Current Yakima towers
    Russian Troll Farmer

Current Yakima towers

OK, I'm looking to replace my current car with a new Subaru, and I want to carry over as much of the equipment I have invested in my Yakima roof rack. I have the classic round bars, and have several items which fit that style bar, and won't fit an aero bar. I plan to either order a model which doesn't have any of those 'roof rails', but they DO have a 'groove/track' that supposedly fits a wide variety of racks. The Subaru dealer only deals in Thule racks, however.

So, what I need to discover is what tower will a) fit into the groove (NOT the style that clips onto the door frame), and b) connect to 1" round Yakima crossbars. I'm not concerned whether the towers are Yakima, Thule, or some other manufacturer (aside from risking buying some cheap Chinese knock-off).

Does anybody have a setup like this? Pics if possible?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    All of their towers work with round bars and I'm sure they have a tower to fit whatever car you get. I had the exact same wishes (keep all my old stuff) when I bought my Crosstrek although that car doesn't have the groove you describe.

Yakima's website can probably tell you what towers you need based on whatever car you're getting.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    .... I bought my Crosstrek although that car doesn't have the groove you describe.
    Ummm....yes, it does. I've seen quite a few Impreza wagons with clampless Thule rack towers. Also, Yakima has been selling aero bars for several years. But, thanks for your answer..........
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I just bought the Subaru(Thule) aero crossbars and Rocky mounts Jetline bike trays last year for my Crosstrek. My Yakima round bars were 30+ years old and the plastic was flaking off. They had been through 4 cars and 3 sets of towers. The Subaru bars are a little easier to secure than the Yakima towers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Current Yakima towers

What model Subaru are you getting for us to help you? All the Crosstreks I know of already have the raised rails, and with mine, though Thule I simply used their strap on towers, the Thule Crossroads. I am sure Yakima makes something similar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Ummm....yes, it does. I've seen quite a few Impreza wagons with clampless Thule rack towers. Also, Yakima has been selling aero bars for several years. But, thanks for your answer..........
    You mean this groove that my factory rails fit into?

IMG_0434.jpg

I guess I never noticed that since it's of no importance to me. But, regardless of your eye-rolling, my answer still stands. All of Yakima's towers work with round bars so whatever you find that fits that groove will work with your stuff.

I've always found Yakima's website to be pretty spot-on when it comes to searching for stuff that fits a certain car. You oughta try that.

I fail how to see what the history of Yakima's aero bars has to do with anything since you yourself said you're not interested in them.
    Last edited by dir-t; 06-12-2019 at 02:16 PM.