Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    What are you willing to give up to save the planet?
    Nothing. I am part of the process.

The planet will eventually be a bare rock floating in space regardless of what any of “us” do or don’t do.

But in the mean time do we really need to destroy animals and rain forests and anything else in the name of helping the “virus” live on?

How much is enough?

We are genetically programmed to self destruct. Just being ok with that and accepting it is a start.

Thus I say, it is inevitable. The end is near.

A utopia is not in the cards for us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

The planet will eventually be a bare rock floating in space regardless of what any of “us” do or don’t do.

But in the mean time do we really need to destroy animals and rain forests and anything else in the name of helping the “virus” live on?

How much is enough?

We are genetically programmed to self destruct. Just being ok with that and accepting it is a start.

Name:  a.e.newman.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  114.0 KB
    Too old to ride plastic

banned
    Sep 2015

How much is enough?

A utopia is not in the cards for us.
    No, just the opposite in fact. We are not genetically programmed to destruction. That is your version which pretty much all scientists would disagree with extrapolating from the history of man. We are genetically programmed to survive as Darwin taught us. Survival of the fittest. The weak die which includes animals in the wild.

Humans are consumers. Part of that consumption in an effort to survive if not flourish is to consume the planet. This may or may not be the root cause of man's ultimate destruction. Right now we have the opportunity if it gets too hot to move to the northern hemisphere unless it too gets too hot or goes underwater. Then it will be come Waterworld :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM9XhdUByh0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Dave, based upon what you write, when does the planet become uninhabitable with our current trajectory? When do you forecast...I live in FL that came through a hot summer...as the nation right now it enduring record cold including FL, when will our destruction to the planet in terms of CO2 emission ruin it for future life?

What I am hopeful for. To me...I am with SS in the uncertainty of the 'trajectory' of man's contribution to global warming. I believe if you knew including all the guys with PhD in front of their name, then we could chart our course better in terms of a global initiative. You already said, that man's contribution of CO2 is small relative to the planet's natural emission. Who truly knows this ratio?

I am not in the camp that man isn't contributing to warming the planet on some level. Question that is currently not answerable with the natural cycle of heating and cooling is, what exactly is man's contribution?

Let me give you a glimmer of hope. Modern man has been on the planet for 200,000 years. Early man roamed the planet for 6 million years. During the last 200K of years, what have we seen in terms of escalation of technology which btw created what you consider man's contribution to our planet's annihilation. Technology is geometric. Cars of even the 1960's had no emission controls other than EGR. Cars today run a lot cleaner. We could do better still. IC cars maybe obsolete some day.

Point is...man's contribution to CO2 doesn't have to be linear moving forward. I believe in the next 30 years, alternative energy sources will be created that are cost effective and much less polluting. AI and supercomputers will help develop it. Unlike man's capacity to think which is limited by evolution, machines can be engineered to vastly out think us. Hopefully this will not only help to stave off disease and future birth defects but also clean up the pollution that we are contributing as we inhabit the planet. Don't lose all hope is the point.

I certainly don't have any forecast for when the world will end . I very much doubt the entire planet will be uninhabitable either way. I'm not so naive to think I know much of anything about how global climate works and only go on what the highly educated people with PhDs gather. If we don't trust those highly educated individuals who make it their life's work than who can we trust? Donald Trump?

If our CO2 emissions were a small amount we wouldn't see a clear spike in CO2 levels after the industrial revolution. The Earth accounts for it's own CO2 in a balanced cycle. We add more CO2 into that cycling creating an imbalance. What is very easy to understand is when you have a system that's designed to keep itself in balance but add a significant source of gas that isn't accounted for; the system will eventually become unbalanced and fail. Besides getting warmer; exactly what will happen and if there is some sort of tipping point won't be absolutely known until we actually observe it. Either way there has still been tons of documentation of habitats being strained or destroyed by climate change already. The oceans take it much hard than we land lovers do but since we don't live in the oceans it's more a situation of out of sight out of mind. Your local weather in FL or even for our entire country doesn't mean much of anything.

I honestly worry more about all other species of life that we are currently destroying due to our negligence which goes well beyond climate change. I'm not someone who believes the world will completely end and all will be lost. It's the potential for destruction and current destruction already being observed by our activity with little to nothing being done about it that bothers me. Since we create our own habitat it has little to no direct effect on us currently.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    I honestly worry more about all other species of life that we are currently destroying due to our negligence which goes well beyond climate change.
    hashtag me too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hashtag me too.
    run amuck

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/lo...re-366653.html
    Too old to ride plastic

banned
    Nov 2009
    "Forests are being thinned out to make way for avocado plantations. Intensive farming on this scale contributes to greenhouse emissions by its very nature and places pressure on local water supplies."
    stop eating avocados, some say.

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderators Note

To paraphrase The Big Lebowski, "This ain't PO Man, there are rules".

Stand by for the bans. Update: Bans issued.

Second Update: In a Festivus miracle, I won't be handing out posting vacations to everyone who turned my perfectly nice General forum into PO, despite knowing better. But consider this my airing of grievances. You don't want to see the Feats of Strength.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678