Climb?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climb?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Climb?

In general, what do you consider to be "a climb"? Is it a grade? A distance at a particular grade? A distance at something higher than level?

Just curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
    In general, what do you consider to be "a climb"? Is it a grade? A distance at a particular grade? A distance at something higher than level?

Just curious.
    All the above.

The legs tell rider it's a climb whenever the grade slants upward. This could be like the 8 mile "false flat," traveling upstream along 2 Mile Run Creek on the Washington and Old Dominion MUT, or 22 miles up a 15,000 foot mountain like Mt. Wilson above LA.

Why do you ask? For strategies? My two cents: keep it aerobic as much as possible. Control the pain. It will get easier. When you're ready to fall off the bike, never give up. A valuable lesson for life in general.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I would consider a segment a climb if it's at least 5% and it'll take you at least 10 minutes at a continuous high effort output to finish. Anything shorter than this effort is barely a climb IMO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I would consider a segment a climb if it's at least 5% and it'll take you at least 10 minutes at a continuous high effort output to finish. Anything shorter than this effort is barely a climb IMO
    Sadly, here is southern NJ we don't have anything that fits that description. We are forced to call things like highway overpasses and steep driveways "climbs"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Anything ranked Cat-3 or lower on Strava would be my definition. Generally speaking at least a mile in length if I were to enforce an additional requirement

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    How long is a piece of sting type question.

Basically if I go to the small ring, can't give an almost exact time when I'll be going back to the big ring, and need to worry about pacing myself that's climbing to me.

There's a lot of 17ish grade 'bumps' around here of say 80 feet that I may use the small ring for but because I know almost exactly for how long in advance and I can go that distance at any pace I choose and not blow up I don't consider it climbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recall a climb.

You're riding down a city street, perhaps 7% downgrade but then need to make a sharp right into a 40 foot driveway of perhaps 11% upgrade.

Sounds like fluff but if you've experienced similar transitions that throw you off camber but at speed (try cold starting on 11%) at over a 180 on grade, while clipped in... and in front of everyone else, then you'd call that a climb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anything too long to sprint up?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I climbed out of bed this morning, I think I got the KOM!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Anything too long to sprint up?

Lots of riders give up too soon. They see a hill coming up, downshift at the bottom into the gear they're confident the legs can handle, hunker down, and reel it in, stroke by stroke. They start the climb at a slow speed, but still have to fight gravity, if only for 20 seconds.

Rider would save lots of energy staying in a slightly higher gear and attack at the bottom without slowing down, maximum strength, taking full advantage of momentum, spinning as fast as the legs will go. By the time rider is deep into oxygen debt, he's "waxed" the hill, while lesser mortals are still struggling.

The kid from Taiwan could sprint up Ross Drive in Rock Creek Park, about 1/4 mile, a grade that hurts in 42-28. He stood up the whole way, going 15 mph, while the rest of us would be slogging along trying to maintain 8 or 9 mph. We'd be hurting by the top. He'd be soft pedaling waiting for us, or on a good day, off the front never to be seen again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    One of the local segments is 1.4 miles, 7% average, 524' elevation gain. It takes me from 9-11 minutes. I consider it a hill. I use it for hill repeats.

A mountain segment about 20 miles from my house is 2.9 miles, 6% average, 1009' elevation. That I consider a climb.

I would call anything that takes longer then 15 minutes a climb but this is central PA so there are plenty of inclines to pick from.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    ... or 22 miles up a 15,000 foot mountain like Mt. Wilson above LA.
    15,000 ft. Mt. Wilson?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i do a local segment. i call that a climb, i've done ventoux and some similar colls, i don't think climb describes them well enough . perhaps slogs are a more apt term.

half hour is a climb, two hours is something else. can't get into in-betweens

RoadBikeReview Member
    … there is a road in Cincinnati, OH, ironically called Muchmore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    15,000 ft. Mt. Wilson?
    Oops, typo. That's 5700 ft. not 15,000! Please excuse the exaggeration! The only real mountain I can brag about climbing! It's obviously a piece of cake compared to the Rockies. It took two hours, 22 miles averaging 11 mph. The grade isn't so hard the first 17 miles, but work the last 5 miles. That was in my flaming youth around age 45.

The best thing rideable from DC is Sugarloaf Mtn. north of Poolesville, MD. Pics below. It's less than a mile climb, 800 ft. The best of us would do it in 6 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Climb?-pict0140-1-.jpg   Climb?-pict0142-1-.jpg  
    Last edited by Fredrico; 02-26-2019 at 06:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It’s weird where I am on the Jersey Shore, I don’t have real climbs but i will get 2K+ on a 20 mile ride routinely. Far from epic but definitely a little climbing. We have short but steep grade stuff. We have a few steeper than a staircase grades near me, in “The Highlands,” but again, they are short. The top of a few offer the best views of the NYC skyline! I don’t think I really climb, but it sure isn’t flat...
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Coincidentally, I've been on that road.

There's also a Devil's Backbone Road, over by where I ride on the west side of the city.

It gets hilly.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    8% on that, it's a fun one going down too!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    The only real mountain I can brag about climbing. .

It took me two hours to do Mt. Wilson, CA, 22 miles averaging 11 mph. The grade isn't so hard the first 17 miles, but it was work the last 5 miles. There's a steeper southern route that I never tried on the svelte DeRosa with the 53/44 in front and 13-22 in back, gears "Eddy preferred" riding some of the mountain stages on his DeRosa set up exactly the same. That was in my flaming youth around age 45.
    It's a nice ride, but I think you need to re-check your notes. Mt. Wilson is not 15,000 ft.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    It's a nice ride, but I think you need to re-check your notes. Mt. Wilson is not 15,000 ft.
    Only. a "slight" exaggeration, 3 times over! These memories sweetened with age! Corrected above!

Starting to feel short of breath around 5000 ft., can't imagine how it would be climbing higher, like in the Rockies outside Boulder. The distances and net elevation gains may be close to the same, but the air is considerably thinner at the higher altitudes.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 02-26-2019 at 07:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Coincidentally, I've been on that road.

There's also a Devil's Backbone Road, over by where I ride on the west side of the city.

It gets hilly.
    There is a Devil's Backbone coming outta Yellow Springs, OH and is often included on organized tour rides. It's an anomaly formed by a "gorge" created by the Little Miami river. Once on top, the terrain varies to different degrees of rollers depending on direction taken.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Starting to feel short of breath around 5000 ft., can't imagine how it would be climbing higher, like in the Rockies outside Boulder. The distances may be close to the same, but the air is considerably thinner at the higher altitudes.
    Like everything else, you get used to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    climbed ventoux. don' t recall any issue. was also in the french alps doing several colls between geneva and alpe de huez. if there was an issue i acclimated to it right away

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is a climb IMO:

The California Tour of the Alps—Death Ride

The five-pass ride in the Sierras includes 129 miles and 15,000+ feet of lung busting climbing. You also have the option of riding one, two, three, four or five passes.

https://deathride.com/general-information/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    i'm not doing a climb on monday, I'm do'in a MOUNTAIN!
    BANNED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast