Cycling in Kauai? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by skygodmatt
    Take a boat along the Na'Pali coast.
    Make sure you leave from the North side out fo Hanalei.
    Napali Catamaran is the one I used. They rock.
    I did the Captain Andy's tour from the other side. We were in a zodiac boat and were able to go through the sea caves...super cool. I don't think they can do that in winter though.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    The best thing I've done in Kauai has been a 1-hour ultralight flight with Birds in Paradise. Absolutely the most fun I've ever had off the ground! Flew up the canyon, and along the Napali coast, flying in and out of some of the coastal valleys. On the way home we flew off the coast by the missile range, and had a great view of 4-5 pods of humpbacks. I was controlling the plane for about 1/3 of the flight. If you go to Kauai, you've got to try it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Can anyone tell me how the road and/or mountain biking are in Kauai these days? I'll be visiting soon.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I was there two years ago and would be absolutely terrified to ride on the roads (no shoulder, TONS of traffic, tourists looking at scenery instead of bikers). There is a MUT near Wailua that might be fun though.

Can't speak to the MTB riding. The hikes we did made me think biking would be less than fun due to mud.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Haven't ridden there, but the ride up to Kokee state park along Waimea canyon is one of the "big 4" Hawaii climbs. Haleakula gets all the press but this route is very scenic and challenging as well.

I think maybe they started charging out-of-staters to park at the top starting 1 July but not that much.

Note that there was a massive rain / mud slide on the far north west end of the highway and they just opened the road a couple weeks ago, but it has become a local vs tourist flash point at least for driving. Maybe cycling wouldn't cause such a stir.

From Lihue to Kapaa or even Princeville, and the other way to Poipu is heavy traffic and I don't think that much fun. If you get west of Poipu heading towards Port Allen and then Barking Sands I think it is much better for riding.

scott s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I ended up riding twice there, last week, both times in Waimea Canyon. It was nice. I started both times between 6 and 6:30 AM which probably helped in traffic avoidance. I also took the western-most route, up Kokee, at the suggestion of the rental shop, as it gets less traffic. Speed limit is 25 mph, traffic was pretty light, and drivers were courteous, so they were nice rides.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12