Clicking sound......Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Clicking sound......Help

Ok, I notice that when I stand my lower bracket makes a funny ticking noise. What doesit sound like? (tick, tick, tick, tick, tick,ect). I asked my LBS about it (no he did not actually see the bike) and the guys thinks that my creank bearings may need a cleaning? The bike has only seen one season and I am pretty good in cleaning it after every ride. Could I really have something wrong with my crank already. It's a 105 and only has one season on it....

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking It could be a million different things...

Quote Originally Posted by Muaythaibike
    Ok, I notice that when I stand my lower bracket makes a funny ticking noise. What doesit sound like? (tick, tick, tick, tick, tick,ect). I asked my LBS about it (no he did not actually see the bike) and the guys thinks that my creank bearings may need a cleaning? The bike has only seen one season and I am pretty good in cleaning it after every ride. Could I really have something wrong with my crank already. It's a 105 and only has one season on it....
    ...best idea is take it into your LBS and let them deal with it...
    Go big, or take up bowling...

banned
    Yup, have a LBS wrench look and listen to it. Without being there it's hard to help you more. It doesn't sound like you're inclined to the work yourself so having the LBS deal with it will be easiest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Just got new pedals so I that's the problem... How tight should I crank the new ones on???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    The cups on your BB might need greasing. They dry out in time or get washed out when riding in the rain.

I tighten my pedals a 1/4-1/2 turn passed finger tight. So they're snug but not overtightend.
    This poster is an employee of

We Keep You Cycling

Sep 2007
    My guess is the hex-bolts that hold your chain-rings to the spider arms. Remove bolts, clean, regrease and torque back up to spec. I like to work in a pattern around the chain-ring while removing and retorquing the bolts to keep them reasonably equally tensioned. This is fresh in my mind as I need to do this on my commuter bike tonight.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member

Exclamation Stop screwing around...

...and GO SEE YOUR LBS...

Beetpull DeLite
    If you can't troubleshoot and fix it yourself, just go to the LBS and let them handle it.

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRacer55
    ...and GO SEE YOUR LBS...
    +1

Just do it. You'll thank yourself for doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Ok, what are some easy things I can to to trouble shoot? Bolts tight? I can do that. Re-greese BB?????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Mine started clicking on Friday. Everything is tight, but the drivetrain was filthy. It's now clean. I'll see how it goes on the next ride.

Two wheels=freedom!
    Sep 2003
    If I recall, your Trek is fairly new, and has 105 on it. I doubt your BB is not a sealed bearing design, but I guess it could be. If it is sealed bearing, they take many years to dry out. So I doubt it is that.

Does the sound ONLY happen when you are out of the saddle? One of the frustrating things about clicking/ticking noises on a bike is that the frame acts like a speaker and amplifies sounds and many times makes them sound like they are comming from an area that they are not.

A common "clicking when standing" sound is the front skewer. I would take the front wheel off, clean and lightly grease the dropouts, re-install the wheel, and really crank on the skewers to tighten them up. I have had that fix this noise before.

Another "clicking when standing" source is the bar and stem. Make sure they are also clean and tight, but not TOO tight, as that has been known to cause clicking there. A light application of grease at the stem/steerer and the stem/bar can help there as well.

Chainring bolts and pedals tend to make their noises regardless of seated or standing, same with the BB so I would say just make sure they are torqued properly.

I wanted to start my reply by saying that those noises are common in Treks, and that all riders of highend, handmade Italian bikes never had these problems! (A light hearted jab at your defensive feelings about your brand from the "Trek Haters" thread a week or so ago.) Just kidding, friend!

If all else fails, a trip to the LBS may (or may not) be able to diagnose the source of the noise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Right, new Trek,,, 2007 105 Crank...Ticking sound only whan standing? Well actually no!!! Just under "strong" pedal application. I can reproduce the noice when seated but really have to pump the crank... Front skewer... I wil crank it down whwn I get home....

Yea, Trek... Quite an infferior product. My 5 year olds bike has a better crank...What else can I check?

RoadBikeReview Member

Talking You can check your idea...

Right, new Trek,,, 2007 105 Crank...Ticking sound only whan standing? Well actually no!!! Just under "strong" pedal application. I can reproduce the noice when seated but really have to pump the crank... Front skewer... I wil crank it down whwn I get home....

Yea, Trek... Quite an infferior product. My 5 year olds bike has a better crank...What else can I check?
    ...of what's worth wasting your time on and what you should subcontract to somebody who knows what to look for and can find and fix the problem in 15 minutes. Stop horsing around and GO SEE YOUR LBS...

Adventure Seeker
    Yes it could be the pedals too. I had a clicking sound at the same position of the crank (on old bike) and sure enough, when I installed my new Look pedals the sound was gone.
    I have a single track mind

Beetpull DeLite
    Ok, what are some easy things I can to to trouble shoot? Bolts tight? I can do that. Re-greese BB?????
    Do you have the tools to remove and re-install the BB and crank to the correct torque? No? Take it to your bike shop or get the tools. Buy "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    OK I checked the crank bolts. All tight. I did hovever notice that the front derailer mounting bolt was a little loose..Gave that guy a crank or 2...

banned
    One last time...

GO TO YOUR F'ING LOCAL BIKE SHOP!

NOW!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Chain link....go to your LBS.... water bottle cage....go to your LBS....saddle.....go to your LBS... seat post... go to your LBS....cleat on your shoe.....go to your LBS....cracked frame... go to your LBS.... ride on roads that tick when you ride hard.... go to your LBS. They sold you the bike, they are interested in keeping you happy (or should be). They have tools, they have parts, they have the Knowledge to fix things. Why not use them that is why they were put on this planet. 1. They are better at this than you are. 2. You know they are better at it than you because they do it all day long and you are asking us, the drunk masses. If you were better than them, we wouldn't be here.
    Maybe you could video tape it and post it, then we can see the bike and hear the noise. Go to your local bike shop!!!! They fix bikes and maybe as funny as we are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    tighten up your skewers and very lightly grease the contact points on the dropouts

in my experience this will fix 99% of ticking noises caused under heavy load

the other 1% is chainring bolts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    tighten up your skewers and very lightly grease the contact points on the dropouts

in my experience this will fix 99% of ticking noises caused under heavy load

the other 1% is chainring bolts
    This was the source of the ticking noise on my wife's bike, the critical area is circled:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Contact points on the dropouts? Just to make sure what you mean. Is this the location where the wheel "sits" on the fork....

And why LBS when there are simple things I can fix myself? This way I learn something and save money. Any fool can throw money at a problem...

banned

And why LBS when there are simple things I can fix myself? This way I learn something and save money. Any fool can throw money at a problem...

If you're so competent why are you so clueless?

What nearly everyone here has tried to tell you is that you are dealing with a system. To correctly solve this issue the system needs to be methodically gone through from beginning to finish. That involves having the correct tools for the job as well as the knowledge involved to use those tools. Various items in the system may need cleaning, inspection, lubing and reinstalling to a proper torque.

As eager as you may be, you simply lack the ability to solve this problem properly. As I look at you through my computer screen I see your eagerness is getting in the way of your ability to take the advice you initially sought.

One last time. Take the bike to the LBS. Or enroll in UBI

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I never said a was a competent bike wrench. Am I eager, yes I would like to learn. There was a time I could not put air in a car tire but now I can do things. Brakes, oli change, filters, water pump, radiator, etc...

Bike school??? Now that's an idea....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Could be this too.

I have an '06 Madone sl and also had a clicking sound when really pushing hard on the pedals. I went crazy trying to solve the problem too. In my case it was actually the seatpost clamp. I removed it from the frame and put a layer of plumbers tape on the outside of the seat tube where the post clamp sits. I replaced the clamp and the clicking sound has never returned. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast