Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C'mon, guys...

Perma-Newb
    Dec 2009

C'mon, guys...

Iíve been a member for a long time but donít post much, usually getting sucked into the cesspool that is PO. Surely some great people but the lies we tell ourselves donít cease to amaze me. This post is not about political lies but about another lie some, as cyclists, tell themselves. That lie is that it is okay to randomly jump on the wheel of someone riding past you. Why? Pretty simple from my saddle, if I donít know you are back that and blow snot, you are getting it in the face (I chew tobacco, btw, so you could get that too); or, if I see a small pothole and decide to bunny hop it instead of ride around it (I like to have fun on my bike, too), you are going to smash that hole (this actually happened to a person I didnít know was on my wheel and then he had the nerve to ***** at me). Not only could this be messy for this unknown wheelsucker but it could also be expensive or painful or worse. If I donít know you are back there, anything could happen to YOU, and that would ruin my ride and/or day.

While I dislike this, normally I can ride the person off wheel. Yeah, it bugs the hell out of me and takes me away from why I am riding my bike, but I deal and move on. However, when this happens to my wife, it takes on an entirely different meaning. I am proud of her, super fit and super strong on the bike with years of top level racing (amateur) in Europe; normally, she just rides these men (it is 99.99% men that do this, around here anyway) off her wheel. But what if she wasnít as fit (like now, coming off a major surgery four months ago and only just back on the TCR) or if it was YOUR wife? How do these ďmenĒ think this makes women riders feel when they do this. I can tell you: creeped out, frustrated, a good ride turned bad just because some dude on his new racing bike cannot accept being passed by a woman. In these days of #metoo, it adds an entirely new level of weirdness and creepiness.

So, now what? Iíll tell you. If a rider passes you when you are riding along at whatever pace you are going, man or woman, and you want a break from the wind for a minute then swing up alongside and say hello, ask if you can sit on for a few and, perhaps, even suggest taking a steady turn at the front once youíve got your legs back. Please. Otherwise just keep your pace and enjoy YOUR ride, like the rest of us are. #youjustmakeusstronger

Rant over, hope everyone got out on the bike today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I get it. It bugs me too but, I'd never purposely ride over a pothole or spit/blow snot on a wheelsucker. Use it as an opportunity to educate the rider. Don't make it any more hostile than it already is out there.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    There have been threads about this in the past. I'm sure I've started one, and I've complained about it on FB as well. Easily one of my biggest pet peaves. If I didn't leave the house w/ you OR meet you someplace that was planned before, we're NOT riding together. If by some chance I pass you and you then jump on my wheel w/o saying anything I'll do something nasty. If you roll up to a stop light and then hang on my wheel w/o saying anything I'll do something nasty. People just don't get it. It's rude, it's not safe. I've even had it happen when motor pacing someone. You pass some random rider out in the middle of nowhere and they try to jump on the riders wheel.

If you want to ride w/ someone open you damn mouth and say 'hi...mind if I sit on your wheel, or share some pulls?'. Don't assume anything, it's way to easy to just say something.

ETA: After reading woody's post I'll agree and clarify a little. If an experienced looking rider that looks like they should know better does this I might do something nasty (generally blow my nose or spit), if it's someone that looks new or is a random commuter I'll slow down and let them know what's up.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

banned
    Nov 2009

Perma-Newb
    Dec 2009
    Woodys, l agree, and would never PURPOSELY run over a pot hole or spit/snot on some dude that I know is on my wheel. I attempted to be as clear as possible that the post above was about when I do NOT know there is a rider on my wheel. Yeah, then I will purposely bunny hop a pot hole, seam in the road or manhole cover. I find it entertaining after a number of hours in the saddle and is nice to move around some.

When I do know someone is on my wheel, of course, I try my best to educate them in a civil manner. That works maybe 5% of the time, the remaining varies between "don't be an a**hole" to "oh, okay, I am in and let's split up the time".

So, to your final point, don't make it any more hostile than it already is. Agreed, so chill and enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Deleted

RoadBikeReview Member
    Brain Chemistry, Don't Leave Home Without It.

Proud luddite
    Itís simply a matter of common courtesy, which unfortunately is not very common these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Yep...Agreed. Glad you give them a chance first which is way cool. I'm all about that. If they give you sh!t after that then all bets are off. I fully agree it's a touch creepy for someone to do this to a women. It shouldn't be but, in this world it is what it is. You don't mess with women. Ride on...

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    What it is ff.

