Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Changing from SPD to SPD-SL Cleats

7K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  looigi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. I'm a fairly new rider and just bought new SPD-SL pedals, shoes & cleats. I was previously using SPD's with MTN bike shoes on my road bike. With this set up, I was able to rest my feet on the pedals after I disengage prior to stopping because the MTN shoe had grippy rubber soles. I could even pedal if I had to while disengaged. The problem I have now is with the SPD-SL's, the bottom of my Shimano R078's are hard plastic and my feet slip off when disengaged. Has anyone ever tried to attach a thin layer of rubber with an adhesive back on the arch portion of the shoe? Or even a light grit sand paper like you can adhere to stairs to prevent slipping? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

#2 ·
I had the same problem, but as I got used to the SL ones I've learned to not push down hard on the pedals when I'm not clipped in. When I'm stopped at a light, I only disengage one foot and when I start out on my bike I clip my left foot in then push off with my right foot and then swing it over the bike.

#3 ·
Nothing you can do to the pedal or the shoe will make that safe and reliable. (I've tried it). It's better to learn not to rely on trying to pedal with a disengaged cleat. That means learning good unclipping and stopping technique, and learning to clip in quickly and reliably when you need to.

There's no good reason to be riding far with a foot unclipped (and NEVER a good reason to unclip both feet while moving -- keep one engaged until you're stopped and the other foot is on the ground). If you learn to do it right, you can reliably unclip just before you stop. And if you feel the need to unclip earlier, learn to disengage one foot and coast while standing on the other pedal. If you learn that you'll be able to handle the bike safely at low speed, and never lean the wrong way.

You developed habits with the SPD's that are not compatible with the new setup. You need to unlearn them.

#20 ·
A lot of good advice here. I too switched from SPD to SPD SL...

I often leave one foot clipped in when "actively" riding. When I come to a stop I'll just unclip with one foot. If crap hits the fan (aka getting through an intersection), I can always pedal with one leg until I get the other clipped in. I NEVER pedal unclipped as it is dangerous like JC mentioned...bad mojo there.

#4 ·
Damn those road bike shoes for not doing what they're not designed to do!

#6 ·
Switch to Look Keo pedals.

they have the Keo Grip cleat option.
Look Cycle - Kéo Grip - Cleats - Road

It's not a substitute for cleat covers though for general walking. it helps, but get the covers.

#8 ·
That's a rational choice, but not the only one. I have spd-type pedals on my rainy-day commuter, and use mtb-bike shoes, but my other bikes (including a FG for commuting in good weather) have Looks, and I wear road shoes. I like the big platform and rigid sole of the road setup, and I appreciate the other when I'm hopping on and off the bike frequently (like running errands). When riding, including stopping and starting, I have absolutely no issues with the Looks. But that's with 20+ years of experience.

#12 ·
You could try plastidip... but you'd have to scuff up the shoes with some sandpaper first (I imagine). It's good stuff and you should be aware of it, although I probably wouldn't bother attempting to modify your shoes.

Personally, I'm sticking with SPDs. I like to be able to walk around when I'm off my bike and I get no benefit from a road style pedal/shoe since I don't ride competitively.

#14 ·
I had hopes for the plastidip solution, but am not sold yet. I was looking for a way to make my hard plastic Sidi Dom 5 tread a bit more secure on potentially slick surfaces (my main focus is CX, so dismounting on anything hard in these shoes can be sketchy). I scuffed up the treads and bit and then did 2 layers of plastidip. Let them fully dry in between layers. Took them on my first real ride (road only) this past weekend and with minimal walking, I already see a few spots on each shoe where the coating gave way. They are small spots, but nonetheless spots. And once ripped, the plasticdip left some streaks on my tile floor. Easy enough to clean up, but still an inconvenience. So the jury is stil out on how applicable that product is under the stresses a cyclicst can put it under. YMMV.

#15 ·
I had hopes for the plastidip solution, but am not sold yet. I was looking for a way to make my hard plastic Sidi Dom 5 tread a bit more secure on potentially slick surfaces
Have you tried Shoe Goo? I haven't used in exactly this way, but where I have used it (e.g., the rubber heel bumpers on road shoes) I think it's been a lot more durable than what you describe here.

#22 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try Shoe Goo first. My concern is maintaining some stability when lightly resting my foot on the pedal after I unclip one foot prior to stopping. I have no issues setting my foot on the ground with SPD-SL cleats. I find the yellow tips on the Shimano cleats are satisfactory for this.

#24 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try Shoe Goo first. My concern is maintaining some stability when lightly resting my foot on the pedal after I unclip one foot prior to stopping.
I really have to agree with the others trying to guide you to not resting that part of a road shoe on the pedal...ever. If you must un-clip prematurely, as we see it, then you should be able to "ankle out" slowly while still keeping the front end of the cleat engaged in the pedal. Virtually as if in the same position you would be if you where just about to click in. IMO this would be a dramatically safer and more controlled move as you have choice. Choice to clip back in quickly if needed and choice to set down for a stop. Personally, I prefer to ankle-out as late as possible. But I'm an only grouch that still won't take a manual transmission out of gear until the last minute either. I just don't like coasting out of gear (or out of pedal).

I have no issues setting my foot on the ground with SPD-SL cleats. I find the yellow tips on the Shimano cleats are satisfactory for this.
Absolutely. They are some of he best cleats I've used with respect to "walkability". I think others were misunderstanding your original post when they mentioned keo cleats.

#23 ·
It's just something that takes time to get used to. When you're unclipping, are you twisting to the point that your foot is flyyyying off the pedal? Ease back the tension on the pedal. If approaching a light and it's red and it turns green just as I unclip, there's that awkward moment of reengaging. You should be able to unclip with your clip still practically in the same spot it was when engaged so that you just simply need to reapply pressure and move on. Or, pedal with one leg until you can get the other clipped in and going.

#26 ·
It's pretty common to occasionally pedal mtbs without being clipped in. Rubber on the sole around the cleat makes a huge diff. I have some two-hole CF soled road shoes that I tried with SPD mtb cleats. It was nearly impossible to pedal without being clipped in.

One trick I sometimes employ when starting out on a hill or in other pressing situations with only one foot clipped in is to push down with that foot, lift it up turning the crank backward 1/2 rotation, and stroke again. That's a lot quicker and allows applying more force than bringing that foot around the rear of the crank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.