Custom paint job vs OEM
    RoadBikeReview Member

Custom paint job vs OEM

Hey everyone...

I have two options.

(1) buy an OEM custom painted frame or
    (2) get a ready-to-paint frame and have it professionally painted

I like the OEM custom-painted frame okay (cool design) but am not in love with it.

I have a color-scheme/design in mind for the custom paint, but just worried that the aftermarket paint scheme may not hold up as well. I know here in Ca, environmental laws are pretty strict and I've heard that they do NOT allow certain "hardeners" to be used when painting. Seems like without the hardeners, the paint could chip more easily and just not hold up as well? Peel? etc.

I am no paint expert by any means, but that's just what I've heard. The frame would be painted by a professional local painter who does pretty cool paint jobs, but just concerned about durability. BTW, it's a gravel bike so lots of off road stuff.

If you've had your bike custom painted or just knowledgeable about custom paint vs OEM paint, would love to hear your suggestions/inputs.

Thank you.
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Enjoy the new bike but know it won't be new and pristine for long if you use it like it was designed to be used.

Even the OEM paint job will get scratched and chipped. It's unlikely the bike will be a lifer so just get what makes you happy and then ride the sh!t out of it. My lifer bike is unpainted Ti and each scratch on it is a story and well earned. If you want a painting to hang on a wall that's another story.

These guys do some great work and aren't in California. They did a great job on my track bike, which now has a chip in the front fork from the 2011 earthquake which triggered a tsunami that hit Fukushima and killed thousands. I think on the scale of things to worry about my bike's enduring finish is not that important. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Enjoy the new bike but know it won't be new and pristine for long if you use it like it was designed to be used.

Even the OEM paint job will get scratched and chipped. It's unlikely the bike will be a lifer so just get what makes you happy and then ride the sh!t out of it. My lifer bike is unpainted Ti and each scratch on it is a story and well earned. If you want a painting to hang on a wall that's another story.

These guys do some great work and aren't in California. They did a great job on my track bike, which now has a chip in the front fork from the 2011 earthquake which triggered a tsunami that hit Fukushima and killed thousands. I think on the scale of things to worry about my bike's enduring finish is not that important. Good luck.
    I hear ya about just enjoying the ride. Believe me, I do haha. Especially with my off road gravel bike(s), I know they will get dinged and scratched. I just didn't want to end up with a paint job that just started peeling or flaking just from getting exposed to the elements.

Thanks for the feedback.
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thats an expense question to me. If both paint jobs are equally durable, Id be hard pressed to spend the scratch on a custom paint job. If custom is less durable, Id never never consider it. I can totally see wanting a look you love, cycling is a sport concerned with looking good, its one of many things I love about the sport, honestly.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Send it out or talk with a custom painter in Ca. I would be surprised if they would paint something that would not hold up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Send it out or talk with a custom painter in Ca. I would be surprised if they would paint something that would not hold up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Black Magic Paint in Portland Oregon does really nice finishes.

They do OEM work for several boutique builders as well as one off designs for individuals.

http://www.blackmagicpaint.com/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is just announced and something you definitely should consider for custom paint jobs.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/10/pro...rt-water-more/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    This is just announced and something you definitely should consider for custom paint jobs.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/10/pro...rt-water-more/
    The car industry has been doing this for years. Just get the auto stuff as it will most likely be cheaper and better as it's designed for vehicles that are exposed to the harsh elements

One of many:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=9h+nano+c...l_6paypyti43_b
    Last edited by Methodical; 1 Week Ago at 08:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    +1 but not sure it will protect your paint from off road stuff

RoadBikeReview Member
    My only painted bike is my cc/gravel ride and I'm not sure if I'd buy another painted one. The entire lower portion is just covered with scratches and chips and looks like hell now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    +1 but not sure it will protect your paint from off road stuff
    You could use some of that clear stick on protector for the bottom of the frame where stuff gets kicked up against the frame in addition to the ceramic coating. It will most likely still get damaged somewhere though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    You could use some of that clear stick on protector for the bottom of the frame where stuff gets kicked up against the frame in addition to the ceramic coating. It will most likely still get damaged somewhere though.
    3M makes some it goes on with soapy water should help protect your bike better than a ceramic wax

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up passing on the custom paint as it ended costing more than anticipated. I did pick up a pre custom painted frame set however...
    31FB33AF-ABE1-43FB-947E-B4DDB409CDB9.jpg
    EyeGuy