You have to ask how anti social people are created. A lifetime of negative reinforcement...lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Itís simply a matter of common courtesy, which unfortunately is not very common these days.
    ??? Seems like a stand up guy with none of the baggage of the current crop of media stars. Why U hatin'?

Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    What it is ff.

You have to ask how anti social people are created. A lifetime of negative reinforcement...lol.
    It has nothing to do w/ being anti social, for me it's about ettiquette and safety. If you're polite and say hi, great. If you just creep up on my ass and sit there silently you deserve what you get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It has nothing to do w/ being anti social, for me it's about ettiquette and safety. If you're polite and say hi, great. If you just creep up on my ass and sit there silently you deserve what you get.
    Agreed. I have rarely had anybody do this to me, but if it happens, not to worry, I will usually pass them on the next uphill. If that doesn't work, I'll make a stop to lose them.

This is one reason I never, ever allow anyone I don't know to follow me on Strava. I get follow requests from strangers quite a bit. I just hit DENY.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

This is one reason I never, ever allow anyone I don't know to follow me on Strava. I get follow requests from strangers quite a bit. I just hit DENY.
    It's an automatic event in the Strava source code.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You guys need to take it to... PO. You'd fit right in!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I agree that it's dangerous. I had this happen and when I spotted some riding buddies and decided to stop and talk to them and I did not know a guy was on my wheel until one of the guys asked if the rider was with me. I was like, who? He could've ran into the back of me. He was silent because I heard nothing.

I did the Seagull Century yesterday and me and few buddies were taking turns pulling and there were a convoy of jokers on our wheels that never jumped out and pulled. If we slowed and moved over, they would not go pass us. Damn shiisters.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I agree that it's dangerous. I had this happen and when I spotted some riding buddies and decided to stop and talk to them and I did not know a guy was on my wheel until one of the guys asked if the rider was with me. I was like, who? He could've ran into the back of me. He was silent because I heard nothing.

I did the Seagull Century yesterday and me and few buddies were taking turns pulling and there were a convoy of jokers on our wheels that never jumped out and pulled. If we slowed and moved over, they would not go pass us. Damn shiisters.
    sorry man, we were tired.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, if some guy somehow sneaked up on my wheel, that would freak me out !

But most riders that can ride, and you are kinda going the same way, I'm not going to try an wreck him or snot on him, that is just retarded.

But I see your point, you don't know what they are going to do, I have seen some crazy stuff.

And all the guys/gals your talking about... they don't read this forum.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    sorry man, we were tired.
    Then stop, get a motel room and finish the ride the next day.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

banned
    Sep 2015
    Just to provide a counterpoint to all the intolerant people on the road who won't give a draft to a stranger, I virtually never deny a wheel sucker a draft if he/she wants a rest from wind resistance on the road. This many times can turn into pleasant conversation. I enjoy the company of others on the road. In fact, it is part of the reason I ride, the social aspect of riding. I will in fact take a break from hammering on the road for pleasant conversation which adds to the richness of riding.
    A different point of view of what is written in this thread..
    Last edited by 11spd; 10-07-2018 at 07:59 PM.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Some of my best rides are when I get passed and I press hard to catch the wheel then after drafting a while I'll pull then it's a trade off for miles.

No words spoken.

Some of my best rides are when I get passed and I press hard to catch the wheel then after drafting a while I'll pull then it's a trade off for miles.

No words spoken.
    That's just not safe. Just think...the guy you catch up to has no idea you're there and slows down unexpectedly w/ you on his wheel. Don't you think it would be a good idea to let this person know you're there? No troll answer...give an honest one.

banned
    Sep 2015

No words spoken.
    Agree. I encounter this all the time. Its quickly surmised if the other rider doesn't want to participate. Heck I have traded drafts with riders I never met before, got to talking about bike tech and even switched bikes. Quite a while back, I got my first ride on a Venge VIAS passing a guy and then slowing down to ask him how he liked the bike. He asked me if I wanted to ride it and because we were about the same size, I said sure.
    Last edited by 11spd; 10-08-2018 at 03:05 AM.

banned
    Nov 2009
    That's just not safe. Just think...the guy you catch up to has no idea you're there and slows down unexpectedly w/ you on his wheel. Don't you think it would be a good idea to let this person know you're there? No troll answer...give an honest one.
    True, I'll side by side him so he sees me then i'll slither back to draft.

I never just sneak up from behind.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Its perfectly safe. You don't draft wheel to wheel. You ride well off the back wheel of rider in front such that there could never be any entanglement but still derive some draft. People do this to me from time to time as well. I am fine with it. I have been riding for several decades and never an issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast