Constant click click click sound in my handlebar!!!.Do you have any suggestions?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Constant click click click sound in my handlebar!!!.Do you have any suggestions?

Hi

Every time the bike hits a pothole (small) or irregular asphalt, there`s a click click sound coming from the front of the bike. I have checked the stem, handlebar clamp, starnut, spacers and everything seems to be fine and well torqued. So what`s the deal with this?. The bike is almost new (less than 700km).

It`s a specialized allez comp 2004 with carbon 3 fork (alu steer tube).

Thanks a lot for your replys!

blame me for missed rides
    is your headset properly preloaded?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try putting some grease between the bars and stem. This is a commom problem. The sound would be more of a creak than a click. You can check if the headset is properly loaded by leaning on the front end of the bike while applying the front brake and rocking it front to back. You may have to put your hand on the top race to feel for movement if you can't reproduce the sound.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Fran
    Hi

Every time the bike hits a pothole (small) or irregular asphalt, there`s a click click sound coming from the front of the bike. I have checked the stem, handlebar clamp, starnut, spacers and everything seems to be fine and well torqued. So what`s the deal with this?. The bike is almost new (less than 700km).

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fran
    Hi

Another thing to check is make sure your STI lever clamps are tight.
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    And another thing, if your bike has ultegra STI levers, they are heavy enough to open and close when you hit a largish bump, creating a click or clack sound. Mine do this all the time. It was disconcerting until I realized what it was.

Jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    A link to what Jim said.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t25636.html

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    And another thing, if your bike has ultegra STI levers, they are heavy enough to open and close when you hit a largish bump, creating a click or clack sound. Mine do this all the time. It was disconcerting until I realized what it was.

Jim

Adrenalina Italiana

I would try doing this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by High Gear
    Try putting some grease between the bars and stem. This is a commom problem. The sound would be more of a creak than a click. You can check if the headset is properly loaded by leaning on the front end of the bike while applying the front brake and rocking it front to back. You may have to put your hand on the top race to feel for movement if you can't reproduce the sound.

Good Luck
    I just recently went through this,but mine was more of a creak in the frontend. I took the stem off and lubed the bottom of my stem and dabbed a little lube on each of the spacers. Hope this helps. If this doesn't kill it,I would check the front quick release.Seems like this almost always plays a hand in front end sounds.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Thanks a lot for all your answers...

I`ll try adding a light coate of grease between the spacers (they are carbon)...I have checked the headset and it has no rattle, so good preload ( is there other way to measure that, besides rattling the bike with the front brake pressed and the other hand on the top of the fork where the frame make contact?)

My last observation is to the poster who suggested a little grease at the clamping area of the stem...I think that doesn`t sound too safe...You don`t want ANY lube there...(Am I correct?)

It`s a specialized integrated mindset...

thanks a lot!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had some of those blinking barends that would make clicking sounds untill I wrapped some tape around it to make it snug.

May 2002
    I get a clicking like that, but found that it was the STI cable from the left shifter against the head tube. Put a little padding there and it all went away.....

Flash

RoadBikeReview Member

Check the stem too...

I had a terrible clicking sound coming from the bars. Re-greased everything to no avail. Finally I inspected the stem and found it was split the entire length from clamp to clamp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My last observation is to the poster who suggested a little grease at the clamping area of the stem...I think that doesn`t sound too safe...You don`t want ANY lube there...(Am I correct?)

No. Grease between the clamp and the handlebar should not be a problem (and could be the solution) as long as you have the clamp torqued correctly.
    We’re talking Led Zeppelin quality at a Def Leppard price.
    -Woot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Headphones.

If the sound goes away after the one or two clicks, I'd look at the headset especially if the sound is a pretty good clunk.

If not, grease and tighten everything you can think of until the sound goes away. Previous posters have mentioned all the spots I can come up with.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

RoadBikeReview Member

I had the same problem...

I went through all of the suggestions you've already received, but none of these helped.

What I found in the end, is that the sound was coming from the plastic cap on the top of the steerer tube. I took it off, wrapped the inner threads with Teflon plumber's tape, and that did the trick.

RoadBikeReview Member

Cool

??? There are no threads on a threadless steerer. What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand
    I went through all of the suggestions you've already received, but none of these helped.

What I found in the end, is that the sound was coming from the plastic cap on the top of the steerer tube. I took it off, wrapped the inner threads with Teflon plumber's tape, and that did the trick.

Apr 2006
    Do you have spacers under the stem? If you do those may be making the sound, I had a similar problem, loosened my stem at the steerer, pushed down hard (straight down the steerer), re-torqued the stem, noise was gone. Really easy fix that'll take you 5 minutes, if that's the problem.

EuroCrash
    Check your skewers, maybe add a little grease to the contact surfaces.