Continental GP4000 4 Season Sidewall Failure
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Sidewall Failure

10x8qc2.jpg

Almost killed descending Grimselpass due to catastrophic sidewall failure. Google search shows so many accounts of others having similar issues. Please check sidewall for threads unraveling. I spent the night in the hospital in Interlaken with a concussion and torn shoulder ligaments.

Never will I put a Continental tire again on my bicycle. I feel lucky to be alive since my Garmin showed I was descending at 54km/h when it blew. I don't want my wife to be a widower because of terrible quality at Continental.
    Last edited by BruiserBob; 05-07-2016 at 09:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Is it a gran prix 4 season (which is what it looks like) or a 4000s or 4000s II ?

Most of the accounts I've seen of sidewall failures for Continental tires have been on the original 4000s tire. I don't see many, if any for the 4 Seasons.

I've been running gran prix four seasons on all of my bikes. Probably 10k miles on them across 4 sets (25mm and 28mm). The sidewalls all look as good as new. I get about 4k miles on the rear tread before I move it to the front.

Is is possible your brake was rubbing the tire? or your rim overheated or something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Fixed the title, yes Grand Prix 4 Season. No brake pad alignment issues, perfectly on the track. Those tires are death traps. I feel lucky to be alive. Was going 51km/h when the sidewall failed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Would you mind linking other instances of this happening with this tire? PM if you prefer? I've been riding this tire for a couple of years under the impression that they are safe and reliable. I'm keenly interested to know that this isn't the case.

I haven't had so much as a flat tire on mine in over 2 years of riding them year round, some if it on crappy roads in crappy pacific northwest weather.

Edit: LOL the *only* instances I found doing a google search for "Grand Prix 4 Seasons Sidewall" were YOUR posts on other forums (slowtwitch). Everything else was for the 4000S tire.

I guess my point is, tires can fail for lots of reasons. There could have been a cut earlier in your ride, or you hit something on your fast decent and didn't realize it. Even an occasional manufacturing defect can occur.

I don't really see condemning the entire stock of these tires, or even all Continental tires, as death traps. From what I can see looking online, they seem to be safe and reliable.
    Last edited by Migen21; 05-07-2016 at 10:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Search the Wheels/Tires sub-forum, Conti sidewall issues are not new, although I don't remember seeing any in quite some time.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Migen21, you send me the money for shipping from Zurich Switzerland, I'll post my rear tire to you gratis. Find a nice 11% descent and try it for yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruiserBob View Post
    Migen21, you send me the money for shipping from Zurich Switzerland, I'll post my rear tire to you gratis. Find a nice 11% descent and try it for yourself.
    Migen's point is good and valid one. I understand being upset and injured, this is cycling, sh*t happens. If it's a common problem with the model why not offer him, and all of us, links that help substantiate that as opposed to a snarky reply that just makes you like a shill.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Big is relative
    The picture shows a wear line leading to the ripped sidewall. It looks like a few MTB tires I wrecked in my early days due to misaligned brake pad. I've had a couple of sidewall failures a few years ago on GP4K's but it wasn't a ripped sidewall, it was a small section that failed along the direction of the casing which is angled to the rim, not parallel.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I had a GP4000SII that I bought at REI rip apart on me. I bought the tire, inflated it to 80psi for the front and the next morning the tire had ripped similar to the one here. Not one mile of cycling on the tire. Luckily I was able to catch a refund at REI. I moved on to Michelin Pro 4 endurance after that which has been a very good tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    sorry to hear about the injuries.

tires, like all mass-produced items, are bound to have some small percentage of defects that still pass QC checks.

assuming it's allowable under Swiss law, you could try suing Continental for medical costs and/or pain/suffering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    |
    Yes, actually, I'm going to take you up on this.

PM me your paypal address and what you need for compensation for the shipping of the tire to the west coast of the US (98021 zip code). I'll even throw in a little extra to cover your time and materials.

In the mean time, could we trouble you for a picture of the rest of the tire, or at least one that shows more of that side of the tire?

It's important to know if this is a one time problem for this tire, or if there really are safety concerns with the ALL Gran Prix 4 Seasons tires.

If there are, this is the first I've heard of them. Everything I've read about Continental side wall failures has been related to the older model Gran Prix 4000 S, which I don't use.

I really need to know if I should be pulling these 4 seasons off of my bikes, and if I do, what tire can I replace it with that is similarly durable, and has never had a sidewall failure?
    Last edited by Migen21; 05-08-2016 at 06:27 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a sidewall fail on a rear, 25mm 4-Season. Fortunately, there was more annoyance than drama. It had 3500 miles on it, was obviously worn, and I shouldn't have tried to nurse it along. I replaced the tires with lesser Grand Prixes; the rear got a small sidewall tear pretty quickly and the front and rear both started flatting at 1700 miles. Replaced with Hutchinson Intensive. After they wear I'm likely going back to 4-Seasons. Notwithstanding the occasional defect another poster noted, you get what you pay for with 4-Seasons.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    If nothing else this thread made me double check my brake pad positioning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those tires are death traps. I feel lucky to be alive. Was going 51km/h when the sidewall failed.
    You're being overly dramatic. 51km/h (about 32mph) isn't all that fast. A tire blowout doesn't necessarily mean you're crashing. Even if you do, chances are you'll get some good road rash but will be fine otherwise. Sorry to hear to fared a lot worse, though.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Looks like a section of sidewall separated from the bead. Chances are pretty good that this is a manufacturing defect unless the tire was stressed excessively in that section. Was the tire difficult to mount?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Yes the older ones had a reputation but from what I saw it was the threads breaking out. You could monitor it and it was mostly cosmetic vs. full blow outs. What happened to you sucks, sorry to hear it but there are thousands of loyal Conti users that have never had problems. See what Conti says and switch to whatever is makes you comfortable. Good luck.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-an-key View Post
    Yes the older ones had a reputation but from what I saw it was the threads breaking out. You could monitor it and it was mostly cosmetic vs. full blow outs.
    This doesn't look like the typical Conti sidewall issue of fine carcass threads (the "TPI" stuff) breaking. Apparently, a section of bead or stranded kevlar bead core ripped away from the sidewall instantaneously. No monitoring this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The tire in the first post is not the GP 4000S that typically suffered from he sidewall failures. The OP titled the thread incorrectly, and I think it's causing folks to associate those problems with his issue.

The tire pictured is a Gran Prix 4 Season 320 TPI tire This tire has not had a history of issues like the GP 4000 has.

Just based on the picture, it looks like that tire was cut. Perhaps by brake rub, or perhaps by something in the road. I don't see frayed threads or any kind of thin area that might indicate a manufacturing defect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Just based on the picture, it looks like that tire was cut. Perhaps by brake rub, or perhaps by something in the road. I don't see frayed threads or any kind of thin area that might indicate a manufacturing defect.
    Not sure how you can say it was caused by brake rub, as the 'cut' sidewall appears to have come from well below edge of the rim. Looks like it separated from the bead to me.

I notice the tire was mounted to a CF rim with CF braking surface. Given I gather this occurred during a long downhill decent, I wonder if the tire got overheated from too much braking. Just pure speculation on my part, but CF rims don't dissipate braking heat as well as AL rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe it's wishful thinking - because I have a new set of these on my bike - but the line leading to the failure, and the failure... are right where I'd expect to see a tire fail from a misaligned pad. But, at the same time, it does look to be in line with the bead... Could you post a couple more pics:
    - Another like the one you posted... maybe a bit better lit ;-)
    - From the inside of the tire at the failure
    - From the inside; adjacent to the failure

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    My statement was not definitive. My observation is the same as yours, based on the picture

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    One thing I wondered about in this thread is putting 4K on a rear tire and then rotating it to the front. No way I would ever go that direction. Maybe front to back but preferably not. Good luck cornering well on a tire that has seen 4K of wear from the back wheel. Sometimes tires just have to be disposed of or relegated to the rollers.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    You're being overly dramatic. 51km/h (about 32mph) isn't all that fast. A tire blowout doesn't necessarily mean you're crashing. Even if you do, chances are you'll get some good road rash but will be fine otherwise. Sorry to hear to fared a lot worse, though.
    Years ago I had a rear wheel lockup at 45mph and never even came close to going down. It did skid right through a brand new tire, however... The lockup came from a drawstring on a stuff sack strapped under the saddle - the drawstring came loose and snagged on the presta valve.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

banned
    Nov 2009
    operator error.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast