Clothing and 5-20C (40-70F)

Jun 2003

Clothing and 5-20C (40-70F)

What do you guys do for cooler weather riding? I'm thinking about just using arm and leg warmers and maybe just a base layer which I don't normally use in warm weather. Hopefully there will be some more warm weather, but I think it is starting to pass us by. Is there a heavier base layer suggestion that might work well for the colder temps? Any glove suggestions? I am not a fan of gloves, but if I want to keep feeling in my fingers, they would be needed.

I know there was a post earlier on colder weather, sadly I won't be getting out in those temps.

Thanks

Unrepentant Mountainbiker

Your on the right track

Quote Originally Posted by witcomb
    What do you guys do for cooler weather riding? I'm thinking about just using arm and leg warmers and maybe just a base layer which I don't normally use in warm weather. Hopefully there will be some more warm weather, but I think it is starting to pass us by. Is there a heavier base layer suggestion that might work well for the colder temps? Any glove suggestions? I am not a fan of gloves, but if I want to keep feeling in my fingers, they would be needed.

I know there was a post earlier on colder weather, sadly I won't be getting out in those temps.

Thanks
    It takes experimentation. What I feel good in at 40, and what you feel good in at 40 could be very different. Just remember that the wind hitting bare skin is your enemy when the temps drop below about 50 degrees F. BTW, If I stopped riding when the temps dropped below 40, I would have to quit in October!

As long at the temp is above 20 D F, I will be out there. Maybe even cooler if I get some better cold weather gear.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

pack fodder
    Experiment to see what works for you. Wind & air dampness also factor in.

Usually, below 70F, I'll wear arm & knee warmers. Below 60, long sleeve jersey, switch to long-fingered gloves, and either leg warmers or knickers. (I always wear a base layer top, even in 90 temps)

Colder than that, and I break out the tights, wool socks, shoe covers, and warmer gloves, and progressively layer up top (I have a windblock jacket), including added head coverage.

Perfect, for me, is when I'm a little chilly at the start of a ride.

Last winter, I rode down into the teens. Tights over knickers, balaclava, 2 glove layers, heated glove packets, several top layers, and plastic bags strategically located on my feet and between my legs. ;)
    "I don't know what truculent mean, but if it's good, I'm that!" - Muhammad Ali

Apr 2004
    Remember to factor in wind and rain and even clouds. A windy, cloudy 50F day can feel like freezing. In addition to insulation, wind and rain gear is important. I always carry a wind vest (or jacket) when the temperatures are below 60F. It weighs little, but can add a lot of comfort if the wind picks up (or you're heading down a fast hill). If you don't need it, roll it up and stuff it in a jersey pocket.

Jun 2003
    I will probably only ride the road until October/November. I'll just mountain bike after that point. I have had no problem with clothing in the winter, normally a base layer, long sleeve base and a jersey does the job. I don't have to worry about the wind in the trees.

Rollin' Stones

Cool, to cold, to "you rode!?"

I highly reccomend the Craft baselayer stuff. In any temp, it works. Arm warmers and leg warmers are a good idea, Long sleeved jerseys too. What I use and feel are the best items, besides wind stopper Craft, are these:
    1. Nike winter riding hat, Get 'em at Trek.com. You stay warm, not wet. Windproof/waterproof cut for under a helmet.
    2. Nashbar Gore Tex pants. These wind/water proof pants are awesome. Watch for sales for about $90.
    3. PI flash tights. Fleece lined, great for layering.
    4. Team issue winter coat. I got a Kelme issue winter coat from probikekit.com for, like $60. If you can stand the team colors, they work really well.
    I use 2 cheap layers of knit gloves from Wal-mrt under my Neumann receivers gloves from my football days. Gloves and socks/overshoes are something I put into a category of saddles. Everyone has something positive or negative about them. You have to find what works for you.
    Cold weather riding is an adventure. Ride smart. Ride safe. Have fun!
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!