Damnit, Grumble. Chip Seal Sucks. Full Stop.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

Damnit, Grumble. Chip Seal Sucks. Full Stop.

So, I have the luxury of having Grand Teton National Park as one of my local riding playgrounds. Stunning scenery, great pavement.
    Well, they are going to chip seal the whole thing.
    I guess this rationalizes my gravel bike purchase a little bit, it will be better with 38mm tires.
    Or maybe even just 28ís or 32ís...
    (First World Problems)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Chip seal is usually bad for only the first week or two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    They chip seal a lot of the roads in my neck of the woods - northwest New Jersey. Usually in the late summer & early fall. My main complaint is that a lot of loose gravel ends up on the shoulder, and remains there until the first snowstorm when the plows clear it off. Also, there have been a few roads that were beautifully paved with nice virgin asphalt, and then they came back and put chip seal on top of it.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Chip seal is usually bad for only the first week or two.
    Chip seal is SH1T compared to beautiful, black asphalt.
    There is no contesting this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    bitd, they used to take great pains to resurface the roads...

crews would fill the cracks with tar, put down fresh asphalt, compact it with giant rollers, and heat-seal it with burner trucks. the result was so nice...

chip-seal is just a lazy, cheap, nasty way to deal with the problem.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your 38mm tires sounds like a splendid idea. Some nice road tires, I recommend Compass/Rene Herse Barlow Pass. What ever brand you decide, a nice plump file tread road tire will go a long way towards smoothing out that chip seal.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    A Teton aside... how high in elevation do you ride?

The last time I was in the Tetons was when I was driving down to Jackson from Missoula. I remember gasping for air going over whatever Teton I had to cross on that route.

I'm a sea level dog. A big fan of having lots of oxygen.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    A Teton aside... how high in elevation do you ride?

The last time I was in the Tetons was when I was driving down to Jackson from Missoula. I remember gasping for air going over whatever Teton I had to cross on that route.

I'm a sea level dog. A big fan of having lots of oxygen.
    On the roads, Teton Pass is a bit over 8k, and Tewinot Pass is a bit over 9, so nothing too crazy. Most of the road riding is between 6 and 7. Mt biking goes up to 10.5.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    On the roads, Teton Pass is a bit over 8k, and Tewinot Pass is a bit over 9, so nothing too crazy. Most of the road riding is between 6 and 7. Mt biking goes up to 10.5.
    Heh. I spent two weeks in Angel Fire NM at 8k.

After a day or so, I got acclimated and started doing some hiking up the ski trails -- it was the end of May. At the end of the two weeks, I was completely acclimated to 8k.

When I was flying back to philly, as the plane was descending across ohio and PA, I was feeling like a fish that just got tossed back in the water -- thick, highly oxygenated air. For a few hours after we landed, I felt like I could flip over cars with my bare hands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Of course asphalt is nicer, but chip seal is no big deal once the loose gravel is gone. Half the roads around here are chip seal and everybody rides them using standard (23 mm or 25 mm) road tires. You certainly don't need a gravel bike with 38 mm tires for chip seal.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Of course asphalt is nicer, but chip seal is no big deal once the loose gravel is gone. Half the roads around here are chip seal and everybody rides them using standard (23 mm or 25 mm) road tires. You certainly don't need a gravel bike with 38 mm tires for chip seal.
    I kinda alluded to that point at the end of my post..,

banned
    Always wondered why TX DOT would pour stones over smooth asphalt. The stones work their way into the seal, and yes, the road gets smoother after the first year.

Chip seals provide an effective moisture barrier for the underlying pavement against water intrusion by sealing cracks in the pavement. Chip seals prevent deterioration of the asphalt surface from the effects of aging and oxidation due to water and sun.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And its 1/4 to 1/5th the cost of asphalt. Bummer.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    They chip sealed part of the Blue Ridge Parkway a year and a half ago and turned smooth road with occasional crack and hole here and there into a goat track. It was actually a relief to pass back onto the old pavement section. I rode it today and it is much better but still a little unpleasant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    While this is generally true, the size of the stones used in the chip seal has a big impact on how it smooths out.

As a general rule, road agencies would rather not use chip seal, but since a bunch of people have concluded that we shouldn't spend enough money on roads to keep them in good repair, a lower cost (and short term) fix like chip seal is the only option available.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013

New asphalt is the ride for me,
    Smooth pavement far as the eye can see...

Keep macadam, just give me that asphalt ride.

(I came up with that one a tour in the NC mountains after turning onto a new asphalt road following thirty miles of chip seal - also known as macadam or tarmac).
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    beauty of disc brake road bikes. Just throw on a 650B 2 inch tire wheelset and enjoy the smooothless on chipseal until it packs down to being like asphalt in a few months. Then replace with your 700c 25mm GP5000 wheels and carry on
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    New asphalt is the ride for me
    For best results, let cure for two months and go thru a couple of good rains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my experience, chipseal is never as smooth or as fast as real asphalt. Here in mid-Michigan they don't lay down enough oil to bed in the stones; so most of it ends up in the shoulder and what stays in the lanes is pretty much just like smooth gravel.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    For best results, let cure for two months and go thru a couple of good rains.
    My guess is that you are too young to remember the theme song to "Green Acres".

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    And there's a cover version of the "Green Acres" theme song to the tune of Hendrix's "Purple Haze."

Russian Troll Farmer
    Probably 90% of the people here are too young to remember. Damn how old ARE you?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Probably 90% of the people here are too young to remember. Damn how old ARE you?
    was a teenager when GA first aired.

and don't forget the tie-in with Petticoat Junction...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    In my experience, chipseal is never as smooth or as fast as real asphalt. Here in mid-Michigan they don't lay down enough oil to bed in the stones; so most of it ends up in the shoulder and what stays in the lanes is pretty much just like smooth gravel.
    Yes, absolutely! Iím excited, Iím seeing a ton of real deal paving projects locally (Jersey Shore). Iím seeing almost as much as after Superstorm Sandy nailed us. The new asphalt is fast and wonderful to ride! We have chip seal too, meh. If traffic is light and I can ride in a tire track itís not that bad, but it sucks compared to real asphalt surface. If you have the misfortune of wrecking on chip seal youíll see the worst thing about it. Sliding on a giant cheese grater is awful.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I was old enough where I can recall almost that entire song, but for the life of me I don't understand your tie-in to my post. I remember Petticoat Junction but not details about that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    And there's a cover version of the "Green Acres" theme song to the tune of Hendrix's "Purple Haze."
    I had to look that up. Quite funny, but you know a band called Elvis Hitler isn't going to make it very far.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    "I was old enough where I can recall almost that entire song, but for the life of me I don't understand your tie-in to my post. I remember Petticoat Junction but not details about that show."

Your post was denigrating my comment about new asphalt. My little song was a take-off on the Green Acres theme (I used the word "new" in the opening stanza because a single syllable had to be there - and a three month old asphalt road is still a "new" asphalt road when compared to a ten year old one):

"New asphalt is the ride for me,
    Smooth pavement far as the eye can see...

Keep macadam just give me that asphalt ride"

This is the sort of thing the mind will do in the midst of a week long loaded tour in the Appalachian mountains...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast