Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C'mon, guys...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    J I virtually never deny a wheel sucker a draft if he/she wants a rest from wind resistance on the road. This many times can turn into pleasant conversation.
    me neither but if they won't say something or give a cough to let me know they are there, I get pissy. If they stay 3 car lengths back, I don't mind and will say something to them at the next stop. It shouldn't be so hard to say Hi, do you mind if I stick with you for a few miles? The worst that will happen is the other dude will say, I prefer riding alone thanks.

Banned forever.....or not
    I never let it bother me. If a stranger latches onto my wheel, I'll give it a minute or two, and then slow down to 10 mph. If need be, I'll turn onto another road if I find I'm catching them. I've only gotten mad and nasty once, and that when some clown did it in a TT when I passed him.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can see the dangers of doing this. I would be pretty upset if someone hit me from behind when I slowed (not knowing they were back there). With that said, I had a guy jump on my wheel yesterday. He didn't say anything and I noticed when I heard him coast. It really didn't bother me. I made sure to signal when I was turning off. No issues and he got to save some energy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I rarely hop on someone else's wheel, but have had people hop on mine.

I choose to not let it bother me. I suggest you all, and your SOs do the same.

If you're so irritated by it (not sure why) just sit up and ask the other person to back off.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Sitting up and initiating the conversation is an option,and solves the problem. However it misses the point. If you want something from another person, you should ask.

11 speed,you miss the point. If you “meet” nice people and talk tech, By definition,you know they are there. This is about ghost drafters.

My wife is also very nervous about strangers staying right with her. She does not want to ride alone because of situations like this.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I rarely hop on someone else's wheel, but have had people hop on mine.

I choose to not let it bother me. I suggest you all, and your SOs do the same.

If you're so irritated by it (not sure why) just sit up and ask the other person to back off.

That's exactly what we're talking about, or maybe give them a little insight on proper ettiquette/safety.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    That's exactly what we're talking about, or maybe give them a little insight on proper ettiquette/safety.
    Yet the poster above says this isn't enough.

People need to grow up.

Nobody is going to stay on your wheel if you ask them to back off. If they do then you're within your right to ride as if they are not there.

If a person has too much social anxiety to politely ask someone to back off I totally understand how this is an annoying and stressful situation. But then that person needs to recognize that they are the ones bringing all the baggage to the situation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When a stranger rides up behind you but doesn't want to pass you just how far back behind you should they stay to be "OK."

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    When a stranger rides up behind you but doesn't want to pass you just how far back behind you should they stay to be "OK."
    A mile ~cxwrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    generally have no issues if someone latches on to my wheel.

don't care if they take a pull or not, don't care if they chat me up...

if they do become annoying tho, I simply stop and let them roll on.

such an easy solution.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Perma-Newb
    Dec 2009
    Just to be clear, again, I would never and nor have I ever, PURPOSELY snotted/spit/took someone through a pot hole. B/C yeah, you are right, that would be not a very cool thing to do.

Just to be clear, I wrote about when I DO NOT KNOW the rider is back there and I am operating under the belief that it is just me on my bike ride.

Jeez.

Perma-Newb
    Dec 2009
    Not at all, 11sp, not a different POV. You want a break from the wind, swing up alongside and say hello, ask if it works for me and then, yeah, it can turn into a motivating and fun ride.

What no one here seems be reading is it is all about COMMUNICATION and not randomly jumping on someone's wheel.

Perma-Newb
    Dec 2009
    This is exactly it, thank you.

The bigger purpose of the original post was also to call out the effect that this has, or could have, on women. Do we want more women in the sport? I know I do, it would be good for the health of the sport. So, don't be creepy when creepiness is everywhere already.

Perma-Newb
    Dec 2009
    I'm sorry but what? Where have i said this isn't enough or are you referring to someone else? Go back and read my post and follow up to Mr Woodsy. I have talked, asked, even used various hand signals.

Sometimes, just sometimes, when I am on the bike I am doing so with a specific goal in mind. If I am in the middle of an interval and some dude hops on my wheel, fine, but when interval over and i sit up, slowing significantly, I dont want that person riding into me. I have been lucky enough to have 30+ years of competition around the USA and Europe but I cannot assume the ghost on my wheel does...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    My wife is also very nervous about strangers staying right with her. She does not want to ride alone because of situations like this.
    Woman getting nervous in that situation is understandable. It's not exclusive to cycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    As for warding off drafters, I've posted an idea last year.

