Here's the full story from the local paper:
http://www.charleston.net/stories/03...2cyclist.shtml

Promising cyclist, 25, dies in accident

Wonders knocked into ditch by pickup

BY DAVID QUICK
Of The Post and Courier Staff
A promising South Carolina cyclist died after being struck during a training ride by a pickup truck on a secondary road known as "Old (U.S.) Highway 52" about six miles south of Moncks Corner.

Garrett Patrick Wonders, 25, an instructor at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command school at the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek, was regarded as the fastest cyclist in the Lowcountry and a tough competitor throughout the Southeast.

For several years, the Ohio native raced bicycles. He was moving up the professional circuit with his sights set on the U.S. Olympic team trials and 2004 U.S. Cycling Federation Elite National Road Championships in Redlands, Calif. He was a vital part of the local cycling community and helped form the Low Country VW Racing Team.

At 2:55 p.m. Wednesday, Wonders was riding alone near the outer white line of northbound State Road 791, or Old Highway 52, when he was side-swiped by a northbound 1995 Ford pickup truck driven by Theodore Borck, 50, of Moncks Corner, according to Lance Cpl. Paul Brouthers of the S.C. Highway Patrol.

Wonders, who was wearing a helmet, was thrown from the bike and landed in a ditch. He was transported via an emergency helicopter to the Medical University of South Carolina, Brouthers said.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital at 4:05 p.m., according to Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad.

No charges have been filed against Borck.

Wonders' wife, Terri, a student teacher, said her husband had left her a note Wednesday afternoon saying he was out cycling, would be home by 5:15 p.m., they'd have dinner and he would head to work at 6 p.m.

"When he wasn't back by 6, I knew something was wrong, and I was hoping he'd just had a flat or mechanical problems," said Terri, who, with some friends, set out to find him before hearing the news.

The couple met in high school and would have celebrated their fourth wedding anniversary June 24.

Wonders often talked about close calls with vehicles, and his wife said she worried about his training on busy Lowcountry roads where some motorists harassed cyclists.

"Every time he left the house (for a ride), I would tell him I loved him and to be careful," she said.

Close friends gathered at a local bike store Thursday to talk about Wonders.

John Glover, president of Coastal Cyclists bicycle club, often trained with Wonders and said he was always encouraging others on group rides.

"He was about promoting cycling and getting people out," said Glover. "He was one of the best riders in the state, but you'd never know it. There are lots of guys with less ability than him who are self-centered about it. Not Garrett."

Christopher Mackenzie of James Island said that when he couldn't keep up with a pack of bike riders, Wonders often would drop back and, by drafting, help pull Mackenzie back into the pack.

"My heart sank when I heard news of Garrett being killed," said Mackenzie.