Cycling routes in Switzerland and Northern Italy
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Cycling routes in Switzerland and Northern Italy

I was hoping someone could help me with routes to ride, or avoid, in Switzerland and northern Italy. I will be bringing my road bike, but it is our 10th anniversary so no 4-5 hour rides (unless she gets a moped). We are staying in Lugano, Bellagio, and east of Verona. Honestly, I don't know the language well, but I am taking some Swiss and Italian online drivers courses, so hopefully I will at least know the rules. I know to visit the Ghisallo along Lake Como but are there other areas I should explore?

Any sites that are a must see?

We are hoping to catch the tour di lombardy, but they just changed the course. We had what would have been a room on the final climb into the city. oh well.

Thanks in advance,

B

RoadBikeReview Member

Rode there last spring

There is lots of good riding near Bellagio/Lake Como. Riding around the lake sounds like a good idea but you have to ride through several long (5km) tunnels. You can ride up to the Ghasallo which is a small church dedicated to cyclists. It is filled with bikes ridden by the likes of Coppi, Merckx and Pantani. There is Moser's hour record bike and lots of jerseys and other memorabilia. It is a pretty good climb up to it but anyone can make it with a little patients.

Have a good trip!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Here is a site that might be helpful. Enjoy your trip.--Cheers.
    Utpal

http://www.cycling-in-switzerland.ch..._einstieg.html

Mar 2004
    I know you said you were bringing your road bike, but if you and the lady want to do a little mountain biking as well, Switzerland is an amazing place for it. And as luck would have it, you can rent BMC mountain bikes at many locations throughout the country. Check out www.switzerlandtourism.ch for spots to ride (click on cycling and skating, then on mountain biking) and also http://www.rent-a-bike.ch/2004/index_e.html for info on bike rental. Have fun. Love them alps.

classiquesklassieker

Cycling maps in Switzerland

I don't know about Lugano (I usually spend time around the Lac Le Man / Lake Geneva region), but most bookstores carry cycling maps which are excellent, and with clearly marked recommended cycling routes and elevation information. They are a bit costly (around CHF 30 each) but they are worth the price for sure. They are listed at:

http://www.cycling-in-switzerland.ch/

There is a set of 9 "national cycling routes" in Switzerland, criss-crossing the country, and they are very well-marked and are usually a good bet. The locals can give you more detailed recommendations, but staying on these cycling routes will show you the paths with less traffic for sure.

No matter what you decide though, roads in Switzerland are incredibly well-marked, so you can't possibly get lost. So enjoy your trip and send us a coupla nice ride reports ;-).

Jul 2004

Lugano

I was based in Porto Ceresio -- just over the CH border in Italy -- and had some great circumnavigations of Lake Lugano -- around the southern half of the lake (which is divided in half by a causeway between Morcote and the eastern shore.

The causeway has the highest traffic, but once you get to Capolago and turn around the southern shore in Italy (bring your passport, the Swiss border guards are picky about it when you try to get back in, the Italians could care less), the traffic eases up. My favorite segment of the ride is in Switzerland on the road into Morcote -- beautiful hillside village, ther view of which is best appreciated from the Porto Ceresio vantage point.

If you poop out there is a lake steamer from Porto Ceresio back to Lugano (I don't know their bike policy).

It's a very popular ride on Sunday mornings. Tons and tons of road bike riders out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Wow, thanks everyone for all the replies. However, I have one last request. Florence. It looks like since the tour di lombardia is being re-routed, we will be changing our plans and going to Florence. My question is this, the hotels in the city center are booked or are very expensive at this time. Is there a location outside the city that has train service AND good riding?

Thanks,

B