Are cycling shoe sizes the same as tennis shoe sizes?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Are cycling shoe sizes the same as tennis shoe sizes?

So I know cycling shoes are supposed to fit very differently than tennis shoes but I'm wondering if the numbers correspond those changes or if those changes need to be compensated in the numbers.

For example, if you wore a size 10 tennis shoe, and you picked up a size 10 cycling shoe, would those two shoes be designed around the same sized foot taking their individual priorities into consideration and in turn be physically different sized shoes, or would those two shoes be physically sized the same and you as the wearer would need to go down in size when buying cycling shoes to compensate for the shoes needing to be different size for different purposes?

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    The best way to get shoes is trying them on before the purchase; different brands will feel different.

I were Specialized Expert road shoes size 43 (about 9.5) and my tennis shoes size is about 9.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You will drive yourself insane assuming that anything in the sizing mess is consistent, Even tennis shoe sizes are so bad that sites that sell a lot of these post recommendations as to order with the bad sizing.
    I tried to get some shoes online and the 45s I ordered were off by 1 1/2 sizes.

You have to try these out to see where each individual shoe ends up. There is also rarely any consistency within brands. These days, when shoes are made all over the world, there is very little that is constant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I have found that you can use your size tennis shoes as a starting point. Even within cycling shoes, there are variations. For example, size 43 works for me for most shoes. But with Sidi, size 44 is the winner.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I agree with most of the above advice, but my experience has been a bit different. I wear size 48 wide cycling shoes, & as you can imagine, there are almost NO stores that you can just stop in to try a pair on. That means either have the bike store order them for you or buy a pair on line. I usually done the latter with very good results. Over the years I've owned many different brands. Some I liked, some I didn't, but the sizing was pretty consistant. A 48 wide in brand X is prery much the same as brand Y's.

You also stated "I know cycling shoes are supposed to fit very differently than tennis shoes ".
    Many people advocate getting shoes that fit snugly. I disagree. Your cycling shoes should fit like a good pair of running shoes. As you ride your feet will swell. If your dogs start barking nothing is going to feel good. I suggest you shop for shoes near the end of the day when your feet are at their largest. Also consider that you'll want to wear heavier socks when the weather turns cool.

When I shop for shoes I look for 2 things:

1. Do they fit well...not too snug, not too loose. They need to be comfy & fit like a good pair of running shoes.

2. I look at the soles. Ever since I had a pair of shoes with carbon fiber soles I won't be without them again. I'm not talking about soles that have carbon fiber injected into them or are part carbon fiber. For the soles they have to be all carbon fiber. Yes, they're more expensive but you can pretty much count on them lasting 5-10 years or more with minimum care.

Be sure to shop for shoes late in the day when your feet are their largest. Don't buy them too tight because your feet will swell when you ride, and if your feet ain't happy, ain't nuttin' happy.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.