Cycling Zurich Switzerland
    S80
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Cycling Zurich Switzerland

I will be traveling to Zurich for the first time, for work and have managed to allocate two days of my trip to cycling. I have reserved a decent road bike and will be bringing my own pedals, shoes, kit, etc. At home, I'm B+ rider.

Questions:
    - anyone on this Board ever cycled in Zurich, and if so, what are some of your impressions, watch-outs, recommended routes, etc.
    - Any good websites that summarize biking routes

The below link is a site I have been reading, but having trouble understanding how the routes intersect with the city, etc.

http://www.veloland.ch/en/welcome.cfm

I heart team Zissou!
    I've cycled in and around Zurich plenty of times. Just ride out to the west and you'll be fine.
    Biking round the world -- Where have I been with my bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I currently live in Zurich and road bike from my apartment on Lake Zurich at least 4 times a week. You can't go wrong with a ride around Lake Zurich (clockwise direction is best imo). For some hill climbing ride from Pfaffikon, Schweiz up towards Einsiedeln or ride from Meilen to the top of the Pfannenstiel. There are bike paths all over the place and the motorists tend to be aware of cyclist for the most part.

You can also check out this link to some local rides.

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/234/region/4049

Have a great time in Zurich and enjoy your rides!

S80
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Thanks!

The site is great - how many KM around the whole of lake Zurich? I see the route on the site is 65km but that one takes the ferry to Horgen.

Quote Originally Posted by thaugen
    I currently live in Zurich and road bike from my apartment on Lake Zurich at least 4 times a week. You can't go wrong with a ride around Lake Zurich (clockwise direction is best imo). For some hill climbing ride from Pfaffikon, Schweiz up towards Einsiedeln or ride from Meilen to the top of the Pfannenstiel. There are bike paths all over the place and the motorists tend to be aware of cyclist for the most part.

You can also check out this link to some local rides.

http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/234/region/4049

Have a great time in Zurich and enjoy your rides!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    The ride around lake Zurich is approximately 67km without taking the ferry from Horgen to Meilen. It's a nice 2 - 2.5 hr ride that can be extended with various side trips or shortened with a ferry ride (3 CHF).