Cyclist Kills Pedestrian in NYC - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    it's a story worth a mention because it is so incredibly rare and unusual, freaky

meanwhile automobiles kill how many per year in NYC alone ...
    Know of cyclists injured by pedestrians jumping out from between cars, crossing and injuring a cylist. member of local club was incapacitated for months. no charges were filed either.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    What exactly is a MUT and what do the initials or letter mean?

Here is an example of some of the bike for thrills type in NYC traffic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-d66WBIo9I
    Looks like a death wish.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member

Some really impressive handling skills, but a moron if I ever saw one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    squeezing between vehicles is one thing...the blatant running of red lights qualifies the rider as a world-class jagoff.

not impressed.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Some really impressive handling skills, but a moron if I ever saw one.
    There were two morons, the one we saw and the one with camera.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdash View Post
    There were two morons, the one we saw and the one with camera.
    Three counting the guy at the end that tangled with the car...

Sswitzky
    Sep 2018
    I live in NYC and ride Central Park around 4 times a week. There are around 15 major crosses that are controlled with lights on the 6 mile loop. I’d guess less than 5% of cyclists obey the signals. Mostly tourists. Instead, cyclists judge the pedestrian presence as they approach the cross and continue on if possible and slow down or even stop if necessary. I know I am breaking the law when I do this. I know I could get a ticket if a cop wants to do so. They rarely do. I know if I hit someone when doing this it’s ultimately my fault. Add to this that the park is filled with people jaywalking while staring at their phones with headphones on, rental bikes with clueless tourists riding without helmets, taking selfies, and weaving all over the road. Oh yeah, horse drawn carriages and pedicabs taking up multiple lanes while the driver chats up the fare to improve their tips.

Still, if I hit someone running a light it’s my fault.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sswitzky View Post
    I live in NYC and ride Central Park around 4 times a week. There are around 15 major crosses that are controlled with lights on the 6 mile loop. I’d guess less than 5% of cyclists obey the signals. Mostly tourists. Instead, cyclists judge the pedestrian presence as they approach the cross and continue on if possible and slow down or even stop if necessary. I know I am breaking the law when I do this. I know I could get a ticket if a cop wants to do so. They rarely do. I know if I hit someone when doing this it’s ultimately my fault. Add to this that the park is filled with people jaywalking while staring at their phones with headphones on, rental bikes with clueless tourists riding without helmets, taking selfies, and weaving all over the road. Oh yeah, horse drawn carriages and pedicabs taking up multiple lanes while the driver chats up the fare to improve their tips.

Still, if I hit someone running a light it’s my fault.
    That entire park, and that MUT specifically is for THEM, not you. Period. Clueless looking at their phone? Taking selfies as a tourist in the greatest city on earth? Handsome cab? Yep.They are the reason for the park and MUT. Cyclists are the problem. I know that some very strong cyclists on solid teams train there, and they make an effort to train at super low traffic times... Any use of any trail by a road cyclist means that you cannot “train” on the venue because, de facto, you need to place the safety of every other trail user above your own wants. You know that trail better than I do, you are a local, I’m visiting from “the shore...” But I have never seen that trail sparsely populated enough to allow anything that resembles training in a safe manner. If a drunk tourist is weaving along at any hour of the day or night, and that is a very real case, it is the cyclists responsibility to ensure their safety in your brief interaction even if it means stopping and passing on foot. It is not a shared trail when it comes to a road bike.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That video is insane, you and rider your following move harmony like the wind and effortlessly glide around the obstacles that get the way... I guess we all have different perspectives as to why we ride our bikes, where we ride and how we ride...

The BMX kid was pretty reckless and appeared to have no real understanding of the methods of riding in the Big City but more of I'm stupid and think I'm cool so lets see what I can get a way with today and live another day mind set
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member

Multi Use Trail
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Multi Use Trail
    Thanks for explaining. I have no recollection of having ever seen the abbreviation MUT before and wasn't EXACTLY sure what it meant when I read the first post in this thread that used it.

In Googling I did find one type of MUT was a highway interchange configured I think to prevent people turning left into oncoming traffic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    That video is insane, you and rider your following move harmony like the wind and effortlessly glide around the obstacles that get the way... I guess we all have different perspectives as to why we ride our bikes, where we ride and how we ride...
    I don't know if you noticed it but the main rider almost bought it about three-fourth of the way through the video. He is riding to the far right and he is approaching a moving Yellow Cab going his direction in the lane directly ahead of him. He starts to set up or drift to pass on the left near the cab as the two of them are moving. However, suddenly the cab brakes to pullover to the right curb thereby cutting the time and space for the bicyclist to make or finish his original initiated move as he now had a surprise instant half the time and half the distance to do his thing. He was lighting quick but missed hitting the cab from behind by inches.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    it's a story worth a mention because it is so incredibly rare and unusual, freaky

meanwhile automobiles kill how many per year in NYC alone ...
    I live in the area... NYC does not charge vehicular homicide in most occasions. Truly bizarre and I don't know why. A guy at work asked me if he should run over our boss knowing that the worst that could happen would be a ticket... I said no.

Walking through Midtown is hazardous and I feel for the family of this poor woman. As a cyclist is pisses me off when I see delivery guys or just dumbass Citibike users on sidewalks, going the wrong way on a one-way street or running lights.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12