Clothing for winter road riding.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Clothing for winter road riding.

Can anyone direct me to products suitable for riding in cold temperatures - eg 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Can anyone direct me to products suitable for riding in cold temperatures - eg 10-20 degrees Fahrenheit?
    It's just not your day my man.

There is an entire forum titled "Apparel and Cycling clothes" I would suggest you go there and then use the search bar. It's in the top right, just above the ads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    NO one in the pro peloton is wearing it and it's not very aero but
    https://www.columbia.com/titanium-landing/
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have an Omni Heat top (by comumbia) I use as a base layer under a good Winter jacket to keep me warm in those temperatures. I have that plus another layer.

Also I use Bar mitts when it's that cold, and heated insoles, they are made by Hotronics - you can get them on Amazon. These plus some good shoe covers and gloves and your vents on your shoes taped up should keep your hands and feet warm for hours.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Neophyte
    I swear mods used to move threads to appropriate sub-forums when it's... appropriate...

If the thread gets moved or OP posts a new thread in Apparel I'll participate... :P

Pack Fodder.
    OP- your best best is to hit up a fat bike forum. The guys that race them competitively generally wear the least they can get away with and still ward off hypothermia. Layering strategies and other tips can be found there.

For me, road biking at those temperatures just doesn't work. I can't get the kind of workout I prefer, and end up doing a ton of Zone 2 and below riding. Add in ice and snow, and other bicycle disciplines are more suited for flotation, traction, and comfort. Insulated shoes generally do better on a wider flat pedal, and not having to "unclip" when things go sideways is always nice.

Since fat-biking never floated my boat, I'm stuck with the trainer for 6 months out of the year. Maybe someday...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    NO one in the pro peloton is wearing it and it's not very aero but
    https://www.columbia.com/titanium-landing/
    I'll admit, I LOL'd IRL.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Hello.
    I have Youngstown Glove 03-3450-80, it's waterproof and windproof inner membrane keeps hands completely dry in cold, wet conditions. I have seen a lot of winter work gloves reviews, but Youngstown is perfect for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If you go to any group ride in those temps you'll see all sorts of different clothing (or not see it) from person to person and everyone is as comfortable as they can be in those temps.

So, no, I can't tell you what you should wear.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    It's just not your day my man.

There is an entire forum titled "Apparel and Cycling clothes" I would suggest you go there and then use the search bar. It's in the top right, just above the ads.
    While I agree with your first point, I don't agree with your second. The search function on these forums sucks.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    As far as winter riding is concerned, the dealbreaker for me is frozen fingers and toes. Good gloves and dedicated winter bike boots (not covers for regular bike shoes) are what keeps me riding in colder weather. But 30F is still my cutoff.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    It's impossible to tell you what will work. Everyone's metabolism and level of acclimatization is different. For any given temperature, what works for me (20 years of commuting and skiing in Montana winters) likely won't work for someone who's lived in Florida all their lives.

For me, at 20F to about 40F, a thin fleece jacket under a windproof breathable shell, lycra shorts under long tights with MTB shorts on top (my hips get cold, it's weird), thin but high ski socks, my normal shoes, and a pair of Kinco's work gloves are the ticket. The only switch I make for colder temps is to switch to PI "lobster mitts" and maybe add a balaclava.

But frankly, at those temps, I'm probably snowboarding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP, you'll have to figure this out yourself. By the mid-teens I'm wearing Lake 303 boots; a thick pair of Wigwam socks; mittens; base layer, thermal jersey, and cold weather jacket; chamois tights and cold weather tights; and, a balaclava. My commute is a little over 30 minutes and this works well, though the balaclava is ineffective on a long downhill. Set a PR today, 1°F.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At those temperatures just a bib, no shirt... indoors on zwift for me. I used to ride in colder weather but post zwift I don't have the patience for all the bundling up and suffering from the cold. Not to mention once snows start roads are a mess, either from the snow or from the salt/sand that remains after it melts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Set a PR today, 1°F.
    Strong work! What about eye protection? That's something I forgot about. I swore off riding in single digits after I had some eye issues riding at 5F. I think I actually got frost nip on one of them, even wearing my glasses, and I refuse to ride with ski goggles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    This should work
    Attached Images Attached Images

[REDACTED]
    OP, you'll have to figure this out yourself. By the mid-teens I'm wearing Lake 303 boots; a thick pair of Wigwam socks; mittens........
    How do you shift with mittens? I use either thick gloves or lobster mitts. Mittens don't give me enough dexterity for shifting and braking.

In this weather, I switch to Nordic skiing.
    Last edited by Lombard; 01-31-2019 at 02:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    What about eye protection?
    I wear eye protection year round. Following recent cataract surgery I got Oakley Jawbreakers with a photochromic lens. They work well but need an anti-fog treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    How do you shift with mittens? I use either thick gloves or lobster mitts. Mittens don't give me enough dexterity for shifting and braking.

BTW, the mitten brand is FILA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not going to offer any recs...people have such radical differences in temp tolerance, what works for one is under-/over-kill for the next guy.

even when I'm layered up to max, I invariably run across someone wearing only a short-sleeve jersey and shorts.

last week at 37F, even encountered some hard man on a beach cruiser wearing a ball cap, baggies, no jersey. his torso was a brilliant pink color...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    As others have said it varies person to person. The only thing I will add is when you start off you want to be chilly. You will warm up as you ride.

[REDACTED]
    I wear eye protection year round. Following recent cataract surgery I got Oakley Jawbreakers with a photochromic lens. They work well but need an anti-fog treatment.

BTW, the mitten brand is FILA.
    Well OK, I guess it's possible with rapid fire shifters like these. It wouldn't be possible on STI road bike shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I wear Pearl Izumi's (PI) Amfib stuff: gloves, pants. I also wear there winter long sleeve jersey and depending on how cold it is I have Gore winter jacket. You'd be amazed at how little you really need to stay warm in the winter while riding. You just need to make sure the gear fits properly (i.e. no loose layers). However, the most important layer is the base layer (i.e. a compression layer). The compression layer keeps in your body heat, while letting out sweat. All I ever really need is a good base layer and long sleeve jersey, but sometimes on those really cold days, I may add the jacket (rarely though). As far as keeping your feet warm, there are too many choices. I use Gore and PI's overshoes, but found the overshoes just weren't keeping my toes warm enough, so they will be used for those milder fall and spring rides now. I finally purchased a set of winter riding shoes (the fi'zi:k R5 Artica shoe) that I like so far. Also, I don't ride in the winter without the Balaclava.

Note: I've found that good form fitting layers is best during winter riding, so aim for form fitting gear. Take proper measurements because every company sizes things differently. It was trial and error for me, but I finally got my winter gearing right, so let me know if you have any questions.

This stuff isn't cheap, but I just catch them when they go on sale or buy winter gear in the summer and summer gear in the winter when they are basically giving them away. Gore has some good stuff, but they are a bit more pricey - just watch for sales. I've also purchased some gear across the pond where the price for some stuff was literally 1/2 the cost than here in the U.S. - just have to be a little more patient for shipping sometimes, but for 1/2 the price, I can wait a little longer.

Pants:
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/11111714021

Gloves:
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/14141512021

Jersey:
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho.../p/11121624021
    Last edited by Methodical; 02-01-2019 at 07:47 AM.