Combining Running with Cylcling
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

So who does both and do you feel they compliment each other or does one activity help another more than the the way around. My own experience is that cycling seems to make me run faster but not vice versa but when I do run, I find cycling recovery time after climbs occurs faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    So who does both and do you feel they compliment each other or does one activity help another more than the the way around. My own experience is that cycling seems to make me run faster but not vice versa but when I do run, I find cycling recovery time after climbs occurs faster.
    I do both, they are both different exercises though and they train similar but different muscles. Running is not the best exrcise in my opinion but it sure beats sitting on the couch all day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is just wrong

Velominati › The Rules

See rule #42. Also anyone who answers this is likely in violation of rule #2.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I do both. They work different muscles. And I also believe you should be doing some sort of weight training, whether it's calisthenics, cross-fit or body building, doesn't matter, just something.

They both definitely work different muscles and there is no reason I can think of not to do both, unless you're a pro cyclist and for some reason your trainer/coach told you not to...

Running is a high impact sport. This means it's going to work a lot of stability and compensatory muscles you don't use in cycling. Running also will strengthen your bones. It's a fact, among any of the major land sports, cyclists have the lowest bone density!

Samfujiabq
    I absolutely do both and love it period!
    For every uphill there's a downhill,for every headwind there's a tailwind!

your text here
    i do both, but not in the same season. i used to be able to do both back-to-back or ride one day, run the next, etc. but nowadays i run into calf strains/pulled claves/plantar fac. if i do that. even when i use calf sleeves when running. so i limit running to late fall/winter/early spring and then ride late spring/summer/early fall.

started on the rollers 2/2 and have a few outdoor rides.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I do both, but only do running races not cycling races (unless you count the unofficial fast ride "races"). My belief is that they both can help you develop a big aerobic motor, but you need to do specific training to build sport specific form. I can sit in a big pack motoring along forever on the bike, but I'm useless when it comes to a sprint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've done both and love both. My experience is, running gives you a much more intense workout in a smaller amount of time, at least regarding heart rate. However, there is a much higher risk of injury (knee, foot, ankle, etc.). Cycling is much easier on the body, but you have to ride A LOT to get the same level of fitness that you get with running. My plan now is to build up my fitness with running, and use cycling as a complement, for now, then as my fitness improves, transition more into cycling to save my joints. Good running cardio fitness will make you a BEAST on the bike! I've just started pain-free running in the last couple of weeks (finally) while wired up with a Garmin & HR monitor, and even on short runs of 2 mi or less, I'm working at tempo or lactate threshold for most of these runs. It's a real physiological challenge, at this point, anyway, to finish a 2 mi run!
    "I forgot my mantra."

RoadBikeReview Member

I also do both, a lot of good information above. Running is something I like, but cycling is my love.
    But on a road bike you can really really ramp your heart rate into the stratosphere without worrying about stumbling.
    Both are awesome.
    Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    I do both, but like crossracer, cycling is my love. I live in Canada so my main fitness is running and in summer, cycling. I do find that cycling will give your cardio a much harder workout and does help for going up steeper hills. Cycling is much easier on the body and find it's great for longer workouts that you don't want to be as intense.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Intensity

Quote Originally Posted by paddy_boy View Post
    My experience is, running gives you a much more intense workout in a smaller amount of time, at least regarding heart rate.
    Just curious, but why don't you just ride harder if you want a more intense workout?

Pandesal Peddler
    Oct 2009
    I like both, for me, running makes my cycle climbing abilities better and vice versa. Better endurance as well. I swim laps between days and it help me relax and stretch out my muscles. Out of the three disciplines , I d say swimming is the only workout where I feel no sorness after.
    You Might be Right, but not Everyone Thinks like You- Mangberto

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Last edited by BikeLayne; 03-24-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    I do both but focus on cycling during the warmer months. I'm a firm believer in cross conditioning but am very careful with how I approach things. Running is harder on me than cycling so I am careful not to run the day before a big ride because my legs will be tight and tired. Oddly I can spin off a long bike ride (60/100 miles) but still am able to run in the evening, sometimes I think it actually helps loosen my legs up. Weird maybe but that's how my body reacts.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Running is a great way to get a workout in a shorter amount of time. Not a bad option for us time challenged cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Just curious, but why don't you just ride harder if you want a more intense workout?
    Again, just a question of time. Back in the day, I would run for 1 hour before work, then work 10 hours, 5 days/ wk. I doubt I could duplicate that same intensity on a bike, with the same time constraints. But, with the luxury of time, and a good training program, there's no doubt you could become a world class cardiovascular machine on a bike. One look at a pro cyclist would confirm that. I remember a few years ago, right after Lance Armstrong retired from pro cycling, almost on a whim, he ran the NY Marathon with hardly any marathon training, and finished in something like 2:20, which blew my away! Yeah, I know, PED's, but still, that's a real statement to his conditioning.
    "I forgot my mantra."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy_boy View Post
    Again, just a question of time. Back in the day, I would run for 1 hour before work, then work 10 hours, 5 days/ wk. I doubt I could duplicate that same intensity on a bike, with the same time constraints. But, with the luxury of time, and a good training program, there's no doubt you could become a world class cardiovascular machine on a bike. One look at a pro cyclist would confirm that. I remember a few years ago, right after Lance Armstrong retired from pro cycling, almost on a whim, he ran the NY Marathon with hardly any marathon training, and finished in something like 2:20, which blew my away! Yeah, I know, PED's, but still, that's a real statement to his conditioning.

Before Lance became a Pro Cyclist he was an Elite/Pro level Triathlete so he had the running base background.

I say go for it. I compete in Triathlons myself so have to train at all 3 disciplines. Out of the 3 I am more pooped running and the least after a swim (although I admit that I don't go crazy when it comes to swimming intensity). I do like the cycling the most out of the 3 disciplines though.