Cost Shipping a Bike

Printable View

• 07-20-2020
    Inspector Gadget
    Cost Shipping a Bike
    Iím looking to sell a Softride frame, fork, & beam on eBay. I stopped by UPS and the Post Office to check on retail shipping costs. Basically $100-$200. Using eBayís shipping calculator, Iím getting rates closer to $55 for economy services. Is that accurate, given eBayís shipping discounts over retail? Basically, I want to avoid selling, only to find that shipping turns out to be $150, when I quoted $55, based on eBay estimates. Thanks in advance for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-20-2020
    DaveG
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Gadget View Post
    Iím looking to sell a Softride frame, fork, & beam on eBay. I stopped by UPS and the Post Office to check on retail shipping costs. Basically $100-$200. Using eBayís shipping calculator, Iím getting rates closer to $55 for economy services. Is that accurate, given eBayís shipping discounts over retail? Basically, I want to avoid selling, only to find that shipping turns out to be $150, when I quoted $55, based on eBay estimates. Thanks in advance for advice.

Try Bikeflights.com. They usually offer the lowest rate. $55 does seem low to me though
  • 07-20-2020
    tlg
    +1 for bikeflights. Their rates are really good.

I shipped a complete bike with $3k insurance, 3day shipping, and signed receipt for $100.

Try their shipping calculator. I guesstimated sizes for your frame, fork, & beam and came up with under $50.
  • 07-20-2020
    PJay
    In E bay, I have been clicking for other shipping options, and have found fedex to be lowest cost. Not bikes; i have shipped a guitar and a couple synths over the recent few months. Fedex has drop-off at different area businesses.
  • 07-20-2020
    Inspector Gadget
    Thanks for the BikeFlights recommendation. I hadnít heard of it before. Looks like $55 for 6-day, coast to coast.

• 07-20-2020
    DaveG
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Gadget View Post
    Thanks for the BikeFlights recommendation. I hadnít heard of it before. Looks like $55 for 6-day, coast to coast.

The times I used them, the bike shipped with FEDEX. I dropped it off at the FEDEX depot near my house. No hassle and way cheaper than if I shipped with FEDEX to begin with
  • 07-20-2020
    burgrat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The times I used them, the bike shipped with FEDEX. I dropped it off at the FEDEX depot near my house. No hassle and way cheaper than if I shipped with FEDEX to begin with

My experience as well. I definitely think BikeFlights is a great option.
  • 07-21-2020
    DaveG
    Quote:

Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    My experience as well. I definitely think BikeFlights is a great option.

One other advantage of Bikeflights is that you measure it yourself and print the shipping label. I have never had anyone at FEDEX measure or weigh anything, so if your dimensions are slightly over the max, you wont get pushed into a higher cost bracket
  • 07-21-2020
    jardo808
    Bike flight for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 07-21-2020
    rideit
    Has anyone mentioned BikeFlights yet? :p
  • 07-22-2020
    DaveG
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Has anyone mentioned BikeFlights yet? :p

I am waiting on my commission check from Bikeflights
  • 07-22-2020
    tlg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The times I used them, the bike shipped with FEDEX.

Same here. It looks like now they are affiliated with UPS.
    Not that it matters. Other than potential drop off locations.
  • 07-22-2020
    OldChipper
    I've had mostly good experience with BikeFlights domestically and internationally. A buddy had a SIGNIFICANT delay in shipping with them back from Italy however (to the point that he actually went out and bought another bike) - though that could have easily been due to personnel issues on the Italian side.