Name:  Jersey1968.sized.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  85.2 KB

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Sitting up and initiating the conversation is an option,and solves the problem. However it misses the point. If you want something from another person, you should ask.

11 speed,you miss the point. If you “meet” nice people and talk tech, By definition,you know they are there. This is about ghost drafters.

No Herbie, I get the point. I only begin talking until the rider in front of me passes the litmus test of tolerance after me clandestinely drafting him for 10 miles.

Normally the conversation goes like...

Say wha? What are you doing back there?
    I'm drafting because I like to save my energy.
    But I didn't give you permission.
    I don't need permission. I own the road.
    You don't own the road.
    Yes I do. In fact, you are invading my space. I would have been perfectly content to ride by myself but I came upon you riding faster because I am a superior cyclist.
    They invariably agree with this logic and congratulate me on my fitness.

banned
    Nov 2009
    OP carries pre-printed contracts on all his rides and demands a permission to Draft signature.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    As for warding off drafters, I've posted an idea last year.

Name:  Jersey1968.sized.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  85.2 KB
    Plumber by trade?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    A mile ~cxwrench
    Stop being an idiot in situations like this. Your intent is to piss people off, I just do it because of my personality.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Wheelsuckers actually make you faster.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/10/much...-get-drafting/

It’s obvious to anyone who’s ridden in a group just how much assistance you get by sitting behind those at the front. But it turns out that riders leading a bunch — the ones pushing into the wind — also get an advantage by being part of a group.

In their 2007 paper Andy G. Edwards and William C. Byrnes found a reduction in drag of 1.63% for lead riders, due to a “pushing” effect from the riders behind. This seems to be because the drafting rider fills the space behind the rider ahead, ensuring the air flows past both riders, rather than allowing turbulent airflow behind the leading rider.

Obviously the rider in front still needs to expand much more energy than the cyclist who is following. But it is worth noting that there are gains to be had while sitting on the front of a group, compared with riding alone.

Bert Blocken came to a similar conclusion in his 2013 study on the aerodynamic drag of two drafting cyclists. Blocken wanted to find the optimal strategy for team time trials and how all riders could be used to full effect. He found that in a four-rider paceline, the lead rider’s drag is reduced by about 2 to 3% compared to if they were riding solo. The second rider in line experiences a reduction of about 27% while the third and fourth riders see drag reductions of approximately 35%.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Wheelsuckers actually make you faster.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/10/much...-get-drafting/

It’s obvious to anyone who’s ridden in a group just how much assistance you get by sitting behind those at the front. But it turns out that riders leading a bunch — the ones pushing into the wind — also get an advantage by being part of a group.

In their 2007 paper Andy G. Edwards and William C. Byrnes found a reduction in drag of 1.63% for lead riders, due to a “pushing” effect from the riders behind. This seems to be because the drafting rider fills the space behind the rider ahead, ensuring the air flows past both riders, rather than allowing turbulent airflow behind the leading rider.

Obviously the rider in front still needs to expand much more energy than the cyclist who is following. But it is worth noting that there are gains to be had while sitting on the front of a group, compared with riding alone.

Bert Blocken came to a similar conclusion in his 2013 study on the aerodynamic drag of two drafting cyclists. Blocken wanted to find the optimal strategy for team time trials and how all riders could be used to full effect. He found that in a four-rider paceline, the lead rider’s drag is reduced by about 2 to 3% compared to if they were riding solo. The second rider in line experiences a reduction of about 27% while the third and fourth riders see drag reductions of approximately 35%.
    In bold above...in fact my defense when confronted with surreptitiously wheel sucking. I am making them faster and they in turn reluctantly thank me for being there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    In bold above...in fact my defense when confronted with surreptitiously wheel sucking. I am making them faster and they in turn reluctantly thank me for being there.
    I've called out my power meter watts to non-equipped tri-geeks when they drag my old ass down the local MUT-they love it.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    I've called out my power meter watts to non-equipped tri-geeks when they drag my old ass down the local MUT-they love it.
    What correlation coefficient do they use with your power numbers?

RoadBikeReview Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast