Chainrings - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainrings

BarryBiker
    Mar 2003
    Now I am 81 so I want some lower gears. Just get a 39 tooth ring for the cranks. and a 30 tooth cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBiker View Post
    Now I am 81 so I want some lower gears. Just get a 39 tooth ring for the cranks. and a 30 tooth cassette.
    Well, watching the Tour de France riders climbing those mountains seldom dropping below 80 rpm does say something about modern gearing!

Just turned 76, so coming up right behind ya. Biking has put off cardio/heart problems so far and kept the body from giving up. All the pain of old age goes away the minute I jump on the bike. Amazing how that works. Always feel better when the ride is over, never worse. Riding is the tonic that creates regeneration.

So what does it feel like, at age 81?

BarryBiker
    Mar 2003

Adjust your gears to your ability.

[QUOTE=Fredrico;5334195]Well, watching the Tour de France riders climbing those mountains seldom dropping below 80 rpm does say something about modern gearing!

Just turned 76, so coming up right behind ya. Biking has put off cardio/heart problems so far and kept the body from giving up. All the pain of old age goes away the minute I jump on the bike. Amazing how that works. Always feel better when the ride is over, never worse. Riding is the tonic that creates regeneration.

Just rode 26 mi (others did 34) as the slowest of 21 riders in the local club. Ten of us lunched at Taste of Italy. I mapped this ride more than 15 years ago and am still the "leader". I ride an old Roubaix that has a triple (53-39-30 and 11-30 9sp cassette) so I can do the hills.
    Pros on the tour have unimaginable strength so still use the same gear range your bike has: 53-39 and 12-23, maybe 25 on hills, I think.
    I may revive my 1976 steel Mercian King of Mercia by using 48-38-28 cranks and a 14-28 5sp freewheel.
    My little prostate cancer tumors required a wipe out of all testosterone and 43 days of radiation which I am starting to recover from. I keep riding and have logged over 1500 miles this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBiker View Post

Just rode 26 mi (others did 34) as the slowest of 21 riders in the local club. Ten of us lunched at Taste of Italy. I mapped this ride more than 15 years ago and am still the "leader". I ride an old Roubaix that has a triple (53-39-30 and 11-30 9sp cassette) so I can do the hills.
    Pros on the tour have unimaginable strength so still use the same gear range your bike has: 53-39 and 12-23, maybe 25 on hills, I think.
    I may revive my 1976 steel Mercian King of Mercia by using 48-38-28 cranks and a 14-28 5sp freewheel.
    My little prostate cancer tumors required a wipe out of all testosterone and 43 days of radiation which I am starting to recover from. I keep riding and have logged over 1500 miles this year.
    Good to read you're still fit enough to ride with the club. I like to think there are enough miles in the legs I could do the same, but those club rides are brutal.

I get up a spin, 85- 90 rpm, aerobic sweet spot 120-125 bpm, feeling good. Climbing brings HR up to 135, but that's about it. The legs can climb well, recovery is fast, but haven't taken a ride longer than 20 miles for several years, and frankly have little interest in ranging far and wide. In my youthful 40s, I'd go anywhere within a 30 mile radius, a few centuries a year, and several loaded bike camping tours. Now, shorter jaunts around town stimulate the organism but don't tear it down. When I get tired I'm not another hour from home.

Good luck with the prostate battle. Yep, radiation therapy and internal surgeries will definitely cause downtime for the unfit. Kudos for overcoming, like waxing that difficult hill. Most younger guys also confront prostate problems if they make it to 81. Good to know you can ride on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2018
    53/39 will have longer lifespan and higher drive train efficiency, so as long you got the power, get the largest chainring you can, if you live in a flat land, 54/44 is also a good option

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12