Cyclist Kills Pedestrian in NYC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,132

    Cyclist Kills Pedestrian in NYC

    Cyclist was issued a ticket for running a red light. No charges filed, at least none yet...

    Pedestrian Dies After Being Struck By Cyclist In Midtown: Gothamist
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,531
    Cyclist should be charged in this case.. just like a vehicle driver would be charged. (ps. I have not read the article yet, so I reserve the right to change my mind if there is some extenuating circumstance that I cannot think of at the moment)

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    530
    A few years ago, an elderly lady was killed by a cyclist while on an early morning walk on a local MUT..

    In this case, everyone was doing the right thing. The pedestrian was walking on the right side of the trail. The cyclist approached and passed at about 15mph (per Garmin GPS data), announcing "On your left".

    The lady, who wasn't a frequent trail user, was startled, and turned directly into the path of the cyclist and was knocked on her back, hitting her head. She died of her injuries a few weeks laters.

    No fault was found. The municipality, giving in to media pressure, changed the posted speed limit on that trail from 15mph to 10mph. No one pays attention to this, and no one enforces it either.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,132
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Cyclist should be charged in this case.. just like a vehicle driver would be charged. (ps. I have not read the article yet, so I reserve the right to change my mind if there is some extenuating circumstance that I cannot think of at the moment)
    She was in a cross-walk, crossing. He ran the light and killed her.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,433
    Condolences.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,049
    it's a story worth a mention because it is so incredibly rare and unusual, freaky

    meanwhile automobiles kill how many per year in NYC alone ...
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nayr497's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    It is a shame when anyone needlessly dies. And this will just be used by anti-cycling folks to condemn cyclists.

    That said, I admit that I used to find the helmet-cam videos of cyclists bombing around NYC, SF and other cities exciting, back when I was new to cycling and urban cycling. Now, quite a few years later, I have no interest in watching them. I also wish more cyclists followed the laws, as well as gave themselves the best chances of NOT being hit. Not victim blaming at all. But something for me like choosing a quieter road that runs parallel to a much busier road - why not? I see it all the time in my city.

    At this stage, when I'm gettin' older, have a wife and a child who depend on me...I'd rather ride my bike and arrive safely than ride dangerously.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ROAD&DIRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    982
    Condolences to the family of the pedestrian using the crosswalk...

    In reference the "FINX"...Sadly to say road bikes should not ride local MUT.
    IME the average walker/jogger on these trails have no idea what "on-your-left" means or any other method of relating your approach to pass. Let along those who wear earbuds and don't even hear you call out at all. Leaving these individuals startled and typically moving them self into your passing direction and staring at you like startled dear in headlights which usually doesn't end well for anybody.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

    "There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

    "Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Condolences to the family of the pedestrian using the crosswalk...

    In reference the "FINX"...Sadly to say road bikes should not ride local MUT.
    IME the average walker/jogger on these trails have no idea what "on-your-left" means or any other method of relating your approach to pass. Let along those who wear earbuds and don't even hear you call out at all. Leaving these individuals startled and typically moving them self into your passing direction and staring at you like startled dear in headlights which usually doesn't end well for anybody.
    I ride streets, roads and MUTs and have found that "On Your Left" is, like you said, a waste of breath. I put a https://www.spurcycle.com/products/better-bicycle-bell on a couple of my bikes and it's one of the best upgrades I've done. No one gets startled, either looking over their shoulder and moving or holding up a hand and stepping aside. And if somebody is wearing ear buds I still know how to holler for 'em to get out of the way.

    Funny story,
    There's some road construction on one of my routes, and the other day I came up on about 5 of the surveyors and dinged my bell as I slowed. They started looking around at the ground and as I filtered past them they started laughing and commented that they thought that one of them had dropped something.
    Too old to ride plastic

  10. #10
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,843
    At least he didn't stop and shoot her. That would look less accidental.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  11. #11
    δanned
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,924
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Cyclist should be charged in this case.. just like a vehicle driver would be charged.
    So in other words, he won't be charged. (sad but true)
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,132
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Condolences to the family of the pedestrian using the crosswalk...

    In reference the "FINX"...Sadly to say road bikes should not ride local MUT.
    IME the average walker/jogger on these trails have no idea what "on-your-left" means or any other method of relating your approach to pass. Let along those who wear earbuds and don't even hear you call out at all. Leaving these individuals startled and typically moving them self into your passing direction and staring at you like startled dear in headlights which usually doesn't end well for anybody.
    This. At least locally... Some folks here have wide open less traveled MUTs, I don’t. They are used by strollers, walkers, joggers... I’m my mind, it is MY responsibility to pass safely, even if I need to come to a full stop, confirm that someone is aware and safe and then proceed. Sometimes if a runner is coming toward me on the road, properly using the correct side of the road, and we are being overtaken by traffic, I will stop and wait for them to pass me to make everything very clear and to avoid either of us from being forced out into the road. I like to communicate, I’ll use my behavior, my words or gestures, and I say thank you to polite drivers when I have the chance.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  13. #13
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    This. At least locally... Some folks here have wide open less traveled MUTs, I don’t. They are used by strollers, walkers, joggers... I’m my mind, it is MY responsibility to pass safely, even if I need to come to a full stop, confirm that someone is aware and safe and then proceed. Sometimes if a runner is coming toward me on the road, properly using the correct side of the road, and we are being overtaken by traffic, I will stop and wait for them to pass me to make everything very clear and to avoid either of us from being forced out into the road. I like to communicate, I’ll use my behavior, my words or gestures, and I say thank you to polite drivers when I have the chance.
    It is stated on some MUTs and implied on others that everybody has the right of way over bikes - that is pedestrians and horses where they are allowed. On MUTs that horses are allowed on, you are supposed to dismount and walk your bike past the horse, so as not to spook him/her.

    Road&Dirt has a point about not allowing "road bikes" on a MUT. I wouldn't ban a type of bike, but I would say a speed limit should be set. MUTs are for casual riding, not racing or workout speeds.

    Also, as stated before, non-cyclists have no idea what "on your left" means. When I pass a pedestrian, I say "bike passing on your left". Unfortunately, many pedestrians are wearing earphones and oblivious to the world around them.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,241
    Of the 754 pedestrians killed on city streets in the half decade before Tarlov's death, three pedestrians were killed by cyclists.
    that's 3 out of 754, or a whooping 0.4%. But yah, let's hang all cyclists. Got to love that logic there.

  15. #15
    δanned
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,924
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    that's 3 out of 754, or a whooping 0.4%. But yah, let's hang all cyclists. Got to love that logic there.
    It's sensationalized because it's so rare. Over 40,000 Americans get killed by cars every year, so for the media it's something of a banality.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gûl-n’ anakhizak.

  16. #16
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,366
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Condolences to the family of the pedestrian using the crosswalk...

    In reference the "FINX"...Sadly to say road bikes should not ride local MUT.
    IME the average walker/jogger on these trails have no idea what "on-your-left" means or any other method of relating your approach to pass. Let along those who wear earbuds and don't even hear you call out at all. Leaving these individuals startled and typically moving them self into your passing direction and staring at you like startled dear in headlights which usually doesn't end well for anybody.
    This.

    I ride my favorite MUP during off times when I know it will be fairly deserted.

    When I ride and it's crowded with clueless walkers, strollers, dog walkers, and people who have toddlers playing on bike-shaped toys... I ride real slow around people. Sometimes I STOP. No yelling "on your left" at ancient couples strolling, or toddlers with training wheels.

    And when I get going again, I blast my guads back to cruising speed... and look at that slow-stop-blastoff segment as interval training.

    What gets my goat more than people who treat the MUP like it's a playground or street corner... are the local clubs (I guess), racers, etc, who ride in fast packs and don't slow down for anybody. The pelotons and strava-nuts just scream and yell at the poor souls who are just enjoying their one nice day on the MUP for the year, and yeah, sure, now and then they might be loitering on the MUP and occasionally blocking it with their kids and dogs.

    Aggressive cyclists yelling at the clueless "we only go to the MUP for an hour or so and only on the first nice day of the year" people... That crap gives all of us a bad name.
    Last edited by SPlKE; 05-10-2019 at 07:47 PM.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,049
    nonsense. utter nonsense. The roadies fit in perfectly with the rest of the MUT traffic here. Any problems with it are infinitessimally trivial compared to the risks of
    - pedestrian crosswalks across roads
    - roads and highways without a breakdown lane/bike lane
    - texting, eating, arguing, drinking while driving with pedestrians and cyclists in the vicinity


    I just do not get the problem here unless the trail is chock a block like a NYC sidewalk at rush hour

    Just ride in an appropriate manner for MUT use. depends on other traffic concentration, sightlines, trail width etc

    Also, since MUT have become an important part of the commuting infrastructure of cities (they certainly are here in Victoria), perhaps we should considering banning pedestrians from said MU trails. Pedestrains have literally a hundred parks to walk in where bikes are not allowed, some of them world class hiking trails here.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 05-10-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    530
    In the case I cited above, the trail involved is in a rural area and is never crowded. It's a 10 mile uninterrupted rail trail that is mostly used by commuters. There is some foot traffic at either end where there are Parks, but generally speaking it is very safe to ride there.

    In response to the comments about "on your left", I think it's silly to dismiss it outright as ineffective.

    There are certainly situations where a voice warming or bell are beneficial. In the area I live in, the posted trail rules require it.

    Not all trails are the same. I commute 17 miles each way on what amounts to a bicycle super highway. Foot traffic is nearly non-existent except for small sections near either end of the trails, and that is mostly on weekends.

    Those of us who use the trails daily develop a bit of Spidey Sense for recognizing dangerous situations and taking the necessary steps to keep everyone safe


    I do get annoyed with people on there aero bars with their earbuds in bombing around at 25mph and just being generally unsafe.

    There is no enforcement of speed limits or other safety rules. It's only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt or killed. It's sad that it has to come to that before anything will change.
    Last edited by Finx; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:11 PM.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,470
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    nonsense. utter nonsense. The roadies fit in perfectly with the rest of the MUT traffic here. Any problems with it are infinitessimally trivial compared to the risks of
    - pedestrian crosswalks across roads
    - roads and highways without a breakdown lane/bike lane
    - texting, eating, arguing, drinking while driving with pedestrians and cyclists in the vicinity


    I just do not get the problem here unless the trail is chock a block like a NYC sidewalk at rush hour

    Just ride in an appropriate manner for MUT use. depends on other traffic concentration, sightlines, trail width etc

    Also, since MUT have become an important part of the commuting infrastructure of cities (they certainly are here in Victoria), perhaps we should considering banning pedestrians from said MU trails. Pedestrains have literally a hundred parks to walk in where bikes are not allowed, some of them world class hiking trails here.
    Yep, those trails laid on abandon railroads are great for cycling: no tight curves, shallow grades, and the one around NVA form straight line commutes between urban hubs. Walking on those is really boring and it takes forever to get anywhere. Riding a bike at 15+ mph is the perfect speed. Scenery goes by not too fast, not too slow.

    Trouble is, in older urban areas these paths are connected to sidewalks, cut throughs in parks and between cul de sacs, so the kids can ride to school off road. The speed differentials between bikes and pedestrians aren't that great, so nobody gets hurt.

    Those rails to trails MUTs are like super highways for cyclists. Wouldn't want them to be shut off to pedestrians, but walking them during cycling season is dangerous as hell with groups of cyclists doing 20+ mph.

    Agree with Spike, Road&dirt, and PBL. Respect the right of way of pedestrians, kids on bikes, and the occasional horse. Slow down to 15-10 mph, shout "bike passing on your left" from as far back as possible, and politely curtsy around the slower traffic. I once hit a nice woman walking her groceries home in a cart; knocked her down. It was embarrassing. I ran off onto the shoulder a couple of times going too fast and choosing the wrong line, once making a dead stop in a ditch and falling over hard on the tarmac, fracturing the collar bone.

    It just doesn't make sense to assume the right of way on an MUT. Sharing them is the way to go. Go with the flow, as on city streets, respect cross walks and intersections. Then riding becomes safer than walking. Cyclist is the fastest moving vehicle and in total control. The faster he goes, the faster he has to compute his options and maneuver, so he chooses what's comfortable.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,132
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    It's sensationalized because it's so rare. Over 40,000 Americans get killed by cars every year, so for the media it's something of a banality.
    Yep. Journalism 101: “dog bites boy” is not a story. “Boy bites dog” is.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  21. #21
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,184
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Yep. Journalism 101: “dog bites boy” is not a story. “Boy bites dog” is.
    Ha!!!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,608
    Lots of bad cyclists, that said if a cyclist causes a pedestrian injury or death it gets disproportionate media attention due to bias in the media and hatred of cyclists by the public. Far more deaths caused by vehicles and most of the time those don't make the news. If a cyclist breaks the law and causes a death or injury the onus is on him or her but lets not pretend the there's no media bias here. And if a cyclist gets hurt we assume its the fault of the rider. First thing the media goes after is whether he was wearing a helmet. The stories usually say cyclist hits truck instead of the the other way around.


    Where I live some of these are the fault of pedestrians, not legally of course because the law tends to assign the blame to the larger vehicle, but I constantly will ride and have to stop because a pedestrian insists on crossing when they have a red light or crossing in the middle of the street where they are not expected to.
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 05-12-2019 at 12:49 AM.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    120

    .

    .....
    Last edited by ridesmasterx; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:01 PM. Reason: .

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    A few years ago, an elderly lady was killed by a cyclist while on an early morning walk on a local MUT..

    In this case, everyone was doing the right thing. The pedestrian was walking on the right side of the trail. The cyclist approached and passed at about 15mph (per Garmin GPS data), announcing "On your left".

    The lady, who wasn't a frequent trail user, was startled, and turned directly into the path of the cyclist and was knocked on her back, hitting her head. She died of her injuries a few weeks laters.

    No fault was found. The municipality, giving in to media pressure, changed the posted speed limit on that trail from 15mph to 10mph. No one pays attention to this, and no one enforces it either.
    my opinion is that if someone passes a pedestrian at 15 mph on a MUT, they are not doing the "right thing". Maybe legally, but it's definitely not the right way to pass a pedestrian on a MULTI use path. In my world, cyclists yield to pedestrians, and that means slowing the F down.

    That's why I hardly ever call out "on your left". It's dangerous. The only safe way to pass a pedestrian is at pedestrian speed, just a little faster than what they're walking. Again, my opinion for what it's worth.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GlobalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    486
    What exactly is a MUT and what do the initials or letter mean?

    Here is an example of some of the bike for thrills type in NYC traffic:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-d66WBIo9I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Unlicensed driver kills cyclist in NYC
    By merckxman in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 05:14 AM
  2. Cyclists kills pedestrian running a red light..
    By High Gear in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 04:15 AM
  3. cyclist vs pedestrian in SF
    By CoLiKe20 in forum Northern California
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM
  4. Cyclist strikes and kills 77 y/o pedestrian
    By Applewave in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
  5. Cyclist kills pedestrian (or what is an unmarked crosswalk?)
    By filtersweep in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 01:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.