need for a rack to hold your bike while it's under a cover, 'out of sight, out of mind' so to speak.
    Good luck.