Counterfeit Components
    Satanic Watch Winder

Counterfeit Components

I saw on the LOOK web site that counterfeit Look products, especially 585's are showing up on ebay. They said to avoid anything from China or East Asia with the Look brand. Of course, I found this out after puchasing a NOS Look fork on ebay. It wasn't from China though. However, in Google Images I see an I.D. sticker at the base of the steerer tube in all photos. Mine doesn't have the I.D sticker. It would seem that if someone was going to the effort of faking a component, adding a one inch square sticker wouldn't be an effort. Does anyone know anything about this?

Rollin' Stones
    It doesn't suprise me. With all the fake stuff on eBay, jerseys, ipods, autographs, it wouldn't suprise me at all to find grey market pieces and componoents. Not to be crass, but, why would anyone buy something from China? That is a red flag to me.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

keep rubber side down
    There's been Zipp imitated stuff as well, check their web site.
    “There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.” Tom Robbins

"See, at my age and level, one is racing for glory. There can be glory finishing dead last. But there will never be any glory cheating to win." S. Lamarre

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    are there counterfeit Look Keos. I have purchased several sets from ebay. I weigh them and things seem to be on the straight and narrow.

banned
    In asia, we have a lot of Look frames that have fake serial numbers on them. They came out of the factory directly and you can get a set of frame for less than $2K. You can also get Cervelos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I don't know if I would be too worried about these "counterfeit" items. It isn't like they are counterfeit hundred dollar bills that are completely worthless and useless.

I bought a couple sets of Ram bars from Taiwan, along with a couple of Ram seatposts, and they have been just fine for 3,000+ miles. Now, I did buy a couple of Zipp rims from Taiwan, and one of them did crack, but I did hit several nasty potholes with it before it broke. Those potholes were the type that caused the brake lever to move downward if I was on top of the hoods when I hit them.

Honestly, do you think some counterfeit place would be able to produce a Zipp rim with the dimples, etc.? Something tells me that these pieces are items that have been stolen from the factory, or somehow Zipp/Look have a Tawainese factory building them and the factory itself is selling them on the side for some additional profit. I know Cinelli is now made in Tawain, so I am willing to bet that is the deal with the bars and posts I bought off of ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Midnight production runs. It's happening to all the fashion designers too. The only thing that's "counterfeit" is that they not getting the money.

You'd think a company would care about their product, quality and customers enough to put a representative on site to monitor the factory, but most are too cheap.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by android
    Midnight production runs. It's happening to all the fashion designers too. The only thing that's "counterfeit" is that they not getting the money.

You'd think a company would care about their product, quality and customers enough to put a representative on site to monitor the factory, but most are too cheap.
    I should point out that hiring a representative for monitoring is very expensive, seeing as you have to have someone you can trust implicitly (which probably means a non-local hire who's going to want a premium for living where the factory is), and/or you have to pay them enough that it's not worth it to them to participate in the scheme. You don't have to be a cheapskate to find this cost prohibitive.

My own company is considering this for our fulfillment operation (not even manufacturing), and it's a difficult nut to crack. Hard to have someone in a remote site whose loyalties are entirely to those he works FOR instead of those he works WITH.

But you're probably right that the only way to stop the midnight runs and skimming is going to be "policemen" from the paying clients.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Is quality control for midnight runs the same?

They guy who did unpainted Wilier Le Roi group buy on Bikeforums for 15% of Wilier list price explained teh legality of the deal. A factory by contract can not sell the top of the line model. He could not do Wilier Cento. But contract gives the factory a right to use molds for the last year top of the line frame after it stops being top of the line. The factory manufactures ti and it goes out as a generic frame or under a different brand name.
    My question here is whether QC stays the same or gets weakened?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I would not touch them

I think we've seen lots of recent of evidence that Chinese manufacturers don't mind selling dangerous or defective products. A "midnight run" is likely to have even less integrity than the normal prodict

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    This is kind of scary as I just ordered a new Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 44 stem from eBay (for a good price). After I completed my order I noticed it is being shipped from Hong Kong. Then I looked at the sellers record-99.99%. It's shown new in the box, "never used" I would think that someone would have to go to some very extreme lengths to duplicate something. ....To tell you the truth If I would have notice it was shipped from Hong Kong, I would not have ordered it.....I shall soon find out...oh well..

Come to think of it, it's probably made in Taiwan anyway, so why worry...
    Last edited by Dinosaur; 01-31-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    I usually try to stay away from international sellers for bike stuff, but I'm also weary of US seller on Ebay.

But when it comes to high end materials (eg: CF or Ti) that stuff is hard to fake out of some cheap factory. Not to mention the materials are expensive themselves.

I just dropped a little over 100 on a EC90 seatpost and I had no concerns, since CF isn't something you can fake, or the easton CNT logos etc...
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    A couple of years ago I boughta pair of Sora STI`s for my winter bike form Turkey. They where cheaper than expected( don`t remember the price). The strange thing was that Sora STI levers had logos with "8 speed" and 'Shimano Sora". My levers where 7 speed and where and there was no "Sora" logo on them.Just a "7 speed logo".
    Turks ar famous for fake clothing and Mercedes auto parts, in fact you can actually build a whole Mercedes from fake turkish parts( they also manufacture auto parts under license).