Cataract Surgery

Printable View

• 04-05-2019
    David Loving
    Cataract Surgery
    How long after cataract surgery is it safe to resume riding?
  • 04-05-2019
    Srode
    Quote:

Originally Posted by David Loving View Post

what does your Ophthalmologist say?
  • 04-05-2019
    Oxtox
    obviously not the same procedure, but just got back from a consult for blepharoplasty (eyelid lift).

doc says if I'm a good patient and do the right things, I'll be off the bike for ~10 days and out of the pool for 2 weeks.

guessing cataract recovery would be at least that much and likely longer...

there goes my shot at 10K miles this year...oh wells.
  • 04-06-2019
    Waspinator
    Im not an ophthalmologist, but I do believe that cataract surgery involved just a small incision to remove and replace the lens. Id imagine youd be good to return to biking within a day or two. Consider protective glasses for a few days.

Again, Im not an ophthalmologist. So you are unquestionably better off asking him/her than taking my advice.
  • 04-06-2019
    PBL450
    No idea, but I know that it is crazy, super important to follow the post surgery protocol exactly! Wishing you a short recovery!
  • 04-06-2019
    zyzbot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Im not an ophthalmologist, but I do believe that cataract surgery involved just a small incision to remove and replace the lens. Id imagine youd be good to return to biking within a day or two. Consider protective glasses for a few days.

Again, Im not an ophthalmologist. So you are unquestionably better off asking him/her than taking my advice.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple years back. Was told not to lift anything heavier than 30 pounds and no strenuous activity for two weeks afterwards.
  • 04-06-2019
    Eretz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by David Loving View Post

Misunderstood the question. I was referring to a prism effect some suffer after replacement.
  • 04-07-2019
    KenS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple years back. Was told not to lift anything heavier than 30 pounds and no strenuous activity for two weeks afterwards.

Same experience as zyzbot.
  • 04-08-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    what does your Ophthalmologist say?

Best answer. Your doc can advise you much better than us schmucks on the internet.

Get a good pair of sunglasses as your eyes will become very light sensitive for awhile.
  • 04-09-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Best answer. Your doc can advise you much better than us schmucks on the internet.

Get a good pair of sunglasses as your eyes will become very light sensitive for awhile.

ShaZam --- the correct advise.

PS --- any delay in riding will soon be forgotten once you experience your post-surgery vision.
  • 04-09-2019
    Shipley
    Quote:

Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    ShaZam --- the correct advise.

PS --- any delay in riding will soon be forgotten once you experience your post-surgery vision.

Yep all correct advice, and the same as I was given. 10 days to be sure the incisions have healed, and wear good shades on the bike. I found the prism effect worse at night for a few weeks until the brain catches up with the changes. Driving is more difficult due to the glare of other cars lights.

Its well worth it though as you end up with HD vision!