Current Sram Etap vs upcoming etap 12 speed - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Would have been much better if they used the 11 tooth cog as the starting point for the set up instead of 10, so people don't need to change hubs. That would have improved the rate of adoption I think. Maybe Shimano will go that route when they move to 12 speed.
    A 10 allows for wider gear range and smaller chainrings.

I don't think drivetrain manufacturers should have to guarantee backwards compatibility. This is Grant Petersen-esque logic which would have kept the industry stuck in the past: quill stems, friction shifters, bar end shifters, steel only frames and forks, 7 speeds is good enough, etc.

10 tooth is a great idea for functionality; maybe not so great for supporting prior investments.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I heard it that way, too, but then GCN stated that you can buy the crank without the PM, but according to SRAM it can be easily upgraded to add the PM. So, would this mean that it's not really totally integrated? Will the crank have to be sent to SRAM for some special fitment or can it be down at home?

See statement at 7:35 mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=l--uZffTpfM
    They are indeed 1 piece...powermeter/chainrings. Just got a message from our rep stating 'with proper drivetrain maintenance we're expecting 6-7 years from the rings'.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Pack Fodder.
    I love that SRAM is looking towards adding some sort of functionality with the extra gear, even if it really doesn't appeal to me at this time. I also like that they got several other manufacturers online with the required hub configuration ahead of time. It just makes the transition that much smoother. However, if Shimano adopts another hub standard on what I assume they're developing now, it's just going to be a huge mess. Kinda like bottom brackets.

Let's be serious, though. This is a very expensive groupset that requires a significant investment to install on an existing bike and will likely only be installed on top tier bikes for the near future. Until Force goes 12 speed and Shimano introduces their version, I don't expect that we'll see a wholesale rush to 12 speed drivetrains. When that does happen (and it will), I'll be more than happy to scoop up a bunch of the "outdated" 11 speed stuff (that's still supported) and make my own move, as the NOS 10 speed market will likely be running dry by then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    It's got very close gearing in back in your high cogs, and the 10t cog allows a smaller chainring setup which I think is great - much easier to stay toward the middle of the cassette on flat ground for me. The shifting is a bit faster in back, supposedly faster in front, but I didn't find it noticeably different in the front to be honest.

It's a slightly different XD driver for road, but very similar, and it'll be fully compatible with the MTB 12 speed etap if you want to run a 1x.

If you want to run regular road gearing and a double, the 11s setup will likely perform really well. I don't, so I'd absolutely get the new stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    might be interested for a 12sp 1x system, but that cassette would be huge, like on mtn bikes. But eliminating the FD and left shift mechanism might help save some of the cassette weight gain. Hey we all used 2x6spd in the 80s.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 02-08-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    They are indeed 1 piece...powermeter/chainrings. Just got a message from our rep stating 'with proper drivetrain maintenance we're expecting 6-7 years from the rings'.
    Thanks. Can you find out if one would need to send the crank to SRAM to have the power meter added or is that something that can be done outside of SRAM?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If waiting for the latest thing is what you want to do you should never buy anything because the latest thing is always right around the corner. Or be set to change every few years.

I'd get what suites your needs and budget regardless of what came before and might come afterwards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The world is full of curbs and baggage handlers saying "hold my beer and watch this".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    i have a stable of bikes all on shimano 11 speed, and I like to the fact that I can interchange wheels between bikes with ease. For people like me, I reckon they'll be hesitant to go to Sram 12speed due to

1. cost
    2. XD wheels
    3. cost of XD cassettes (not sure why they're so expensive!)

I barely find any benefit (if at all) going from 10spd to 11spd, so I'm wondering what would going to 12spd benefiting, other than to have the latest toy?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    i have a stable of bikes all on shimano 11 speed, and I like to the fact that I can interchange wheels between bikes with ease. For people like me, I reckon they'll be hesitant to go to Sram 12speed due to

1. cost
    2. XD wheels
    3. cost of XD cassettes (not sure why they're so expensive!)

I barely find any benefit (if at all) going from 10spd to 11spd, so I'm wondering what would going to 12spd benefiting, other than to have the latest toy?
    Because they're machined from a single billet. Takes a comparatively long time to make one.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Count me out. I'll ride my original eTAP until it doesn't work anymore and I can't get replacement parts. After that? I'll probably migrate over to Shimano Di2. Just recently moved to a DZero power meter too. The whole idea of replacing the power meter every time you wear out your chain rings is the most laughable thing I've read in a long time....

Pack Fodder.
    Again, we're talking about an "apex" groupset. Once 12 speed rolls down a bit, I expect that Quarq 12 speed power meters with normal chainrings will be available. XD cassettes will likely come down a bit as well, as the need to be as light as possible is relaxed. Right now all we're seeing is the absolute top of the line, not what they can do with fewer restrictions.

I'm still looking for that Force-level eTap group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usaroads View Post
    10 tooth is a great idea for functionality; maybe not so great for supporting prior investments.
    I'd rather have an extra cog on an 11/28 cassette with my current crank than a 10 tooth cog - but perhaps I'm an anomaly.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Banned forever.....or not
    12 speed people will need to buy new wheels.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    12 speed people will need to buy new wheels.
    Depends on who made your hubs. Some are a simple freehub swap. Shimano Microspline hubs made by DT Swiss or Onyx are just that.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Most of the big manufacturers already make XDR freehubs, and sell a kit so you can fairly easily (in most cases) swap between them (to/from Shimano 11sp or Campy).

It's still a bit of a hassle, but it's not necessary to buy new wheels if you already have one that can be made compatible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12