Counterfeit SRAM??
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Counterfeit SRAM??

Just getting back into cycling after a very long break and picking up some Rival components for a steelie...

I understand the topic of fakes has been discussed but wondering if anyone's come across any fake SRAM components?? They are actually made in TW (at least for Rival) so hearing about fake parts would not surprise me...

Or what counterfeit/fake components have you come across?? A search revealed LOOK pedals are/were once counterfeited...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Not sure about cycling specifically, but my other way of avoiding doing anything too serious is radio controlled model aircraft flying. Basically, if anything is made for my hobby, there's Chinese rip-offs of it around somewhere.

Oddly enough, EBay is a good source for these cheap copies...

There's good chance that some of the rip-offs come from the same factories that are supplying many of the major names' stock - why toss out rejects if you can sell them cheap to the US via EBay?

The Chinese are good at 'reverse engineering - they've had lots of practice, after all. A country that's copied/ripped-off a Mig jet fighter and the AK47 assault rifle would have no issues with rip-off SRAM if there's money in it.

D

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    yea, i'm coming from a golf world where we run across counterfeit clubs quite often. I'm just getting into the cycling world, and was wondering how common its been with bike components these days. a golf forum i visit often would "call-out" suspect ebay sellers with potential fake items/auctions. even posting comparison pictures (fake vs real) and such.

This space for sale
    I haven't really suspected any to be counterfeited. Clothes on the other hand...
    Sometimes I ride my bike to nowhere, to see nothing, just so I can ride my bike.