Cubicle Bicycle Storage Ideas Needed
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Cubicle Bicycle Storage Ideas Needed

My office is relocating. Currently, I simply park my bike behind me in my cubicle. My new office has a bigger desk area that comprises a U shape. I'm looking for a bike hook that is like an over the door type hook where I can hang my commuter bike on my cubicle entrance wall. So far I haven't found anything that I can put over a cubicle wall like you see over the door hooks for jackets and towels. Any one know if something like what I'm thinking even exists or is this an opportunity to ghetto rig something up with duct tape?

Thanks

GT

Low rep power
    Good question- I'm lucky in that someone in my office is always in the field at least one day a week (or on vacation), leaving me their cube to use for bike parking. Seriously.

(we have tiny cubes that won't fit a bike and a person)

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Is a folding bike an option?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    There should be no reason why you couldn't go to the hardware store and buy a length of threaded or non-threaded rod. Bend the rod to hook over your cubicle wall and accommodate your bike's wheel.

If you don't want to bend the rod, I see no reason why you couldn't cobble something together with some material from the same display where the threaded rod is found. There's usually right angle and flat stock found there, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P.
    There should be no reason why you couldn't go to the hardware store and buy a length of threaded or non-threaded rod. Bend the rod to hook over your cubicle wall and accommodate your bike's wheel.

If you don't want to bend the rod, I see no reason why you couldn't cobble something together with some material from the same display where the threaded rod is found. There's usually right angle and flat stock found there, too.
    Guess a bike specific cubicle hook doesn't exist. Maybe I can be the one to market one. Group buy anyone?

GT

donuts?
    i put my bike behind my chair and then fall asleep.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

I didn't even own a cat..
    http://www.organizeworld.com/hook-ov...-cubicles.html

Do a search for cubicle wall hangers or hooks....
    2008 Louis Garneau Sonix 6.4
    2002 KHS Flite 500
    1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ncvwnut
    http://www.organizeworld.com/hook-ov...-cubicles.html

Do a search for cubicle wall hangers or hooks....
    I found that while google searching. Didn't come up with anything. I think I might get some self-tapping screws and install a wall mount hook. Anyone know if a typical cubicle partition wall can handle this?

GT

waterproof*
    why's it have to be in your cubicle? is there a storage area or a basement hallway out of the way somewhere?
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    why's it have to be in your cubicle? is there a storage area or a basement hallway out of the way somewhere?
    Cause there's plenty of people in the office ready to play practical jokes on me and I would rather not have my bike vulnerable. Guess I should have thought about the consequences before putting post its under people's optical mice for April fool's last year.

GT

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by gtran1502
    . Guess I should have thought about the consequences before putting post its under people's optical mice for April fool's last year.

GT

Excellent idea- thank you

Just Plain Bitter
    I found this a number of years ago and actually did it at my last job. Works really good

http://berserk.org/cbr/
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quit. Then home will be where you park your bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Another alternative would depend on the type of ceiling above your cubicle.

If it's a dropped ceiling, with a grid of ceiling tiles, pop the tiles and see what's up there. If there's a sturdy beam up there, you might be able to secure a cable to it and run it through a small hole in the correct tile, then attach a hook for your front wheel.

Don't ask permisssion to do it, just forgiveness afterwards...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    My last storage area had a dropped ceiling. I popped the corners up on a couple of tiles and zip tied a 2x4 (6" long) to them. Had a bike hook in the 2x4. Hung bike from that. Bike is not that heavy. Just zip tie right at a connection to the rafter and you will have no problems. Upper-level folks may be another story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I use the Rubbermaid fast track system in my garage - the components are well made and work well.

I don't think it would be a big stretch to fabricate a metal bracket to hang over the cubicle wall and attach to the either of these products.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Pages/Prod...ts.aspx?k=bike

Good luck with your search

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    a big hook might do. a big iron or rod might do with that. and form it like a hook?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I made one for my cube years ago by bending some flat metal stock and it worked quite well.
    Another option besides threaded rod would be PVC. Easy to work with and wouldn't scratch the bike.