Classified Question

Sep 2007

Classified Question

I ma new here and I just listed my bike on Sunday. I just checked and in the brand, it is the 4th most viewed and the 3rd most popular. I have had 293 views and only one email inquiry and no phone calls. I even got the blue book value from the National Bike Registry and It feel in between the high and low values. I am confussed as to hot it seems to be priced right and getting so many views yet only one inquiry. Is this typical? Any input would be vey much apreciated.

William

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Lots of us like to look but don't have the ca$h to purchase them. Plus, you not posting much makes you more of a risk. Give it time, it's only been a couple of days.
    Dictated but not read.

Sep 2007
    Is there anything I can do to put people at ease such as using pay pal or providing other information about my bike?

Being new I was confussed as to why the massive number of views but no inquiries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    People just looking, I look all the time. They may be looking for the frame size inside it, just looking at the condition, what it looks like, etc.

Depends on your market, you have to know what sells fast and what doesn't thats all.

Arrogant roadie.....
    You've probably been scanned 290 times by automated web crawlers. Be expecting replies from Nigeria shortly.....
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the same experience selling my cage (car) recently.

Lots of people looked, w/ absolutely no intention of buying- I could've told them I'd sell it for $2k less than what it's really worth & they still wouldn't have bought it. But then along came someone who gave me the full price of what I was asking cuz it was exactly what they were looking for.

Moderatus Puisne

Price?

I have sold lots and lots of things through classifieds, here and other places. I have always gotten plenty of responses in the first few days of an ad, if I get (m)any.

Either your ad makes people uncomfortable that your bike is reliably in the condition you describe, or you are asking too much.

I have no idea what this "bike blue book" is, nor whether their prices are reliable. I do know that people often over-value their used stuff -- and this is the end of the season, when road bike prices are lower and the market for gear is pretty full. I pick my prices by asking, "what would I think is a good deal for this item used?

If the value isn't the problem, then take some better pictures and put 'em on a website, then link to those pics in your advert.

Sep 2007
    I appreciate all of your input. I have several pics and am always happy to take more specific ones for someone. The blue book is through the National Bike Registry. They give you the MSRP and then from the data they have collected they they give you a high and a low range.

I just checked and in the brand category, my bike is the 3rd most popular and the 4th most viewed. If someone can see something wrong I would love to know, especially if it is overpriced. I would even be glad to state the bluebook numbers.

Any thoughts??

Your viewership numbers will be skewed by this thread. This thread has over 130 views and most of us checked it just to see what you're talking about.
    Dictated but not read.

Sep 2007
    Being new here I am a little uncertain as to how things work and how my viewrship will be skewed. The bike is what it is. I would think that this site would be less suspicious than others such as Craigslist. Also, I would think that a bluebook for bicycles would be just as helpfull as for cars, especially if you are not sure as to the price of a bike you are viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by wharrell
    Being new here I am a little uncertain as to how things work and how my viewrship will be skewed. The bike is what it is. I would think that this site would be less suspicious than others such as Craigslist. Also, I would think that a bluebook for bicycles would be just as helpfull as for cars, especially if you are not sure as to the price of a bike you are viewing.
    My point was that this thread is itself an advertisment for you bike, that's why you're seeing so many more hits. With that many people looking to see what you're talking about, you're going to have a greatly reduced ratio of viewers to potential buyers. Most of those viewers were likely just like me and have no interest in buying a bike in the immediate future.

Here's hoping that you get it sold soon.
    Dictated but not read.

Sep 2007
    Thanks HP. I am hoping so too. I am waiting for my bike shop to get the new 2008 Trek Madone 5.2 in but that won't be until Nov 13.

Bikaholic

some advice

I've had pretty good luck posting in ads here and on mtbr.com here is what I generally put if I'm trying to sell a complete bike.

First off lots of pictures. You did pretty good on this. However, if there were any imperfections such as scraches I'd show them close up.

What you've written in the ad is ok, however, if I was doing it that would just be the summary at the beginning. After that I would do a total part breakdown listing every part on the bike with condition and if possible part number.

For instance on your bike I don't know what kind of pedals are on there or what type of mavic wheels.

The idea is to answer any question that someone could ask you.

After that give a little summary again maying telling them you take paypal or postal money order then telling the scammers to F off.

All and all I'd say its a pretty nice bike at a pretty good price, but like others already said, its the end of the season most places and people are pretty happy with their bikes right now.
    -Palek

Ride today...
    ... you might not be able to tomorrow